Christmas in July 2015 Lotto

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Milk Stout (5.9% abv) Grott

IMG_5368.jpg

Jet black Stout that pours a tan head with medium sized bubbles.

Sweet malty aroma with hints of roast barley and something else... maybe molasses? (It was doing my head in to identify what it was, I even brought the missus in for her opinion because she has a much ether nose than I. Her insight: "It smells like beer.")

Medium body, slightly over carbonated mouthfeel, good head retention, sweet aftertaste, very nice stout.

Tried MadPierre06's Bohemian Pilsner
(the coffee imperial stout is going to be left to age for a few months)

Thanks Allan :)

Taste notes:
I got floral hops and slight malt on the nose of this golden coloured pilsner.
It had a creamy long lasting head. I'm not sure if it was my transportation methods, but it was slightly hazy, as per the picture.
The flavour was again floral with a hint of spice from the hops, they did out-shine the malt a little.
Did you do mash steps? Adjust your water profile? Those two generally contribute to a more distinct malt profile.

Great beer mate, a bit more clarity and perhaps slightly less carbonation and you'd be onto a winner in my books. TOP JOB :)

I also received Geoff Teweirik's cider, which I'm yet to try. It's chilling in the fridge at the moment.

IMAG2906.jpg

Judanero said:
Hop Thief Clone (4.6% abv) Wee Jimmy

attachicon.gif
IMG_5340.jpg

Crystal clear amber coloured pale ale. Pours a nice head of dense bubbles, nice fruity/floral aroma- beautiful hoppy aroma.

Medium body, spot on carbonation, hops dominant (slightly piney/ rosiny aftertaste) but malt is still present, more hoppy than a JSHT without doing a side by side but it's awesome.

Delicious APA that I think would be even better in another month once the hops mellow a bit, they're not overpowering by any means though.
Glad you liked it, I tell you what as you weren't home I nearly drank it and left an empty on the doorstep so you could blame the neighbors.......
Wee Jimmy

Really nice beer mate... would love it if you could PM me the recipe or post it, great APA that I'd happily have on tap!

seehuusen said:
Tried MadPierre06's Bohemian Pilsner
(the coffee imperial stout is going to be left to age for a few months)

Thanks Allan :)

Taste notes:
I got floral hops and slight malt on the nose of this golden coloured pilsner.
It had a creamy long lasting head. I'm not sure if it was my transportation methods, but it was slightly hazy, as per the picture.
The flavour was again floral with a hint of spice from the hops, they did out-shine the malt a little.
Did you do mash steps? Adjust your water profile? Those two generally contribute to a more distinct malt profile.

Great beer mate, a bit more clarity and perhaps slightly less carbonation and you'd be onto a winner in my books. TOP JOB :)

I also received Geoff Teweirik's cider, which I'm yet to try. It's chilling in the fridge at the moment.
Cheers Martin, I'd love to take the credit but modesty forbids me :D All I did was throw in a packet of yeast to one of Ross's fresh wort kits and let brewing technology do the rest. It is a lovely little drop, eh. And a nice warm kick to it as well. I didn't have any full AG brews on hand which I would have been happy sending to anyone other than the stout which you've got.

Saison (5.5% abv) Bridges

IMG_5381.jpg

Straw coloured, slightly hazy appearance, pours a nice thick head of medium to large bubbles.

Spicey aroma with a hint of cloves, also get kind of faint citrusy aroma as well, dry and almost peppery flavour, really nice saison.

Coffee-Infused Porter Mudd

IMG_5382.jpg

Ruby highlights when held up to light, pours minimal to no head, malty aroma of coffee and roasted barley.

Roast/coffee flavour dominates, slight burnt aftertaste but not unpleasant, was great to enjoy on a bloody cold night and had just polished off a baked dinner.

Oatmeal Stout Michael16

IMG_5390.jpg

Pours a nice thick tan coloured head of reasonably medium to large bubbles, ruby highlights around the edges when held up to the light otherwise jet black.

