Choosing Liquid Yeasts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh dear, do some reading

sterile water means pressure cooked water, pure and simple. Just boiled just does not cut it

JM

Is this the right room for an argument?

I've told you once

I hate to jump into an argument, but we used to sterilise water at uni by boiling it vigorously for 15 mins. The problem is that you cannot guarantee boiling water is 100deg (well actually 99.974deg) unless it is in a pressure cooker, (and even then impurities drop the boil point of water, so you need pure water to start with!) but we were told that if you are at sea level it's "close enough" for most uses.

Jovial_Monk said:
That improvement is to add sugar to the water. I dunno the details, search the HBD.

Oh, and "sterile water" does NOT mean boiled water!
A 10 minute boil will easily kill beer spoilage organisms found in tap water
Hi

JM, do you or anyone alse have a link to an article that says about using sugar? Normally you wouldn't use sugar as you want the yeast to stay dormant under the water and also yeast should be fed maltose and all those other malt derived goodies rather than sucrose - you never make a start with sucrose for that reason.

On the second point with sterile water, I wouldn't argue with someone working on a PhD in microbiology :unsure:

Cheers
Pedro

Personally...Im not that ANAL about it. If cultured yeast from a stubby is GOOD ENOUGH for HOME BREW, Ill take mine from the bottom of my bottles.

When it starts to get sluggish in the starter...time to get a new yeast

Just my thoughts, not the rules

Pedro,

Search the HBD like I said

The sugar is said to give two years rather than 1 years life to the cultured yeast.

Tom

JM

I DID search the HBD for quite some time for "sterile water" and sugar and yeast, but could not find anything relevant'

Pedro

3 pitching of one yeast is enough for me

culture yeast, hmmm how do you know what you are culturing w/o electron microscope and lab facilities? look on White Labs site, even "single cell" culture can have bacteria in it

JM

Like I said "HOMEBREW" not "MEGABREW"

Making high gravity beers.
Q. I am wanting to brew a belgian trippel and have not had good luck in culturing the yeast from the bottom of a bottle of a belgian trippel even though I have all the supplies at work in my microbiology lab. Which of your yeasts do you believe is best for brewing this type of beer. Thanks for the info.

A. The Wyeast #3787 is a good choice for triples, with a rich robust profile. Two others to consider is #1214, fruity estery, and very attenuative, also #1762 which is cleanest in profile with a relatively dry finish.

The above is a quote from the Wyeast site. FAQ section.
So............it seems to apply to one brewer at least. But how many people do they think actually work in a microbiology lab. :lol: :lol:

cheers

Then use White Labs yeast. No presumption of working in a microbiology lab! ;)

Have any of you guys ever frozen your yeast i read about it a while ago you put 25% glicerin 25% water 50% yeasts does it work how long does it last if you use this method

sintax

Jovial_Monk said:
Oh dear, do some reading

sterile water means pressure cooked water, pure and simple. Just boiled just does not cut it

JM
In the home enviroment sterile water is only sterile until the bottle is opened.
All the air around you is FILLED with bacteria and wild yeasts
What you are trying to eliminate is beer spoilage organisms. ie those that can survive in acidic conditions with low 02. These organisms are generally killed readily by a 10 minute boil.
Bugs such as Pediococcus etc that are heat resistant are not typically found in chlorinated tap water.
Which organisms are you concerned about Tom?

Sterile just means there are no living bugs. How you sterilise depends on what bugs you want to get rid of. The only way you can be sure it's completely sterile is to heat to 121oC for 20 minutes or so in an autoclave which is just a big pressure cooker. That's what they do in labs & hospitals where it's critical that things are truly sterile. This will kill the spores of the bacterium Bacillus stereothermophilus (sorry the spelling's probably not right but it's been a while) which is the reference organism for this procedure. So technically the Monk's correct. However, for our purposes boiling is good enough because it will destroy pretty much anything likely to be in your tapwater. Unless you keep spores of the bacterium Bacillus stereothermophilus up there ;). So Darren's right too. Lets call it a draw. :D
The addition of sugar to the storage water would be to reduce the osmotic pressure difference between the inside & outside of the yeast cells so ions aren't forced out of the yeast into the water damaging the cell walls of the yeast. I would expect the yeast to metabolise the sugar like Pedro suggested but maybe the byproducts of the metabolism serve a similiar function & stabilise things somehow? In practice 1 year's probably long enough - you can always reculture & start again.

Latest posts

Back