Cleaning Jerry's....any Tricks?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pokolbinguy

The Pokolbin Brewhaus and Winery.
Reaction score
G'day folks,

Ok so Im procrastinating from uni work for a little while and have two blue willow jerries that I usually rack into however the last time I used them I used them for primary and they developed a nice krausen mark near the top.

Now it has been a few weeks since they were used and as I was in a real rush (seriously), so I filled them with water to try and keep the junk soft and to stop it from going funky.

Problem is because the hole on the jerries is too small to get a hand in I can't get into scrub the gunk off. I have put in some cleaning powder (basically powdered detergent but one we use in the winery) and water and gave it a good shake in hope that this would dislodge the crap....however this has not worked...

Sooo any suggestions? I was thinking of trying to use a bottle brush if I can find one but I think the angle will be more of a pain in the bum than anything.

I think in the futrue I will just use them for secondary.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Ok so I seem to have solved this issue myself. I found an old bottle brush and just bent the wire handle so I could reach the shit....all seems to have come off now.

:D

Hot water and plenty of nappi-san and fill them right up and let them soak o/night..

Works on my crusty cubes..

Hot water and plenty of nappi-san and fill them right up and let them soak o/night..

Works on my crusty cubes..

Thanks Stu...I will give that a go next time.

I seem to have gotten it off for now.

Cheers, Pok

Hot caustic.

EDIT: use all safety precautions of course.

PBW is your friend!!! :party: :beer:

Cheers
JSB

Bleach soak cleaned mine right up.

+1
You can't go past bleach,cheap as chips as well. Two litres at Aldi is under $2.00.

Batz

+1 Hot Napisan & overnight soak

I two-thirds fill, leave overnight then leave them upside down for another day to get the gunk out of the handle area.

Works a charm

Jez

Nappi San is always my cleaner of choice, the only thing i usually need to get a botle brush onto is my erlenmyer flasks. they just dont seem to budge all of the krausen rings off with just nappisan and a few shakes.

I use mine for secondary and occasionally get a yeast ring. However even if I dont, I one third fill with very concentrated Napisan or the ALDI equivalent unscented, give a good shake, put lid on and store upside down for a couple of days to attack where needed, so I'm not wasting litres of water and spending too much on the goop.

Old Pommy trick as well, back in the early days of pressure barrels they used to come with a similar sized cap to jerries and we would put in a length of metal chain (brass or ss) and some detergent and shake to buggery but keep one end out or retrieval could be tricky :icon_cheers:
Thin chain, of course, in case of tangles.

I have a big bucket of Sodium Carbonate Peroxyhydrate (thanks Fatz), fill em up. drop in a teaspoon and watch the bubbles do their magic. Life is good and the cleaning is easy.....

wack a tea towel etc in with the napisan, when you agitate it helps create some friction etc.

Cheers - Mike

i usually need to get a botle brush onto is my erlenmyer flasks. they just dont seem to budge all of the krausen rings off with just nappisan and a few shakes.

I just use hot napisan on my erlenmyers. I sit the flask in a bucket & fill the flask from another bucket. the overflow cleans the sides & bottom of the flask. leave it sit overnight and you'll have a sparkling clean erlenmyer the next day.

I use the aldi-equivalent napisan which is an awesome cleaner.

Jez

I just hose mine with tank water and rinse with iodophor before use... no probs yet. Takes about 2 seconds to hose out so I haven't had to deal with crusky krausen.

Latest posts

Back