Cleaning Copper Elements

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siborg

Reaction score
Hey

I've got a copper element I want to give a decent clean. I've soaked it in PBW overnight before, but it didn't do a decent job at removing the calcium deoposits.

I remember the guy from Five Star chemicals at ANHC saying that PBW won't do that when someone asked him at the Q&A session after his talk.

Did he recommend a soak in starsan, THEN PBW (or the other way round).

I've done a search and found on a previous thread that 100% starsan works well on stainless, and vinegar on copper. Any suggestions?

Cheers

Hey

I've got a copper element I want to give a decent clean. I've soaked it in PBW overnight before, but it didn't do a decent job at removing the calcium deoposits.

I remember the guy from Five Star chemicals at ANHC saying that PBW won't do that when someone asked him at the Q&A session after his talk.

Did he recommend a soak in starsan, THEN PBW (or the other way round).

I've done a search and found on a previous thread that 100% starsan works well on stainless, and vinegar on copper. Any suggestions?

Cheers

Citric acid?

Citric acid?
as in vinegar?

anyone remember the talk from ANHC? someone specifically asked this same question... I just can't remember the answer. He said it was a two part process.

Step 1: *can't remember*.
Step:2 PBW soak

can't remember if it was that order or not.

as in vinegar?

anyone remember the talk from ANHC? someone specifically asked this same question... I just can't remember the answer. He said it was a two part process.

Step 1: *can't remember*.
Step:2 PBW soak

can't remember if it was that order or not.

vinegar is acetic acid. either will work. weak acids like that clean copper well

vinegar is acetic acid. either will work. weak acids like that clean copper well
hmmmm. Have a litre or two of cheap-o vinegar lying around. Might give that a try, followed by a hit of PBW.

I do remember the word alkaline getting thrown around. Maybe if I could see the DVD of ANHC....

I think the idea was that you need to use an alkaline cleaner (eg. PBW), then an acid-based cleaner (Starsan can be used as this), then alkaline, then acid, etc. as there are layers of built up deposits that you need to get rid of.

If I remember correctly, the idea was to use a base (i.e. alkaline) cleaner first, drain it, but not completely dry it, then add a weak acid. The (small) acid/base reaction rips any gunk left on the metal right off.

Just wish I could remember what he called it, there was faaaaaar too much good, free beer at ANHC for my memory to get into specific terminology.

hmmmm. Have a litre or two of cheap-o vinegar lying around. Might give that a try, followed by a hit of PBW.

I do remember the word alkaline getting thrown around. Maybe if I could see the DVD of ANHC....

If you're tryng to get gunk off it then the usual (napisan soak etc) and rinse should work. Sodium percarb is meant to corrode copper but so does the atmosphere. Just use minimal time soak and don't leave it in for weeks.

However if you're trying to get the oxide/corrosion products off, then a soak in a weak vinegar solution does wonders. Touch of white vinegar and some tap water, soak for 10-30 minutes and keep an eye out for the water turning blue/green. If it does that you've left it in too long.

Alkaline will generally neutralise acid and vice versa (depending on pH levels etc) but a rinse in cold clean water should be enough for most purposes.

Hey

If it is just calcium deposits, this is the stuff you need. A recent BrewStrong Q&A session had exactly this question, and John Palmer said this is the best stuff to use, either straight up, or diluted 1:1 with water.

You should be able to find it at Big Green Shed hardware.

citric acid is really good on copper, you can get it at woolies and coles in the cooking goods section near bi-carb / flour and yeast etc section. I use it all the time on commercial coffee machine boilers and their pipe work.

some brew shops have in bulk

i like to use warm - hot water

dont put the wire end in but......

we clean the electric jugs and urns at work..by putting a couple of lemons in the unit with water and boil and leave to soak overnight,gets rid of the gunk inside the units..

Back