Cleaning Bottles ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morebeer4me

Reaction score
Just bottles my second brew, smelt really good. Wanted to drink straight from the tub, put down a cascade amber ale. Any way I washed the bottles with soap from kit and rinsed and hung on the bottle tree. Then I squirted sanatise (no rinse) and then hung back on the tree then went straight to bottling.Should I have not put the bottles back on the tree after they were sanitized ? maybe a bit paranoid or it could just be the James squire amber ale I HAVE to keep drinking cause I need the bottles :chug:

Should be fine.

I've found with my bottles that if I rinse and shake them with hot water as soon as I empty the beer out of them, they don't need any more cleaning with detergents and you can go straight to using your no rinse sanitzer on them immediately prior to bottling again.

Should be fine.

I've found with my bottles that if I rinse and shake them with hot water as soon as I empty the beer out of them, they don't need any more cleaning with detergents and you can go straight to using your no rinse sanitzer on them immediately prior to bottling again.

+1

Yeah just give the tree a mist of sanitized if you like, that way you can't go wrong, also as mentioned, give them a rinse after serving and store them somewhere clean

Thanks for the responses, spraying tree with an atomizer sounds like a great idea

when they are dry, take em off and whack some gladwrap over the top of the bottles, then they can sit in a crate until needed without any dust issues.

1.JPG

I picked up a little trick from a home brew book that works a treat as long as your bottles are label free. Once your bottles are clean and dry pop a piece of Al-foil over the top and crimp down. Then just pop them in the oven for a hour at 130 degrees. The prolonged heat sterilizes your bottles and then they are left sealed with the foil until you need them.

Currenty brewing
Primary: raspberry vanilla cider
Secondary: little creatures pale ale copy

I jumped the gun a little and bottled before my 'Copper Tun No-Rinse'-sterilized bottles were 100% air-dried.

I shook the remnants of sterile water from them, but there would still have been some tiny drops in there when I filled them with beer. Will it ruin my first ever brew? :(

I jumped the gun a little and bottled before my 'Copper Tun No-Rinse'-sterilized bottles were 100% air-dried.

I shook the remnants of sterile water from them, but there would still have been some tiny drops in there when I filled them with beer. Will it ruin my first ever brew? :(

I never wait for my bottles to dry and was surprised people do wait for them to be dry. As the steriliser will be so diluted, probably 1 or 2 ml per 750ml of beer or 375ml for stubbies this is not enough concentration to do any damage.

I never wait for my bottles to dry and was surprised people do wait for them to be dry. As the steriliser will be so diluted, probably 1 or 2 ml per 750ml of beer or 375ml for stubbies this is not enough concentration to do any damage.

Thanks buddy. Appreciate the reassurance.

+1

I have a squirty bottle washer thing. I put Starsan/Iodophor in it, then take my clean bottles, squirt sanitizer in, and hang on my bottle tree. As soon as they're all done, I start filling and capping them. I don't wait for them to dry.

Possibly, I've gone strange from iodine poisoning, or maybe I was just strange all along. :)

T.
Incidentally, when the dairy industry in Australia moved from using Iodophor to what ever they use now, the incidence of iodine deficiency rose markedly. Moreover, if your local nuclear reactor should leak, the iodine will be protective. :)

Back