Choosing Steeping Grains (and Some Other Q's)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milky11111

Reaction score
So I've decided I'm going to buy a second fermenter tomorrow, brewing with one just isn't supplying enough beer to keep my stock continuous, plus it will give me the option to rack into a secondary if I'm only brewing one at the time. I'm thinking of brewing something like this in it:

1x Morgans Bitter
1x BE 1 or 2 etc.
1x 12g Pride of Ringwood
Kit Yeast (Too lazy to proper lager.)
250g Dextrose

Now I've been steeping grains in my last few batches and would like to steep some into this brew too, problem being I'm not sure which grains go well with what so I'm looking for advice on which grains go well with bitter type beers. Also the POR is one of those lame teabag-style-coffee-cup deals, this would be fine to just cut open and boil for 5-10min in the wort right?

I also have some dreg ingredients laying around:
24g Cluster
2kg Caramalt LME
45g Amarillo (Pellets)

I'm not very expierenced with combining different hops either so I'm not sure if any of the above would go well with the POR.

Thanks

--Milky

You can get a good yeast that doesn't need lager, but is still better than a can yeast. Nottingham, Windsor, US05, Safale 04 are all great dry yeasts that offer convenience of ale brewing without lagering.

Fine to cut tea bag and chuck in wort.

I personally like a bit of Cara-something or Melanoidin just to slightly balance out bitterness personally.

Goomba

Crystal malt goes with most brews quite well and only requires steeping. Keep it down to approx 300g per brew you should be good.

As we post I am just steeping Crystal Heritage (Medium)
on a recommendation from BribieG in another thread.

Smells fantastic and he reckons it tastes good too. There are quite a few types of Crystal to choose from and all the "Cara" malts are steepable so you should have no problem apart from being spoilt for choice.

I reckon a medium crystal is a good place to start as it will be good for most general ale types.

Edit: spellings

Crystal Heritage; sounds good might order some right now!

Tweaked and finished:

1x Morgan's Bitter Kit
1x 1kg Brew Cellar #10 Body Blend**
250g Dextrose
250g Crystal Heritage
12g Pride of Ringwood (15min)
12g Pride of Ringwood (Dry)
US-05 Yeast

Making me thirsty already. :icon_drool2:

Latest posts

Back