Cleaning A Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big G

Reaction score
First time post!

I have done a couple of extract brews since coming back to brewing. Heading down the path to all grain at some stage. I have been given a couple of 20l Heiniken kegs and am starting to set up a system, but can not seem to work out how to pull the top off for cleaning. Any hints??

Thanks
keg.jpg

I use an angle grinder, this allows me to get my arm in and give it a good scrub! Do they take a standard sized coupler (used on a 50L commercial)? I have noticed couplers on eBay - if your going to fill it with beer you'll need one anyway :)

better of using those as a keg than a kettle but do search for couplers and u may find a way of removing the spear or look at the wiki articles

This is how I do it with an Asahi keg!!

it's was a bitch of a job working out how to get the spear out.

you need an 'S' Type coupler (purchaseable off Ebay or from someone here) and a $2 coin. if you already got the spear as loose as it will allow (it should be able to freely move up and down at least 5mm) place the coin in the centre of the spear well, then engage the coupler on top of it.

push down the coupler handle (which progressively disengages some wing tabs on the spear that are stopping the spear from coming out) then pull the whole bugger out.

initially, i started unscrewing the spear with hammer and bolt, tapping at the two tabs inside the well - but these quickly got worn. do yourself a favour and buy an opening tool - i got one from these guys: http://www.kegking.com.au they still had a few obsolete models on the shelve for $35. but once they were gone, they were only selling the new model which'll set ya back over 100. this was a couple of months ago.

just to be clear - the opener tool only unscrews the spear. you still need to do the $2 trick with the coupler to get it out.

Bingo !! Sounds like what I have. Will get a coupler and try this out.

Thank you very much.

i found a 5cent coin does the same trick,going to get a piece of steel cut same size and harden it..or cut the retaining device out

Latest posts

Back