Clay Pavers To Stabilise Temp

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fergi

Reaction score
hi guys, this may be right out of left field, i have set up my fermenting fridge/freezer, i am using the mashmate digital temp controller, now at the moment i am only breeding up my yeast starter from a coopers pale, its a 1 litre starter and is going nicely after 3 days, one thing i have noticed is although i have temp controller set to 18 deg the jar with stick on temp indicator varies from 16 deg to 18 deg, now this is not much but i am wondering if i put some clay pavers on the rack of the fridge which has the jar sitting on, and later the fermentor, will they hold a more stable temp than the air inside the fridge ,and while the fermentor sits on these pavers transmitting the cool temp to the bottom of my wort give it a more stable temp, think about it the pavers would not lose temp or increase temp as quick as the air inside the fridge due to the on/off cycle of the temp controller. just a thought here, seems like a reasonable assumption
cheers
fergi

Sounds like it's worth a try.
The same theory works in Pizza ovens to ensure a hot crusty base.

hi guys, this may be right out of left field, i have set up my fermenting fridge/freezer, i am using the mashmate digital temp controller, now at the moment i am only breeding up my yeast starter from a coopers pale, its a 1 litre starter and is going nicely after 3 days, one thing i have noticed is although i have temp controller set to 18 deg the jar with stick on temp indicator varies from 16 deg to 18 deg, now this is not much but i am wondering if i put some clay pavers on the rack of the fridge which has the jar sitting on, and later the fermentor, will they hold a more stable temp than the air inside the fridge ,and while the fermentor sits on these pavers transmitting the cool temp to the bottom of my wort give it a more stable temp, think about it the pavers would not lose temp or increase temp as quick as the air inside the fridge due to the on/off cycle of the temp controller. just a thought here, seems like a reasonable assumption
cheers
fergi

I lined 3 inside walls and holding shelf of my ferment. fridge with flat s.s. sheet, $10 from metal yard, $10 to have it cut to size. Works very well on same principal you`re talking about.

stagga.

Don't trust those stick on thermometers for an accurate measurement. If you want to know the temperature of your starter, you are going to need a thermometer in there. Being a starter, this does become a challenge. If you have another starter container, pop the same volume of water in it and your thermometer. Easier than trying to stick your thermometer in teh wort.

The clay pavers may provide a bit more thermal inertia to your starter, but the thermal coupling may be poor between the glass and pavers.

Stagga,wouldn't the the ss plates would be providing a bit more insulation in your fridge rather than thermal inertia?

Don't trust those stick on thermometers for an accurate measurement. If you want to know the temperature of your starter, you are going to need a thermometer in there. Being a starter, this does become a challenge. If you have another starter container, pop the same volume of water in it and your thermometer. Easier than trying to stick your thermometer in teh wort.
You could try sitting the starter in a water bath, if you don't use a stir plate, temp in the bath should be pretty close to the temp in the flask. Would be easy to check temperature and adjust if required, (ice / hot water). With the right water bath you probably could still use a stir plate.

Steel..bug lumps of steel are the answer

We used to put peices of Railway track in the fire around the camp oven to hold the temp...

Same works in an open fire, we have a fire grate made of 50mm reo, and stays hot for days

Same principle works for cooling

Pavers should work fine but they will be difficult to keep clean (sanitary). Dont use the water bath as you will grow-up plenty of spoilage bugs in the water.

Best bet is to close the fridge and leave it for three days until ferment is finished.

cheers

Darren

Latest posts

Back