Chubby Cherub recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bizenya

Reaction score
Hi all

Set to bottle my oatmeal stout today and to keep things rocking will put in a chubby cherub. I have all the ingredients, however I am a little lost with regards to the Nelson hops- website says 2x25 g but only one is listed in the methods- I've used IanH spreadsheet and it seems that only 25g is needed as 50g makes it very hoppy. Cascade is used as a late hop and the chinook as dry.

Did anyone get this kit pack when it was Flavour of the month? Or has anyone done this one recently from the website?

http://coopers.com.au/#/diy-beer/beer-recipes/ale/detail/chubby-cherub/

25g Chinook @ 30

25g Nelson Sauvin @ 20

25g Cascade @ 10

25g Chinook dry hop

Was what I did.

Cheers

Thats what I thought - some some reasons they have 50g listed- typo

Did it come out nice? Im looking forward to brewing it

Today got the better of me (catch up with mates tasting a few IPAs (commercial) Fun. Little 'tipsy' now. Love the 7-8 % IPAs!

Tomorrow job cheers for the feedback!

I did much the same with the hops as Indica, and it turned out to be a great beer. They market it as being somewhere between a LC Pale Ale and a MB Fat Yak - I think they're pretty spot on. I made it just before Xmas last year and let me tell you, it ages very well!

It's a great recipe and I for one will be making it again. Enjoy Bizenya, this one is a beauty from the start.

Cheers menoetes and Indica

I'm just sitting down now getting all the ingredients lined up- should be a good en and a great base to expand on in the future!

And fermenting

Loved the smell of the hops during boil- original gravity taster was a bit intense- so so sweet, and so so hoppy!!

Let's see how this one goes.....

Hey all

I have had a troll with google and searched the forums, but just a quick clarification question

Looks like my brew should be finished around Wednesday- 10 days fermenting- nice.

However, I need to go bush for seven nights- I have cold crashed the last two beers brewed for three days and it worked well- very nice and clean looking and flavours on bottling compared to the last gravity check where much 'rounder/smoother' (samples were refrigerated to keep temps consistent)- however after eight days will enough yeast be in suspension to carb the bottles?

My scientific mind says yes- even after cold crash the cooled 'beer' will have very low levels of yeast; however once sugar is added, and is warmed to room temp, they will kick into action and carb it up- from other post it may take ~4wks rather than 2. No biggy.

Right tree??

Here's me seconding the wiser opinions of Indica again. Cold crash away. From what I've read and been told, it's hard to get the yeast out of beer without filtration. I've just finished a lager that was kept at cold crash temps (otherwise known as lagering) for nearly 4 weeks and those bottles are feeling taut and pressurized already. A few extra days of cold crashing isn't going to do anything but clear your beer even further. Go for it Sir.

Cheers guys!!

I was a little concerned, and apart from attempting to teach the missus how to gravity check, then set the temp controller, then bottle, I thought I am just gunna have to crash it!

Funny being born and bred on sparkling ale I just can't seem to shake the murk in a beer- however almost all IPA/APA/AIPA I've had recently are crystal clear. Just me and my yeasty up bringing

Cold crash and bottle then late next week. She's a hoppy beast at the moment- they kick you in the head

I've got all the ingredients ready for this recipe since you told me bout it a few weeks ago, I was a bit lost on the hop schedule written on the coopers site aswell and glad you've now brought it up.

Let us know your OG and FG when done?

Cheers.

OG started at 1051 (exactly as per IanH Spreadsheet!!) and as of today it was at 1013- excell predicting somewhere around 1011-1010- no BRY97 yeast in the spreadsheet. Just watch or at least be aware of the yeast- mine took AGES to get started- was about 48-52 hrs before airlock action. After that though has stormed along.

Was rehydrated as well

Taste odd at the moment but I'm thinking it more the mass of hops coming through when checking the gravity

Back