Christmas In July 2010 Lotto

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What did you send him? The prize winning stout????

Yeah, I did. Had already resolved to send it no matter what happened, and after an infected batch it was all I really had that would not be a cloudy mess upon arrival. Hope it is enjoyed!

2. WSC - Public: RECEIVED Consumed
4. Sydneyhappyhour- RECEIVED Consumed
6. beerDingo -
8. Argon -public: RECEIVED Consumed
10. Siborg - RECEIEVED Consumed
12. Isuxius - public: RECEIVED: Consumed
14. gulpa - public: RECEIVED Consumed
20.pike1973: RECEIVED
22.Smilee: RECEIVED
26. Haldini - public: RECEIVED consumed
28. Ratchie: RECEIVED
30.beerhog - public: RECEIVED - 1 consumed, 1 saved
32. AndrewQLD - public: RECEIVED - 1 consumed, 1 saved
34. Homebrewer79 - public: RECEIVED: Consumed
40. QldKev - public: RECEIVED: Consumed
42. booyablack - public: RECEIVED
44.Smilee - public: RECEIVED
52. Cocko: public: RECEIVED Consumed
58. O'Henry: RECEIVED
70. Aussiechucka - private: RECEIVED

Siborg - had your stout the other night. I haven't offered detailed feedback here because I sent a PM last time I tried it but very tasty. Edges have rounded out a little with time but still very ballsy. Good stout for the dedicated.

No probs with carb or head or any of those things.

5. Muggus - Black Warrior Jnr Stout

Black with large tan head which was well retained.
A complex aroma of herbal, spicy hops, liquorice and background grain.
Flavour consisting of dark roasted grains and herbal, grassy hops. Liquorice and coffee in the aftertaste, with a firm hop bitterness. Slight astringency adds to the dryness of the finish, with some warming alcohol.
Medium body and good moderate carbonation.
You said this stout wasn't textbook Muggus, which was true. It was probably hoppier than one might expect from the style, which worked for me and really added to its complexity. It made for a fascinating tasting experience, with some unexpected characteristics that all combined to make a thoroughly enjoyable stout on a rainy winters night. I would be curious to know what hops you used, as it lent a distinctive aroma and flavour which I have not come across before. I assume Warrior from the name ;) Thanks for the experience mate, and for the home delivery.

Catch you at the next HUB meet.

Cheers

Jord

5. Muggus - Black Warrior Jnr Stout

Black with large tan head which was well retained.
A complex aroma of herbal, spicy hops, liquorice and background grain.
Flavour consisting of dark roasted grains and herbal, grassy hops. Liquorice and coffee in the aftertaste, with a firm hop bitterness. Slight astringency adds to the dryness of the finish, with some warming alcohol.
Medium body and good moderate carbonation.
You said this stout wasn't textbook Muggus, which was true. It was probably hoppier than one might expect from the style, which worked for me and really added to its complexity. It made for a fascinating tasting experience, with some unexpected characteristics that all combined to make a thoroughly enjoyable stout on a rainy winters night. I would be curious to know what hops you used, as it lent a distinctive aroma and flavour which I have not come across before. I assume Warrior from the name ;) Thanks for the experience mate, and for the home delivery.

Catch you at the next HUB meet.

Cheers

Jord
Thanks Jord. Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

You pretty much nailed it on the head, the hop indeed is Warrior, a fair bit too, almost into "black IPA" territory.
Pretty much 30g additions at 90, 15, 5 minutes, and a 60g dry addition after a week. Ended up around 80IBU, which is alot for a 4.7% beer.
The idea was to replicate an imperial stout that I made a few months earlier, thus the name Black Warrior Junior, but in a more drinkable form...plus brewing an imperial stout was a bit of an ordeal!

I might actually bring a bottle of the Imperial Stout to the next HUB meeting.

O'Henry- American Oatmeal stout - tasted late last night after a massive day (started 9am, finished 12 am) so notes not as detailed as many of the others. However - great beer and I feel a bit honoured to try next August's release before many other people.

Really smooth, oatmeal was present in both mouthfeel and flavour, rich, creamy, good head, very black but ruby highlights. Subtle bitterness, just enough to balance the creaminess from the oats, tiny hint of sweet. Pretty much 10/10

Wish you had entered the lottery 8 times.

