Cigs War Won: Now Cancer Campaigners Set Their Sights On Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liam_snorkel

كافر
Reaction score
HEALTH activists who believe even one alcoholic drink can cause cancer will lobby MPs in Canberra today for limits on how much we consume and how much we pay for it.

Successfully branding alcohol a carcinogen could lead to tough restrictions similar to those applied to tobacco, including warnings on labels and laws requiring plain packaging.

how far do you reckon they will get with this? I think this is the same mob who is advocating for a unit price on alcohol.

good thing I've never bothered to make labels for my brews.

http://www.news.com.au/national/cigs-war-w...9-1226088686962

Good on em, theyre attacking marketing and advertisement, and I for one am sick of stupid tooheys and VB ads.

Soon we'll all need to sign waivers before we get into someone else's bloody car, cause it can kill you, you know.

Go on Bribie, troll em'

All my brew is already in plain packages.
You guys that bottle will need to start steaming the labels off...

Smoked and pickled foods have been linked to an increased risk of stomach cancer. Better regulate those items.

Healthfood has been anecdotally linked to an increased risk of highandmightyism, I would like to see a report commissioned.

The Australian flag has also been linked to an increased risk of drunken boganism, I for one, would like to see this taxed.

I suspect more than just a few Aussie politicians are hardy tipplers ... possibly more-so than smokers (I have no fact or statistics to back that up) so I get the feeling that whilst that is the case alcoholic beverages will not come under as much pressure for restrictions. There is also just as much scientific evidence pointing to helth benefits of drinking in moderation ... cigarettes don't have anything like that going for them.

Told the fucken Cancer Council:

I would regularly donate to you people. For example last week I signed up with the Foxtel ratings program and as you will be aware they made a donation either to a childrens charity or to yourselves. I specified the Cancer Council. In view of your ridiculous campaign against drinking and your clear association with the Nanny State which is intent on ruling every minute facet of our lives, I will no longer be supporting you.
Goodbye

Also contributed to the newspaper, let's see if I get published. :icon_cheers:

I got a bottle out of the fridge a while ago, realised my opener was in an inconvenient spot... just out of arms reach. I decided to use a butter knife instead of walking all the way into the next room.

Short story shorter, I slipped and sliced a bit off my index finger knuckle. As I have now been touched by the carnage I will wage a war against alcohol, butter knives and will campain for bottle openers to be surgically attached to me. Just imagine if a child tried to do the same, people!

Deed done: comment 387

Boy are there some angry people out there!

Deed done: comment 387

Boy are there some angry people out there!

Bribie of Bribie Island QLD Posted at 12:48 PM Today
Do gooders and interfering old nannies like the Cancer Council are well known to cause stress, a leading cause of Cancer. I used to donate to the Cancer Council. No longer - and in fact my will, if ever I succumbed, was going to be "no flowers, donations instead to the CC". You know what? I'm going to change that to "no flowers, go out and buy a carton of P%$$ instead".

Comment 387 of 426

Love your work :icon_chickcheers:

I know this might be crazy, but I smell a rat here.

The cigarette war is not won as far as I can tell, this appears to me to be the Cigarette industry trying to get everyone agitated to make people think that if cigarettes are made to be in plain packaging then look at all the rest which will happen.

I might be wrong but it all smells fishy to me - and is more likely the cig industry at work as they have a lot to lose on this, if plain packaging happens in Australia then it will be adopted in other countries which is where they will lose money.

I personally dont really care if cigarettes are in plain packaging or not, I wont buy any. And feel that the price of beer here is already crazy, the thought of paying more just makes me happier I am home brewing.

If they make alcohol any dearer here the younguns will be drinking metho with mixer and making coopers lager with 4kgs of dex !

When will they learn, the "alcopops tax" geez that did alot, people just bought a 700ml bottle of 40% liquor instead.

I for one will lead riots in the streets if need be, this is Austraylya, we like to sink piss !!!

I know this might be crazy, but I smell a rat here.

The cigarette war is not won as far as I can tell, this appears to me to be the Cigarette industry trying to get everyone agitated to make people think that if cigarettes are made to be in plain packaging then look at all the rest which will happen.

I might be wrong but it all smells fishy to me - and is more likely the cig industry at work as they have a lot to lose on this, if plain packaging happens in Australia then it will be adopted in other countries which is where they will lose money.

I personally dont really care if cigarettes are in plain packaging or not, I wont buy any. And feel that the price of beer here is already crazy, the thought of paying more just makes me happier I am home brewing.

I thought that too, did a bit of digging around and couldn't find a rat...
Initial priorities for the NAAA will be:
reforming alcohol taxation
buying-out by government of alcohol sponsorship in sports and the arts
increasing investment in prevention
strengthening the regulating of alcohol advertising
introducing health information labelling on alcohol products and including point-of-sale promotions
tightening controls on the sale and supply of alcohol.

As of 12 March 2010, the National Alliance for Action on Alcohol consists of 26 organisations from across Australia:
Alcohol and Other Drugs Council of Australia (ADCA), Alcohol Education and Rehabilitation Foundation (AERF), Alcohol Policy Coalition (Vic), Australian Drug Foundation (ADF), Australasian Faculty of Public Health Medicine (AFPHM), Australian Health Promotion Association (AHPA), Australian National Council on Drugs (ANCD), Australian Research Alliance for Children and Youth (ARACY), Cancer Council Australia, Cancer Council Victoria, Diabetes Australia, Kidney Health Australia, National Drug Research Institute (NDRI, Curtin University), National Heart Foundation, National Indigenous Drug and Alcohol Committee (NIDAC), Public Health Advocacy Institute (WA), Public Health Association of Australia, Royal Australasian College of Physicians, Telethon Institute for Child Health Research, Turning Point Alcohol & Drug Centre, VicHealth and university groups.

Somehow I don't think those organizations would be involved in a campaign bankrolled by Philip Morris & BAT. The risk of losing their credibility would be too great.

HEALTH activists who believe even one alcoholic drink can cause cancer will lobby MPs in Canberra today for limits on how much we consume and how much we pay for it.
So does this mean alcohol prices will finally relax in Australia? ^_^

I think the australian government is doing some very silly things with this. Continual tax increases on cigarettes will eventually make the price so high that there will be a viable black market, coupled with the fact that they are going to introduce plain packaging, counterfeit cigarette makers and organised crime are going to be waiting in the wings to flood the market with cheap, tax free cigarettes. And without any markings to indicate brand, who will be the wiser? Organised crime will be laughing all hte way to the bank (or wherever they bury their money).

Alcohol and cigarettes are very different beasts. Hardly any people will just enjoy the odd cigarette on the weekend, whereas most people will do that with alcohol.

I heard the internet can be dangerous too.

Move away from your keyboards people.

There already is a black market for tobacco, it's called 'chop chop'. You can buy tobacco by the kilo from dodgy tobaconists and roll your own. I used to work with a guy about 10 years ago who smoked it, I was a smoker back then & I thought it was bloody harsh... Could have just been that variety I guess.

Latest posts

Back