"chinese Maltose" Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helmut

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone has tried this yet but I just bought 6 tubs of 500g Chinese Maltose from the local asian grocer. I've seen a couple of posts about using this stuff as an adjunct in beers but I was thinking of an experimental "Chinese Maltose beer".

Thinking of (from ingredients on hand):

3kg x Chinese Maltose (Rice,Malt,Water from the ingredients list)
300g x Caramalt (Steeped)
20g x POR 10%AA @45mins
20g x POR 10%AA @15mins
25g x Cascade 7%AA @15mins
Nottingham Yeast
21L Brew

I have no idea whether this will taste any good or not, but the maltose cost $12 so no great loss if it goes sour.

I'm open to any ideas.

Cheers,

Leon

Great idea.

I'd drop the PoR at 15 minutes though, but that's just me.

I've long wanted to try this but never got round to it. I'd add a rounded tsp of yeast nutrient as well, to be on the safe side. Can't turn out any worse than a Cerveza kit plus a kilo of sugaz :ph34r:
My only fear is it might turn out a bit sweet but then you could always drink it as a radler.

Thanks for the comments guys, I don't have any yeast nutrient but I could try upping the yeast quantity, I have 3 jars of Nottingham in the fridge from an old brew that I can use. Nick JD, do you think the second POR addition will make it too bitter or too hoppy? Maybe I could drop it and add some more Cascade as a "Dry Hop", or just leave it at 2 hop additions?

Thanks for the comments guys, I don't have any yeast nutrient but I could try upping the yeast quantity, I have 3 jars of Nottingham in the fridge from an old brew that I can use. Nick JD, do you think the second POR addition will make it too bitter or too hoppy? Maybe I could drop it and add some more Cascade as a "Dry Hop", or just leave it at 2 hop additions?

I'm not a fan of PoR used late in the boil. There's not much commercial use of PoR as a flavour hop, I agree. Some people swear by PoR late, but they always swear by the fresh flowers.

Well I'm finally going to get around to making this brew tonight. Will probably take Nick JD's advice and drop the 15 minute POR addition. I have been drinking a POR Ale I made using POR as a flavouring hop and it's not that exciting so I think I'll keep it as a bittering hop only.

I'll report early results in a few weeks.

Leon

Well I brewed this up last month, and got it bottled on the 4th of December. I ended up having to add two extra sachets of yeast over the 2 week brew and even then I could not get the SG to drop below 1028. (OG was 1042).
No Krausen at any time during the brew. I swirled it several times and even stirred it up after adding the second extra yeast sachet. I then chilled it to about 12 degrees for a day (as low as I could get it without a brew fridge) and bottled it in PET bottles (in case of bottle bombs).

I can only assume the "Rice Maltose" in these containers are not properly malted and contain a lot of non-fermentable sugars.

None of the bottles have exploded or leaked yet and seem to be carbing up nicely. I'll be cracking one open next week to see what I have.

Leon

I'm pretty sure it was only $2 a tub at the local asian grocer.
Are you using yours as an adjunct or as the base for a brew? Do you find it ferments ok? As I said earlier, I couldn't seem to get it to ferment very well.

Leon

I added 1 500g tub to a brew i've got conditioning at the moment.

2 lagers side by side, 1 with tub of maltose, 1 without. The one with the maltose finished about 5 points higher. So yeah, obviously doesnt ferment the whole way out. Wish i had known before- would have upped the hopping a tiny bit.

I'm pretty sure it was only $2 a tub at the local asian grocer.
Are you using yours as an adjunct or as the base for a brew? Do you find it ferments ok? As I said earlier, I couldn't seem to get it to ferment very well.

Leon

As an adjucnt..........850g. liq. malt extract, 250g. rice malt syrup, 170g. dry malt, 40g raw sugar, 100g. Carapils, 120g. Crystal cold steeped 24 hours, 30g. Amirillo in boil 40 mins, US-05 yeast, dry hop with 15g.Citra, 10 g. Amirillo.
Makes 14 litres, abv about 3.9%, which suits me fine. FG around 1010.
I think you were wise to use PET bottles with that FG :eek:

From my previous exsistence in the food industry i will say that any dextrose, maltodextrin or the like sourced from China can be super inconsistent. The methods used to purify these types of products can be sub-standard, leaving lots of residual starches/non-fermentables.
The company I used to work for once accepted around 10 tonne of dextrose 10DE in desperation and used in in a product for a "large" supermarket chain. The purity was so bad that in process the residual starch gelatinised and cost the company lots and lotsa dosh!

Sounds like your risk is a safe one, but the bit about non-fermentables, I'm not suprised.

From my previous exsistence in the food industry i will say that any dextrose, maltodextrin or the like sourced from China can be super inconsistent. The methods used to purify these types of products can be sub-standard, leaving lots of residual starches/non-fermentables.
The company I used to work for once accepted around 10 tonne of dextrose 10DE in desperation and used in in a product for a "large" supermarket chain. The purity was so bad that in process the residual starch gelatinised and cost the company lots and lotsa dosh!

Sounds like your risk is a safe one, but the bit about non-fermentables, I'm not suprised.

The one I use is Pure Harvest Organic Rice Malt Syrup. On the label it states baldly "Ingredients- Rice" :D
You don`t say? :lol:

Oh good!
Well I guess rice contains starch, in fermentable and non-fermentable forms...so same deal applies.

Latest posts

Back