Cider Toucan

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pickledkiwi2

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I am about to put down a cider for the minister of finance and war, and was thinking, since I have done a few Toucan beers rather successfully in the past, maybe I could do a cider Toucan.

Has anyone had a go at this before and if so was it drinkable? <_<

Look forward to any coments

Cheers
BDA

If it contains artificial sweeteners it would be disgusting. If said sweeteners come in sachets you could leave one (or both out) to avoid this.

Alternatively, you could buy 20L of apple juice (preservative free) and make cider from scratch with no more effort than opening a few cans of goo.

If it contains artificial sweeteners it would be disgusting. If said sweeteners come in sachets you could leave one (or both out) to avoid this.

Alternatively, you could buy 20L of apple juice (preservative free) and make cider from scratch with no more effort than opening a few cans of goo.

Hey Doc,
Thanks for that, I made a cider a while back using 18 litres juce (preservitive free) and a tin of Brigilow concentrate and I got to say it was not real flash, it didnt have any real flavour to it. It tasted very light (thin, lacking flavour)with bugger finish.
I would like to get something with a bit of a dry finish if i can. I am open to any recipe ideas.
Thanks

BDA

I've got a cider on tap at the moment thats been in the fridge for a while which is popular with the girls and guys alike. It's got a bit of a punch to it, but you could leave out some of the fermentables.

1 blackrock cider kit
1 brigalow cider kit
1kg dex
6L preservative free apple juice
18 punnets of pureed strawberries.

This bad boy weighed in at 1052 and fermented down to 0.998 using a sachet of nottingham and some yeast nutrient.

Moral of the story: Toucan cider can definately work ;)

I've got a cider on tap at the moment thats been in the fridge for a while which is popular with the girls and guys alike. It's got a bit of a punch to it, but you could leave out some of the fermentables.

1 blackrock cider kit
1 brigalow cider kit
1kg dex
6L preservative free apple juice
18 punnets of pureed strawberries.

This bad boy weighed in at 1052 and fermented down to 0.998 using a sachet of nottingham and some yeast nutrient.

Moral of the story: Toucan cider can definately work ;)

Hey dave,
That looks like one hell of a blend.
I think I will give your recipe a bash just the way it is.

Did you add water to make it up to 18 litres or is a short brew with only what you have above?

Cheers
BDA

Yah gotta love experimenting :p

Has anyone tried doing an apple cider without the yeast nutrient to keep some sweetness in the cider and just using an ale yeast?

and all up, a very expensive brew... 2 kits, apple juice, 18 punnets of strawbs... feck

pickledkiwi: Nah, I made it up to 27 litres, but lost a fairbit in the transfering process due to stawberry pulp. From what I have here, says I bottled three litres after filling a keg. so got about 22 litres of finished cider. That would be a bloody potent brew if it were much more concentrated, mine weighed in at 7.32% so you might even want to leave out some dex or something, depending on how you like it

Interloper: A bloody long time, but I am a uni student, so....

Theres a nice touch of strawberry flavour, but I only did it as they were on special for 99 cents a punnet or something, dunno if it'd normally be worth it.

Cheers

Dave

Edit: Sponge, from what I worked out it was a bit expensive compared to normal brews, but a shade less than $1.50 a pint of finished product ;)

pickledkiwi: Nah, I made it up to 27 litres, but lost a fairbit in the transfering process due to stawberry pulp.

So did the pulp settle to the bottom? Just wondering how you got this from your fermenter to your kegs/bottles?

I'm very interested in doing this brew, maybe reducing the strawberries and swapping in some frozenb raspberries, but what's teh deal with the pulp?

I'd be bottling it, so any advice on technique most welcome - Racking perhaps?

I don't have any filters or anything, so how do you avoid having cider fruit stew? ;)

Did a twocan with Blackrock Cider, cooper canadian blonde and some juice. Came out as a very appley beer, about 9%. IIRC I used both yeasts. Improved with age (or perhaps I got used to it)

So did the pulp settle to the bottom? Just wondering how you got this from your fermenter to your kegs/bottles?

I'm very interested in doing this brew, maybe reducing the strawberries and swapping in some frozenb raspberries, but what's teh deal with the pulp?

I'd be bottling it, so any advice on technique most welcome - Racking perhaps?

I don't have any filters or anything, so how do you avoid having cider fruit stew? ;)

Yeah, you definately need to rack this bad boy, they yeast helps to settle out the pulp once it flocculates, so nottingham is good for this. I gave it eight days in primary, followed by a long (17 days) cool (round about 14 C) secondary. You might want to give bulk priming a go to transfer it off the any excess pulp that might settle out in secondary. The keg is still pretty hazy, but I don't mind that ;)

Yeah, you definately need to rack this bad boy, they yeast helps to settle out the pulp once it flocculates, so nottingham is good for this. I gave it eight days in primary, followed by a long (17 days) cool (round about 14 C) secondary. You might want to give bulk priming a go to transfer it off the any excess pulp that might settle out in secondary. The keg is still pretty hazy, but I don't mind that ;)

Cool, That would have been my process anyway:

Brew (10-14 days)
Rack (7-10 days)
Rack to bottling bucket for bulk priming

I have lots of plastic in my shed, so no shortage of racking cubes and bottling buckets!

PS: Hmmm what about some finings/gelatine at the 10 day mark in primary? Reckon that would strip some gunk out or is pulp too heavy compared to yeast?

Dunno about the finings but it's not like they're particularly expensive, so it can't hurt, should help at least a little

Back