Christmas Lotto 2014

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sp0rk said:
Did my baltic porter end up arriving?
Admittedly I know the carbonation was low and it may have been a little oxidised (I was lazy and bottled with a pluto gun...)
Sorry mate I've just gone back through my tasting notes and it seems like I've forgotten to post the BP review. Will hopefully have the pic and post now.

Spork - Baltic Porter 7.4%abv

Spork_BP.jpg

Very dark brown- similar colour to coke, minimal head that disappears ~ 30 sec to nothing, sweet malty aroma, maybe subtle spice.

Low carbonation, full bodied, bit of a bitterness bite that compliments the roasty/biscuity malt, it's there but not not harsh.

Sorry to spork- this one slipped through the cracks (and it was after a Sporter and breakfast stout so mayybe I was a little forgetful! :lol: )

Judanero said:
n87 - Golden Ale

attachicon.gif
n87_notHH.jpg

Crystal clear golden colour that poured a nice dense head.

Hoppy/fruity aroma-lychee? Good mouthfeel, med boy, crisp hop flavour, nice and easy drinking beer.

Glad you enjoyed them.

1 question: how the fek did you get head on that Golden... it was under carbed and the most i can get at my place is a feint skin of bubbles :beer:

n87 said:
1 question: how the fek did you get head on that Golden... it was under carbed and the most i can get at my place is a feint skin of bubbles :beer:
As Charlie Bamforth ('the pope of foam') likes to advocate, I "poured it with vigor" :lol:

In addition to his terrific saison (review somewhere earlier in the thread), potof4x also sent a bonus bottle of his Epic Pale Ale clone.
Via pm he suggested it was 'just ok', which probably biased my tasting a bit. I'd definitely say it was better than 'just ok', but it certainly wasn't as good as the saison.

It's a dark amber, almost brown. Large head but that could have been me drunkenly 'pouring with vigour' (thanks for the term Judanero).
It was a good beer, but there was an aftertaste that seemed a bit out of place. I can't exactly place it.

Anyway, it certainly wasn't a bad beer, and I still think I was influenced by the pre-warning, which actually strikes me as something I'd do myself.

Thanks again for the double delivery potof4x!
ps. I'm a biabacus user too, and have been working through a variety of recipes from BCS, so thanks very much for the saison file.

med_gallery_30557_1269_1362326.jpg

In a similar vein to potof4x, Topher was briefly the voice of doom with his beer. A couple of days after he posted it I got a warning that it was probably a bottle of DMS.
Fortunately for me it was a very, very nice beer, either that or I am incapable of detecting DMS.

A variant on DSGA using Perle malt and rye, dry hopped with Amarillo.

After Topher's warning I opened it with some trepidation but on pouring received a massive Amarillo aroma.
It has a bitter finish and the rye really came through as well.

Towards the end of the bottle I thought there may have been some slight 'fault' odour, but it was fleeting and maybe my imagination.

Great beer!

med_gallery_30557_1269_778875.jpg

Judanero said:
Blinddog - ESB

attachicon.gif
Blindog ESB.jpg

Deep amber colour- crystal clear clarity, pours a thick off-white head that reduced to 1/2" thick and remained the entire pint.

Malty/sweet aroma, hint of pine/ floral aroma, full bodied, great carbonation.

Ridiculous beer. Malt and hops are balanced beautifully, absolutely delicious.

Would love the recipe!! One of the stand out beers without a doubt.
Glad you enjoyed it. I've posted the recipe in the recipe thread. I've found it rewards a little patience (leave it post FG in the fermentor for a while to clean up; let it condition for 4 weeks plus in the bottle / keg before drinking).

Latest posts

Back