• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Chinook and Victoria rhizomes for sale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drsmurto

Reaction score
$15/rhizome plus express postage (postage costs $11 for 1-2 rhizomes, $15 for 3+).

PM me your orders and I'll respond with bank details

Not available to post to WA or TAS due to your states quarantine rules.

Rhizomes will be posted on Mondays only.

Bulk deals available (20+).

Good Dr, can provide the form needed to send to those states.. Er. Or is that just for flowers...

Either way, smurtos chinook is the great grandfather of mine any many other people's mad arsed backyard invasion plants..

Highly recommend getting on these quality producers..

Sorry Yob. I've never seen the form. I have spoken to the relevant authorities and decided it was more hassle than it's worth for a few $.

Will you have any other varieties later? definitely want some victoria but would rather another to bundle for postage.

Home grown Chinook is somewhat different than commercial, and one of my favourite home grown hops, FWIW. Also, it's a strong grower and producer.

I bought the Chinook from DrSmurto last season and it did extremely well for me, and I would use the term "somewhat different than commercial" very lightly haha.

ok, any idea on success of growing victoria in qld?

I'm always ready to learn and try. Never grown hops or researched hops horticulture....therefore I'm all in!

Chinook and Victoria for Brisbane climate? Arana Hills has soil made of, well, rocks. Planters, massive pots, small pots?

What's the rhizome failure rate with a learner? Best go for three I suppose.

Guide and I shall acquire.

gunn said:
ok, any idea on success of growing victoria in qld?
You've had success with Chinook so i see no reason Victoria won't do well too.

Plenty of people growing hops in Brisbane successfully.

Edit - thanks to all who have sent PMs, I'll respond to each of you today with payment details.

I forgot to mention in the original post that i include a growing guide with the rhizomes. I'd prefer it be sent via email to save all the wastage printing them out so please include an email address with your order.

zorsoc_cosdog said:
I'm always ready to learn and try. Never grown hops or researched hops horticulture....therefore I'm all in!

Chinook and Victoria for Brisbane climate? Arana Hills has soil made of, well, rocks. Planters, massive pots, small pots?

What's the rhizome failure rate with a learner? Best go for three I suppose.

Guide and I shall acquire.
Ideally like most plants, in the ground is best. If that's not possible then my second choice would be half wine barrels or a pot of similar size. How much room do you have? Hops can grow 6m in height and a few metres wide.

As mentioned in my last post, plenty of hops growing successfully in Brisbane. Not sure of success rate for first time growers. How are you general horticulture skills?

I have plenty of room and good access to morning to daytime sunlight. Arvos are darker here. I'm comfortable in the garden but don't have a lot of knowledge.

Do hops transplant well? Maybe I could start in a smaller pot and and then move to a much larger barrel when the size is right.

zorsoc_cosdog said:
I have plenty of room and good access to morning to daytime sunlight. Arvos are darker here. I'm comfortable in the garden but don't have a lot of knowledge.

Do hops transplant well? Maybe I could start in a smaller pot and and then move to a much larger barrel when the size is right.
The minimum pot size i would recommend is 30cm diameter and at least that deep. Growing instructions i include contains information on soil and nutrients for best growth.

Edit - they'll transplant fine, after all that's how I am able to sell them.

Massive thanks to the good doctor - got home from work today to find two truly massive Victoria rhizomes waiting for me. Looking forward to getting them in the ground on the weekend.

Always good to hear my babies arrived safely to their new homes.

It was a great season for rhizomes, they are as fat and healthy as I've ever seen them.

Latest posts

Back