Chinese Hops? What Next

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:ph34r:
Flame suit on
You get what you pay for. See attached article/ tale of woeView attachment 30987
There is no guarantee that these hops weren't fertilized with human excrement and sprayed with DDT, there is little control over these practices in China, having said that Carlsberg and Saporro have made huge investments in Chinese hop companies so possibly some of the dodgy practices will be controlled.

So true mate, and chinese milk and toys are prime examples. BUT then again they make most of the LCD screens, and electronics now too.

Looking at things the company has been arround quite a while, AND they dont export a small amount. The fact they export, and have in place the paperwork and contacts tells you something. And they have been exporting to Australia. So then you ask to who!!!!!!

I bet there are micro's secretly using these hops, to avoid the high prices the local hops are sold at. BUT they wont say. Or does HOPCO top up their supplies, who knows, but we do know people are using them in this country, and in big lots. (if you believe the company.)

And yet again, there may be a thousand orphans peeing and pooing all over the crop to get it growing.

All we can do is see.

Craftbrewer

oh quality control is improving over there. Quite a few of those milk company executives got shot over the tainted milk powder

I love the constant assumption that there is little regulation in communist China.

The mind boggles.

So who is the Chinese supplier? or has that already been mentioned? has a background check been done?

WTF
WTF
WTF

You guys are going to get me shot. I did not start this thread to be a bulk buy, I just wanted to kick things off about a general discussion/info. **** ME. Thats all I need.
Thats just another kick in the balls for Aussie HB Retailers.
I loved how everyone was bagging the crap out of Chiese hops until they saw the price.
And thats why the country is in the shit. I hope none of u people have family or friends that USED to work at the Bonds factory in Aus.

Steve
Hey , hang on there matey. I bagged the shit out of the hops and you dont see my name on the list
The prices for Elleslies 1kg bags are good enough for me and craftbrewer or G&G for smaller amounts.
Stuff the chinese hops, as they are probably covered in ddt or some such shit

:ph34r:

I love the constant assumption that there is little regulation in communist China.

The mind boggles.

There are five levels of government there as opposed to our three. The township councils regularly ignore central government edicts (one example being tax cuts that weren't passed on, and ended up in the local leaders' pockets), leading to quite variable levels of enforcement of central government rules- power is much more diffuse and decentralised than it seems. Besides, to describe post-Xiaoping China as Communist is very inaccurate.

So who is the Chinese supplier? or has that already been mentioned? has a background check been done?

ElimNatural (HK) Ltd. Inc.
Tel:+86-574-27830590
Fax:+86-574-27830589
Web: www.elimnatural.com

There you go, say me doing the legwork, some-one out there check them out.

I am going to see if there are other suppliers as well in China, just to compare prices

I may even get them cheaper

Craftbrewer

There are five levels of government there as opposed to our three. The township councils regularly ignore central government edicts (one example being tax cuts that weren't passed on, and ended up in the local leaders' pockets), leading to quite variable levels of enforcement of central government rules- power is much more diffuse and decentralised than it seems. Besides, to describe post-Xiaoping China as Communist is very inaccurate.

I understand that as the Government is very keen on the export market, they tend to look over it more closely than the internal economy. Where they might let things slide internally, export orientated businesses are watched extremely closely.

Take the tainted milk powder. That was internal poisoning (within China) not world wide.

Craftbrewer

Sure, China is more capitalist now but did you really just said they are not a communist country anymore? And yes, there is a level of corruption. Same as here.

Neither of these situations point to these hops being poisonous due to a hopelessly crippled system run by barbarous, even murderous, bastards (I'm not suggesting you're personally saying that).

I understand that as the Government is very keen on the export market, they tend to look over it more closely than the internal economy. Where they might let things slide internally, export orientated businesses are watched extremely closely.

Take the tainted milk powder. That was internal poisoning (within China) not world wide.

Craftbrewer

OK, to be clear I don't think that there will be any problem with the hops- this is mainly because there will most likely be external investors keeping an eye on things. However, most of the export industries are controlled by the provincial governments rather than the central government (look at the success Guangdong has had in promoting itself through its use of SEZs and its proximity to Taiwan).

they have nice lovely nature banners on their website..what more could you want! kidding

there are a couple possible australian company links.
NINGBO INTERNATIONAL TRADE PTY LTD in Victoria
El Natural Pty Ltd in Sydney

Tradekey page outline is here.
fairly small and new company (only been in exsistence since 2008)

cant find any warning/danger refernces on the net.

they have nice lovely nature banners on their website..what more could you want! kidding

I am going to stick with them. Mainly because Carol has been sticking with me (like those love starved Skypers) and has been answering all my questions promptly.

I am liking the "nothing is too much trouble"attitude", BUT that could change once they get the money.

Craftbrewer

Oh it's funny reading the expert doomsayers commentary on here! If you don't want any, don't look, don't read and please don't post your scaremongering bullshit!

Shit, next we're gonna be told by some einstein that these hops were probably grown on a uranium dump!

Probably, possibly, maybe???

Ningbo rings a bell...wish our email search engine worked properly LOL

ElimNatural (HK) Ltd. Inc.
Tel:+86-574-27830590
Fax:+86-574-27830589
Web: www.elimnatural.com

There you go, say me doing the legwork, some-one out there check them out.

I am going to see if there are other suppliers as well in China, just to compare prices

I may even get them cheaper

Craftbrewer

I can see the call from an un-named HB shop owner threatening them with "going elsewhere" unless this bulk buy is stopped.

Graham,

Whilst you are searching, how abouts finding out if MALT is also available at similarly discounted prices :D

cheers

Darren

UPDATE

Well so far no problems. Shipping to Australia can be done, Cost looks very good, Customs and Quarantine are sweet, And interest is solid.

I am waiting on another e-mail to find out which ports they can ship to in Australia thru their shipping agent.

Whats left
1. getting a costing if we have to clear the port (if any)
2. setting up a distribution (depends where it lands)
3. The amount (its growing by the minute)
4. Payment (still sorting that)

As you can see its close

Now, I am off this forum til Sunday. I have a radio show to record and put up on the web. Beer is such hard work for some.

What can you do!!!!!! I think as we have never dealt with this company, we all should take the risk. So we should ask for money up front from everyone. That way if the hops dont eventuate, we all lose together (unless some-one wants to spot $1000).

1. Think about the best way to organise this exercise. All suggestions welcome
2. Do your own checks. Be happy with the company, source arrangement its BUYER BEWARE.

Many hands make light work on this exercise. I'll quickly post any further e-mails from the company as they acome in.

Off to prepare for anothr show

Craftbrewer

I can see the call from an un-named HB shop owner threatening them with "going elsewhere" unless this bulk buy is stopped.

One last thing

Its true this does happen. Last bulk hop order I did saw some real nasty behind the scenes action from interest groups wanting to keep inflated prices at the retail level.

Not going to name names, or say much more, BUt lets say I am expecting some interesting e-mails

Craftbrewer

One last thing

Its true this does happen. Last bulk hop order I did saw some real nasty behind the scenes action from interest groups wanting to keep inflated prices at the retail level.

Not going to name names, or say much more, BUt lets say I am expecting some interesting e-mails

Craftbrewer
There could be a show in that G. love your work on this.

Back