Cleaning Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troyedwards

Reaction score
I just recieved four 19L post mix kegs. I need to clean them. I will be using nappysan on advice of a mate who has never had a problem, I understand there are many other ways to skin a cat.

are there any tricks/ tips for cleaning well, and drying?

i tried a search of the forums, but was unable to find any threads dealing with cleaning kegs.

Also, while I am at it, are there threads on cleaning beer lines (Iam new to kegging and need all the adivce I can get)

ok first off give them a good clean, Get yourself some keg lube (or food grade equivalent). I would take the posts off and the poppets out of the posts put a little napisan in 2 glasses (or little containers) and fill with warm water. I say 2 containers as one for each post (this is so you know which one is which) If you do get confused just try a d/c on one but dont force it you will soon find out if its the gas or beer one.

Then fill the keg 3/4 full with warm napisan solution (prob a cap and a half of napisan) then leave it sit upright for about 30min or so then get a bucket and put over the top and quickly flip it upside down. Prob get a bit wet first few time lol . if the whole top of the keg isnt submerged pull the keg up and let a bit more water into the bucket. Again leave 30+ mins.

rinse everything very well (prob 3-4 times). put a little lube on the poppets and dip tube rubbers and assemble. Then sanitise when you are ready. I just leave mine upside down with the lid off to dry. also put little lube on the lid o ring. I would hook it up and check for leaks before you fill it with beer. The poppets may leak if they dont seat properly so depress them a few times till they seal. The lid may leak I found if you wiggle it a little or hit it with 300 kpa for a few secs it will seat.

For the lines, gas wouldnt worry about maybe soak in napisan once a year. But for the beer just fill keg half with napisan (when your cleaning it) connect to the gas and beer line and just run the solution threw, Do this with clean water and sanitiser as well when you are doing it to the kegs. pull the taps off and apart every few keg changes and soak and clean, lube them up.

There are a few threads already on this one, here is one I found: Keg Cleaning thread

I tend to keep my empty kegs under pressure onec they blow, and only give them a clean just before its time to fill them again.

yeah, as kelby says, pull em apart completely, remove the gas in and beer out tubes, posts, valves etc. give them a good soak.

My procedure is pretty simple, and causes me no problems.

Once a keg is empty, it goes to my brewery's "cleaning and sanitation department" (aka: the laundry).

3 or 4 hottest tap water rinses.

then half fill with hot water, add a cap of napisan, fill to the top with cold tap water until it foams out of the top. Lid goes on and it sits for 30mins or so...

Then it gets a few more hot water rinses, and then i prepare a 2lt solution of my no rinse sanitiser.

Store keg like this until i need it again.

Sometimes i do "optional" steps below. (if i have the time/can be arsed).

I then leave it for a while, and when i have time, i then put this keg's contents through my beer lines to clean them out too. I know it's probably not the best product for that, but i find it works well for me.

Then reconnect lines to the new keg of beer and discard the first pint to get any trace of sanitiser out of the lines, and from then on i'm drinking it.

I say 2 containers as one for each post (this is so you know which one is which) If you do get confused just try a d/c on one but dont force it you will soon find out if its the gas or beer one.

Probably leaving myself open here but....

Gas=Groove=Grey

All the gas posts I've ever seen have a groove round the bit wot the spanner goes on. Beer posts don't.

Cheers

Campbell

lol mine had red and green ones they have blue ones now. Well one had blue and black. Yeah I dont take to much notice just keep them separate so I dont have to look what ones what

Back