Cleaning Cloth After Boil

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hazz20

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm going to use some calico cloth to boil my crystal in so I don't need to strain or need another pot. What's the best way to clean after use? Not sure about what detergents could possibly affect my brew the next time round.
Thanks,

Hazz

Duck to the shops, grab a cheap pair of stockings, soak overnight in your choice of no-rinse and then cut one leg off, and use that to hold the crystal, works for me...

I just rinse under hot water when I'm done.

Don't boil your crystal malt! It will leach tannins into your wort, which won't taste too nice (from what I hear). Only steep them in hot water and rinse with more hot water, don't boil the grains themselves, just the resulting wort

Duck to the shops, grab a cheap pair of stockings, soak overnight in your choice of no-rinse and then cut one leg off, and use that to hold the crystal, works for me...

I just rinse under hot water when I'm done.

No extraction efficiency issues here with restricting your grain??? After yesterday's steep, I was also thinking about the pain in the arse it is to strain into one vessel, clear out the husks and put the liquid back in. But I question the limitations in extracting all the malt being that water may not be flushing the bits in the centre.

Just thinking, with a pair of gloves on, one could always massage the stocking ball for a while in hot water (much like the preparation of Kava) in the original vessel without having to strain before the boil.

My little gem, holds about a litre and a half, got it from an op shop for 2 bucks.

I use it for steeping grains and making hop tea for late hopping.
Sad day if I ever break it.

Plan B, coffee plunger.

tpot.JPG

No extraction efficiency issues here with restricting your grain??? After yesterday's steep, I was also thinking about the pain in the arse it is to strain into one vessel, clear out the husks and put the liquid back in. But I question the limitations in extracting all the malt being that water may not be flushing the bits in the centre.

Just thinking, with a pair of gloves on, one could always massage the stocking ball for a while in hot water (much like the preparation of Kava) in the original vessel without having to strain before the boil.

I use a 1.5 or maybe 2L water cooler to hold the steep at 67deg, with the stocking stretched over the top and filled with the grains...

I give it a good swirl every 5-10mins, then after 30mins I remove the top, pull out the stocking and tie it off, this then sits in a $2 strainer over my boil pot, I then "sparge" with hot water (55deg) flowing over the tied stocking to fill to my desired boil full volume of 10L, once it gets close I lift the stocking and squeeze out all I get, years in hospitality have rendered my hands pretty much numb to heat.

As for efficiency issues, I keep forgetting to actually measure my BG so I can't comment, but I am hitting my batch SGs as per Beersmith

Latest posts

Back