Qldkev

Thanks for starting this again, spewin I made another donation, but will continue to enter, hoping one day to win.
I think this time of year worked better and hopefully the beers arrived in better condition than trucking around the country in summer.
I think this time of year must also be better for brewers, anyone else notice the difference in tone that this thread had, compared to last summers version.
Christmas in July Lotto - a hit.

Planner

Cocko: Something in a bottle

No probs with carb A - pours with a fluffy meringue like head. Aroma is subdued hops with a touch of malt. Colour is golden, slightly murky.

Flavour is a bit of malt and hops in balance - neither one way or the other but not insipid. Reminds me a little of Duvel*, malty but not caramel, bitter but not way way hoppy. Good beer, very much enjoying and a nice break from highly hopped and high alc beers I've had of late. Cheers

Glad it carbed up for ya mate, thanks for the report.

Its good to brew a easy drinker every now and then... just well, for easy drinking!

:icon_cheers:

Qldkev

Thanks for starting this again, spewin I made another donation, but will continue to enter, hoping one day to win.
I think this time of year worked better and hopefully the beers arrived in better condition than trucking around the country in summer.
I think this time of year must also be better for brewers, anyone else notice the difference in tone that this thread had, compared to last summers version.
Christmas in July Lotto - a hit.

Planner

Thanks for the reply, you have made my day. I too have only ever donated beers to this cause. I too like the split up of the winnings as done this time.

QldKev

13. NickB - Dark Mild

Deep mahogany and great clarity. Low off white head with little retention.
Sweet malt, roast, sultanas, chocolate and slight sherry aroma.
Low bitterness, low hops. Bucket loads of smooth malt with crystal sweetness and some chocolate.
Light body and low carbonation rounded out one very drinkable Mild!
Loved this beer nick! It was a real sum of its parts, all adding up to a fine example of what this beer should be. It didn't lack in flavour, and was spot on for carbonation. A Mild to aspire to, and I would value your recipe highly.

Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

Jord

Ask and ye shall receive:

Recipe: Old Rifle Range Dark Mild (MK III)
Style: 11A-English Brown Ale-Mild

Recipe Overview

Wort Volume Before Boil: 30.00 l
Wort Volume After Boil: 22.00 l
Volume Transferred: 21.00 l
Volume At Pitching: 21.00 l
Final Batch Volume: 20.00 l
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.027 SG
Expected OG: 1.036 SG
Expected FG: 1.011 SG
Expected ABV: 3.4 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 23.2
Expected Color: 55.8 EBC
Mash Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Duration: 60.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 18 degC

Fermentables
UK Maris Otter 2.500 kg (70.4 %) In Mash/Steeped
Belgian Biscuit Malt 0.250 kg (7.0 %) In Mash/Steeped
German CaraRed 0.200 kg (5.6 %) In Mash/Steeped
German CaraAroma 0.200 kg (5.6 %) In Mash/Steeped
German Carafa II 0.200 kg (5.6 %) In Mash/Steeped
UK Flaked Oats 0.200 kg (5.6 %) In Mash/Steeped

Hops
UK Admiral (10.6 % alpha) 10 g Loose Pellet Hops used 60 Min From End
UK Kent Golding (4.7 % alpha) 20 g Loose Pellet Hops used 20 Min From End

Other Ingredients
Gypsum 7 g used In Mash
Koppafloc 1 g used In Boil

Yeast: Wyeast 1099-Whitbread Ale

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Full Mash
Schedule Name:Single Step Infusion (68C/154F) w/Mash-Out
Step: Rest at 68 degC for 60 mins
Step: Raise to and Mash out at 77 degC for 10 mins

Planning to up the flaked oats, and either add the CaraFa at mash out, or sub for some pale chocolate for the next batch.

Glad you enjoyed!

Cheers

Booyablack - can't remember and bottle wasn't labelled - definitely UK something - could be ESB or could be Irish Red. Leverl of bitterness leads me towards the latter.

Pours beautifully clear with off white head that dissipates and laces.

Aroma is delicious - full of malt and a hint of citrus.