Roast aroma there but not overly strong, spot on carbonation for style, roasty/sharp aftertaste, silky mouthfeel that helps round out what is a nice full bodied stout.

Oktoberfest Schoey

IMG_5408.jpg

Oktob.jpg

Let me start off by saying- man is this a good beer!

Beautiful copper/reddish colour, crystal clear- the pic doesn't do it justice.. it is bright and crystal clear, nice dense head of small-tight bubbles.

Faint malty aroma, medium body, creamy/silky mouthfeel, all in all nice malty goodness! Would love the recipe.

Cider by geoff_tewierik

I'm not extremely well traversed when it comes to Ciders, but let me just say this, after having a great example like this one, I could certainly be convinced to make a few batches myself!
This cider, with a reported final gravity of less than water (0.998), it was actually not as dry as I had initially imagined. There was a great fresh tart apple flavour in it, which made my mouth water and long for more - every time I put the glass down!

Top job mate, and thanks for the drink :)

IMAG2932.jpg

Munich Dunkel Schoey

IMG_5429.jpg

Deep copper/ brown colour with an off white head of tight bubbles.

Nice malty aroma of figs & toffee, carbonation gives creamy mouthfeel, med-full bodied (may be carbonation aiding body), malty-toasty-slightly sweet after taste as well as a very mild alcohol warming.

Wee-Heavy MichaelD16

IMG_5487.jpg

Very dark brown with ruby highlights, tight head.

Raison/ dark fruit aroma, full bodied, sweet-dark fruit like flavour, very malty, sweet aftertaste, did this end with a high final gravity? Doesn't fit with other wee heavy examples I've had, I am by no means an expert on the style- just going on previous experience.

Robust Porter Schoey

IMG_5488.jpg

Light doesn't pass through this porter, off white head with large bubbles.

Malty aroma, roasty/maly flavour, medium bodied, good carbonation for style, smooth porter.

grott said:
sounds great, do you want to post the recipe "Cider by geoff_tewierik"?
Cheers
Simply 5L of Apple Juice (thought it was 10L when I bought it - my bad) from Stanthorpe that I picked up on my way back from a MTB race in Armidale. Added some Wyeast 4766 and let it ferment at 18 degrees C.

Second one is in bottles at the moment and is not as dry SG of 1.050, FG of 1.000 (had a bottle on Saturday night), was made with 14L of Nudie Apple Juice dumped onto the yeast cake from cider #1.

Glad you enjoyed Cider #1 seehusen. I've got 2 bottles left for state/national champs later this year.

Judanero said:
Wee-Heavy MichaelD16

IMG_5487.jpg

Very dark brown with ruby highlights, tight head.

Raison/ dark fruit aroma, full bodied, sweet-dark fruit like flavour, very malty, sweet aftertaste, did this end with a high final gravity? Doesn't fit with other wee heavy examples I've had, I am by no means an expert on the style- just going on previous experience.
Can't find my notes at the moment I think I sent a sheet with the bottles with the details but from memory the finishing Gravity was 1016 or 1018 high mash temp and bugger all Ibu still within the style guidelines I was aiming for something on the sweeter side something along the lines of a traquir house ale which from memory had a bit of sweetness to it, at least that's how I remembered it been a few yrs since trying it in scotland

American IPA 6.4% Dj Lethal

IMG_5521.jpg

Amber, slight haze, small head of dense bubbles.

Fruity/floral hop aroma that is present but subdued (what hop is it?), good carbonation, medium body,
unique flavour profile, malt present but is hop forward... Different IPA but thoroughly enjoyable, not in your face hoppy or bitter.

I would lean towards it being more of an American Amber than IPA but would love the recipe, it's a good beer.

Rogers Clone (English Mild 3.7% abv) Dj Lethal

IMG_5522.jpg

Deep copper colour, small tight head.

Aroma of plasticine? Tastes of blackcurrant, slightly watery, thin body.

Latest posts

Back