Chronic Over-carbonation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should also consider the type of bottle your putting the beer in. I wouldn't go high end carbonation in a CUB bottle.

also after doing the calculation on the website even with CO2 volume at 3.6, it still says to add 242 g. Little too much?

also after doing the calculation on the website even with CO2 volume at 3.6, it still says to add 242 g. Little too much?

Sounds like rather a lot.

BTW, having had 3 bottles explode on me recently (due to infection), I have been looking up how much pressure Champagne bottles can withstand. I dredged up the following on Wikipedia (so it must be true)

"To reach the standard value of 6 bars (600 kPa) inside the bottle, it is necessary to have 18 grams of sugar...."

Assuming we're talking 750ml bottles, 18g is a *lot* relative to beer. I guess I need not worry so much if I bottle in Champagne bottles then. I usually use closer to 5-6g per 750ml.

T.

Edit: a bit of hunting shows new Champagne bottles are rated to round 5-7 volumes.

thanks that's websites great. Reason i was asking bout adding the sugar liquid is that wouldn't that dilute the beer itself and affect taste?

You're using so little and the primer bumps up the alc a little anyway. I doubt you'll notice it and apart from the sanitation issues above, you need to dissolve it in liquid first to make sure it dissolves properly and evenly into the greater volume of the beer.

3.6 is pretty high end carbonation. I usually stick around 2.2 - 2.4 depending on style. I don't like heaps of fizz admittedly but even my recent weizen was only done to 2.9. I think 3.6 is overkill.

Sounds like rather a lot.

BTW, having had 3 bottles explode on me recently (due to infection), I have been looking up how much pressure Champagne bottles can withstand. I dredged up the following on Wikipedia (so it must be true)

I use Grolsh bottles and they seem to be nice and thick, I have dropped a couple without breaking, one of my "infections" almost emptied the bottle when I opened it, so I assume there was a bit of pressure in there.

Hey guys want to start racking to avoid above problems, as im going to stop using coopers drops and move to straight dextrose. Just getting confused how to work out how much sugar to dissolve when racking. For example this weekend im bottling a Wheat Beer:

OG 1040
FG 1008 (probably)
23 Litre Batch

Any ideas guys. Sorry if this is a silly question. I was thinking I should just do 23L divided by 750ml = 30 Longies. Then 30 x 6g of dextrose = 180g dextrose? Also how much water do I boil it in and do I add the sugar with the water? As i'm guessing it would dissolve. Sorry again if this is silly.

Have a read of the carbonation primer in Post 10. all these questions answered.
TP

3.6 is pretty high end carbonation. I usually stick around 2.2 - 2.4 depending on style. I don't like heaps of fizz admittedly but even my recent weizen was only done to 2.9. I think 3.6 is overkill.

thanks thats helpful.

Latest posts

Back