Carbonation moderate, mouthfeel full.

Flavour is as aroma and delicious except for one thing I can't put my finger on. There's a tiny hint of something that all at once reminds me of malt extract and the vaguest hint of rubber.

This would be an aboslutely superb beer without this quality. As mentioned, it's subtle and I don't know what it is. Rubber can be an infection but this beer is definitely not off - the hint is very faint. Could just be extract (I'm not a fan of something extract leaves in many beers- no idea what your brewing methods are).

Not sure what it is and if I'm describing it correctly but definitely brew this one many times as whatever the recipe is it's got something going for it

Cheers for the feedback Manticle. As per usual you've hit a couple of nails on the head.

That was in fact an Irish Red. I used cdbrown's "Who Killed Kenny" recipe from the recipedb hence the "WKK" on the cap.

It also is an extract beer and since you said you've noticed the "rubber" taste in extracts before, I assume that that's what you're tasting. Either way I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Hopefully it'll be you sending me a beer next time!

Cheers,

booyablack

O'Henry- American Oatmeal stout - tasted late last night after a massive day (started 9am, finished 12 am) so notes not as detailed as many of the others. However - great beer and I feel a bit honoured to try next August's release before many other people.

Really smooth, oatmeal was present in both mouthfeel and flavour, rich, creamy, good head, very black but ruby highlights. Subtle bitterness, just enough to balance the creaminess from the oats, tiny hint of sweet. Pretty much 10/10

Wish you had entered the lottery 8 times.

Thanks manitcle. Glad you enjoyed it. I was pretty happy with it, maybe a bit more hops next time. But the malt was bang on what I wanted.
Bottled the real thing at work today so should be out soon.

Cheers for the feedback Manticle. As per usual you've hit a couple of nails on the head.

That was in fact an Irish Red. I used cdbrown's "Who Killed Kenny" recipe from the recipedb hence the "WKK" on the cap.

It also is an extract beer and since you said you've noticed the "rubber" taste in extracts before, I assume that that's what you're tasting. Either way I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Hopefully it'll be you sending me a beer next time!

Cheers,

booyablack

It was a taste I associate with extract PLUS a tiny hint of something rubbery that was so faint I wasn't sure it was there.

Pike1973: APA: I poured this into a jug since you warned me about sediment. Decanting it seems to come out fine - slightly cloudy but no different to many APAs I've tried. Poured almost completely head though - had to wait a bit to pour it into my glass. A giant pavlova floating in a little bit of beer inside a jug.

Monstrous head, slowly thins to a lace. Aroma of grapefruit so I'm guessing cascade or centennial. Colour pale amber. Carbonation very mild which is surprising considering the head. Some people would consider it a bit low but for my tastes it's pretty good.

Flavour is almost all hops - tastes like I'm drinking a grapefruit. Not sure what you meant about bland mate - maybe you drank yours too green. Not a massive amount in the malt department although the mouthfeel is good.

Basically a very refreshing pale ale that with the addition of a few grains could get a nice complexity going. The mouthfeel balances the fruitiness from the hops and malt backbone would go well with that. Nice subtle lingering bitterness.

I think it's a good extract recipe you've got there - hop schedule would definitely work if you could remember what it was. A beer I would not have been ashamed to offer my friends had I made it.

Cheers.

1. Aussiechucka - private : Received
5. Muggus - I'll put my entry in with your HUB case swap beers : Received
13. NickB - Public Feedback : Received
17.Chadjaja : Received
21.DKS. Yes, Feedback please. Thinking of brewing again with slightly different base malt. : Received
25. Josh - public feedback : Received
69. MattC - Public : Received
67. J1gsaw : Received
75. Planner - public feedback, only if you get around to it (wasn't the reason I entered) : Received
79. bum - public feedback : Received

17.Chadjaja - Belgian Dark Strong Ale

Deep copper with good clarity. A thin head that quickly dispersed.
Aroma of rich malt, dark fruit, peppery phenols and alcohol. This all carried through in the flavour, with smooth malt and alcohol in the finish. Moderate carbonation, body and bitterness.
A smooth ale for its size, and well balanced. Sent me off to bed in a fine mood. Many thanks Chadjaja.

