Cleaning beer filter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joel0395

Reaction score
Hi, on ebay where I bought my filter kit from it suggested that I should use napi san to clean it, just wondering how I rinse this good enough to be safe? Or should I go for something else like clr that is food safe? Cheers

I always soak mine in PBW Joel, when I rinse i back flush with hot water until there is no taste or odour left in the water coming through the filter. Napisan should be fine.

I find the other crap in nappysan hard to rinse, be it filter, keg or fermenter. 'Uncut' sodium perc or PBW is much easier to rinse.

Ditto on the backflush,

I didn't soak mine but back flushed for quite a while and there is still a smell to it. Do u guys have a lot of trouble cleaning the filter. Sorry to hijack

No probs in clearing the filter, always back flush first and when I soak in PBW i do it for 24 hours. This gets the beer colour out of the filter.

After I filter beer, I rinse my filtering keg out, fill it 1/4 way up with water and 1 tablespoon of aldi non scented di-San. I shake mix, pressurise with some gas, then back flush filter with this .this forces yeast crap out of membrane. As I am now soaking my fermenters with 1 tablespoon of di-San I then remove the flushed filter cartridge and drop into fermenter/di-San mix. I leave for a day to soak . Then rinse cartridge under a running tap for 1 minute. I then soak it in a small bucket of plain warm water for another day or 2. Then pull it out and dry it on my work bench over few days.

I then just leave it to use next time.

I have put over 50 kegs through it still going really well.

my actual routine is..... usually....

after filtering beer it's usually late so filter and most anything else gets thrown in a bucket of starsan.

when i get around to it over the next week, I soak filter in PBW for a day or two, hook up tap water to filter and backflush for 5-10 mins, then forward flush for 5-10 minutes then let it dry.

on next filter day, I throw filter into bucket of starsan then hook it up and away I go.

I take mine out, rinse it thoroughly with hot water. And then soak in sodium percarbonate and hot water (with fermenter). Rinse again thoroughly with hot water.

i soak mine in napisan for a couple of days, rinse well in hot water then fill housing with starsan and pump up and down a couple of times to get rid of any residual napisan then air dry. night before kegging fill housing with starsan and set filter up, after 5 minutes invert to drain overnight, then flush with co2 before using.

last pils didn't filter clear so reckon it's stuffed, how many kegs on average do they last? as i don't filter all beers i'm not sure how many it has done, will track use with next one.

seamad said:
i soak mine in napisan for a couple of days, rinse well in hot water then fill housing with starsan and pump up and down a couple of times to get rid of any residual napisan then air dry. night before kegging fill housing with starsan and set filter up, after 5 minutes invert to drain overnight, then flush with co2 before using.

last pils didn't filter clear so reckon it's stuffed, how many kegs on average do they last? as i don't filter all beers i'm not sure how many it has done, will track use with next one.
I have stuffed two filters. I reckon its because I left them in Napisan for too long, i.e. a couple of days to 4 or 5. The pleats became disformed and saggy and didnt dry back into shape. I now have a KK filter, which has a plastic 'frame' and I try not to leave it in solution for more than a few hours. This one seems to be going well.

I think I'm just gonna next go, backflash, soak and then throw it in the freezer till next use

yep, pretty much my method. Backflush with tap water after use and then run some starsan through filter and whack it in the beer fridge until next use.

Preparing for use: run some hot water through filter, then star san, and purge with CO2 before starting filtering.

I used to get hazy beer if I left any starsan solution on the filter... so now I rinse it with hot tap water before filtering, then flush with CO2.

Latest posts

Back