Citra

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UsernameTaken

Reaction score
I've drank a few different commercial beers tonight that are either heavy on the Citra or only Citra and they are all syrupy and banana flavoured and lacking any bright, sharp, citrusy bitterness!

Is this to be expected?

Cheers,
UNT

Not expected at all in my experience. If you got them all from the same shop, maybe ask how they store said beer. Heat and prolonged sunlight will do nothing good to those sweet, tasty Citra flavours.

.. I haven't been able to achieve this as yet, but try not to sound like a total wanker when asking the staff how they store the beer from distributor to store. It's a real challenge in itself.

Two different stores. Knee Deep Brewing Co "Citra Extra Pale Ale" from one and Mountain Goat "Attack of the Killer Hops" from another.

Could hardly tell them apart for the sweet, syrupy, banana flavour!

Could just be you then.. maybe do an all-Citra small batch, see if you get the same notes?

I guess it could be?

Can you suggest a Citra heavy brew for me to look at that should not be syrupy and banana flavoured?

okay gotta try this! :)
Haven't added hops at first wort before. Whats the go with that?

I had the Attack of the Killer Hops at GABS, thought was a great beer, certainly no banana. I think some of these stronger IPA/DIPA brews can be a little bit syrupy as there's a fair bit of sweetness in there to offset the massive hops, personally I quite like a bit of sweetness in a DIPA as it gives them a bit of balance.

FG at 1.024???? anyone here actually brewed that recipe?

Yeah I put a batch down a while back. It was incredible

2cranky said:
okay gotta try this! :)
Haven't added hops at first wort before. Whats the go with that?
It's typically done in place of the 60min bittering addition. Rumoured to improve hop flavour and smooth out the bitterness. You simply chuck it in during the ramp up to boil, rather than into the boil itself.
I wouldn't hesitate in just adjusting the recipe for a 60min addition instead

mtb said:
It's typically done in place of the 60min bittering addition. Rumoured to improve hop flavour and smooth out the bitterness. You simply chuck it in during the ramp up to boil, rather than into the boil itself.
I wouldn't hesitate in just adjusting the recipe for a 60min addition instead
ill give it a go.

i'm surprised the ABV is so high considering

0 pkgs

English Ale (White Labs #WLP002)

Yeast

:D

2cranky said:
i'm surprised the ABV is so high considering
0 pkgs English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) Yeast

:D
6,888,474.33 teaspoons each of Irish Moss and Yeast nutrient.

That would have taken some measuring out.

Make sure not to forget the .33 of a teaspoon either.

Made an American Wheat last summer, with all Citra added late in the boil.

I'd never used Citra on its own before and was hoping for a refreshing, citrusy, easy drinker.

I didn't really get any citrus from it at all, it was more earthy and spicy, I even thought maybe it had been packaged/labelled incorrectly at some point in the supply chain.

I'll try it again next summer and maybe source my hops from a different supplier.

Black Devil Dog said:
Made an American Wheat last summer, with all Citra added late in the boil.

I'd never used Citra on its own before and was hoping for a refreshing, citrusy, easy drinker.

I didn't really get any citrus from it at all, it was more earthy and spicy, I even thought maybe it had been packaged/labelled incorrectly at some point in the supply chain.

I'll try it again next summer and maybe source my hops from a different supplier.
citra is not earthy or spicy at all. It's a big tropical fruit hop.

Syrupy and banana flavoured tropical fruit at that when used too much!

Black Devil Dog said:
6,888,474.33 teaspoons each of Irish Moss and Yeast nutrient.

That would have taken some measuring out.

Make sure not to forget the .33 of a teaspoon either.

Seen this myself in BeerSmith, obviously a bug somewhere in the conversion logic

Yep, Citra is a confusing name. Tropical fruit with a bit of citrus according to most sources.

Latest posts

Back