Cleaning Blichmann Therminators

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

jkmeldrum

Reaction score
Merry Christmas all!!

I have a Blichmann Therminator that has started to become slightly clogged up with hops/sediment. I have tried flushing it out both ways with the garden hose on high, but there are still little bits coming out when I do.

I've read of people using a caustic cleaner to completely clean the inside but I'm not sure what they use. Does anyone know of anything I can use to soak it and hopefully clean it, because I think it may be the source of a couple of bad brews recently.

Cheers

Molly

booargy

Reaction score
Caustic soda pumped through @80c will clean it good (a container in 50L). I have drains on all vessels so I don't handle it once mixed. it will eat you if you are not careful.

jkmeldrum

Reaction score
Caustic soda pumped through @80c will clean it good (a container in 50L). I have drains on all vessels so I don't handle it once mixed. it will eat you if you are not careful.
Cool, thanks.....I should be able to get that from the supermarket right?

Also, I'm guessing that I shouldn't run that through my pump!!!!

Just gravity feed it through the Therminator? Also, will it wreck my silicone hose?

Thanks

Molly

booargy

Reaction score
yeah in the supermarket.
Pump would be better to flush the crap out. I run it through my march pumps and silicone hoses.
Don't get it on you it will burn.

jkmeldrum

Reaction score
yeah in the supermarket.
Pump would be better to flush the crap out. I run it through my march pumps and silicone hoses.
Don't get it on you it will burn.
Excellent ... thanks for that. I'll give it a try

Screwtop

Inspectors Pocket Brewery
Reaction score
Used to CIP (recirc) to clean brewery lines and plate chiller. These days I find Sod Perc breaks down most organic material well. Pour it into the wort side, fill and leave overnight, flush out then add a 40C solution of water and PBW. Use caustic occasionally, PBW is safer/easier. Fill and leave for a few hours, then flush both directions.

Screwy

Latest posts