Cider Carbonated In Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lag2501

Reaction score
Hi,

First post, first brew. This is a great forum.

I got a cider kit when I purchased some second hand gear, after cleaning everything up and sterilising I mixed it. It was blubbering strong for a week and a half and has now stoped. I've had it going to the two weeks suggested on the can. When I went to make a gravity reading I noticed it is actually lightly carbonated.

1. Is this normal?
  2. Has it got an infection of some type?
  3. If it is still good when I go to bottle should I reduce the requested priming sugar?
I did a little search but couldn't find anything on this, thank you for any information you can provide for a new brewer.

if its a brigalow can. mine did the same thing, i bottled mine as per the instructions, didn't reduce the priming sugar at all. and it turned out fine.

congrats on the new hobby BTW

I just did a juice cider and noticed that it held carbonation more than beer from the fermenter when reading gravity as well. I am completely unsure why, and even if this obeys the laws of physics.

Any brew will hold a smalllevel of carbonation during the latter part of ferment. It's just co2 coming out of solution - same principle as when you bottle but when you bottle, you seal it in.

Cider attenuates better than beer generally.

Maybe it is because I am used to any mild carb forming a head rather than the spritz thing of bursting bubbles.

Thank you for the quick responses.
Seems that it's normal, gravity reading stable, so looks like I know what I'll be doing tomorrow night.

Latest posts

Back