79. bum - Smoked Ale

Dark copper colour, with good clarity. Low creamy off white head.
Aroma of malt and smokey bacon, fairly clean with low esters and no detectable hops.
Smokey malt and slight fruitiness up front, then sweet malt; and leaving smoke, malt and low hops in the aftertaste. Dries out nicely, with moderate bitterness. A slight astringency in the aftertaste, no doubt from the smoked malt, is the only flaw I could pick up.

Bum, as is usually the case, you are the hardest critic of your own beer. I found it to be a very enjoyable drop, with nothing offensive to my tastes apart from the astringency which was slight. You have achieved good balance between the base beer (porter?) and the smoke, neither of which dominated the other. And whilst obviously not a session beer, it went very well with a steak! Thanks for following through and sending it, though I know you weren't happy with it. For mine, it did you no disservice!

Cheers

Jord

Thanks for your kind words, Jord. One of my bigger issues with the beer is one you've mentioned in passing but I will highlight: smoke aside this beer is almost entirely nondescript for me - to the point of not even knowing what it was supposed to be...and I made it! In regard to your question, yes it was supposed to be porter, smoked chocolate porter infact but I was completely timid with my recipe design (having never used many of these grains before) and as such it ended up being almost entirely without any specific malt character. Other main issues for me are an entirely wrong choice of yeast and an unpleasant focus on the alcohol. Could you be drawn to comment on the alcohol at all? I was pretty sure I managed the ferment reasonably well - certainly not so poorly that I was pushing fusels - so I'm at something of a loss. My best theory is the lack of any sort of depth of character for it to hide behind?

Having said all that it seems a better beer now than when I sent it. Hopefully a couple months might save it for me. I'm glad I didn't put you off beer for life!

Smilee

English bitter

Pours clear amber with a massive fluffy head, tight and meringue like. I seem to have been pushing away a cold that never really hit so my sinuses aren't 100% but there's quite a strong yeast aroma.

Carbonation mild/moderate.

Some sweet toffee in the taste which is unfortunately masked by a slight vegemite saltiness and a tiny hint of metal suggesting a little bit of autolysis. The maltiness and colour combined with the carb level and fluffy residual head would make this a great beer if that characteristic were not there. It's not so strong as to render undrinkable (I've had some that are) and it fades significantly after a few sips so I get more of the caramel which is lingering and quite lovely.

A little bit of extra bitter wouldn't go astray - has a sweetness more in line with a brown ale. That said it would pass as a good brown ale as is (minus the veg) - depends which way you want to head.

My initial impression with the yeast aroma and autolysis was unfavourable but as with all tastings, the beer will develop different characters as you sip - this one certainly improves and has the makings of a good beer.

Did it stay long on the bulk of the yeast cake or did you pitch an extra large amount of yeast?

Smilee

English bitter

Pours clear amber with a massive fluffy head, tight and meringue like. I seem to have been pushing away a cold that never really hit so my sinuses aren't 100% but there's quite a strong yeast aroma.

Carbonation mild/moderate.

Some sweet toffee in the taste which is unfortunately masked by a slight vegemite saltiness and a tiny hint of metal suggesting a little bit of autolysis. The maltiness and colour combined with the carb level and fluffy residual head would make this a great beer if that characteristic were not there. It's not so strong as to render undrinkable (I've had some that are) and it fades significantly after a few sips so I get more of the caramel which is lingering and quite lovely.

A little bit of extra bitter wouldn't go astray - has a sweetness more in line with a brown ale. That said it would pass as a good brown ale as is (minus the veg) - depends which way you want to head.

My initial impression with the yeast aroma and autolysis was unfavourable but as with all tastings, the beer will develop different characters as you sip - this one certainly improves and has the makings of a good beer.

Did it stay long on the bulk of the yeast cake or did you pitch an extra large amount of yeast?
\

Thank you.

You are quite right. I normally rack my beer but did not with that one (bit overstretched in my personal life) so it spent 10 days on "lees"I wonder if you did not get one of the last bottles as well..

I also agree with the bitterness as I added some more hops to the next brew..Fuggles from memory. Thanks for the feedback..Hope you enjoy the stout..1 of my favourites that one!

Latest posts

Back