Cider Advice Requested

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably OT but after a few mediocre batches of cider that took at least 12 weeks to be not disgusting I discovered oztops.
If you google them and look them up you'll find all you need is 3L of juice and what they provide and if you feel adventurous you can add whatever you want. Even though it is only 3L, the beauty is that it is pretty decent in around a week or more and when you find a decent combo you could upsize it to a fermenter sized batch.

I could find a link and stuff but IMO the fun is in discovery and experimenting.

Cheers, beers (and ciders)..
BS

Probably OT but after a few mediocre batches of cider that took at least 12 weeks to be not disgusting I discovered oztops.

nifty. I guess it takes the uncertainty out of it all and ends up being drinkable quickly...?
thanks for the info.

Ok, just an update on my cider for those interested and who have offered advice.

My cider is quite drinkable even after 1.5 weeks in the bottle.
My friends liked it (enough to want me to leave them with a couple of bottles) and even my wife thought it was pretty good. She does not drink much and so for me she is the final arbiter... She even said that she could drink it with dinner instead of wine because it was quite light, not very sweet and not 'beery'. Of course, it is about 6% alcohol so she was probably a bit tipsy when she said that! :D

Some comments:
- The cider is a little dry but not too dry. Also, not very sweet. It is quite drinkable.
- It is very clear with some nice bubbling in the glass, although not like a champagne
- it is not 'beery' at all. is that the Wyeast 4766 at work?
- no real cinnamon flavour at all, not even in aftertaste. So 1 x cinnamon stick is not enough for 18L.
- I think I can taste a hint of lemon but that may be because I know it is there. No one else seemed to taste it. So, 1 x lemon is not enough for 18L. Maybe the lemon did do something but it was only a subtle effect. who knows.

I was surpised by the flavour. I was expecting something like a strongbow (which i am not a fan of) and got something that I think is better, which at the end of the day is the important thing... :beer:

now to let it age a bit more.

thanks again for all the advice.

Back