Chinese Hops 2010

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get real

I wasn't ranting, I hear a lot of support on this forum (and nearly any home brew/DIY site or forum) for local business and fairness how things are done. It was not out of context or malicious. As said before, apart from the ridiculous cheap price, if there was significant quality or uniqueness (desirable) attached to importing, that would be a good thing.

Sure, why don't we all buy Chinese hops. I suppose given the extra demand they will happily step up production and supply all our HBS. Our farmers can go back to growing POR for the big breweries and we can pretty much (eventually) kiss goodbye to any sort of innovation and fresh produce growers locally.

I'm not old enough to remember how good/big the aircraft industry in this country was but right now it's SHIT. Well, we can just keep shipping more jobs and talents out of here and live on the dole when there isn't any work left here that requires an ounce of brains. The miners will pull us through right?!

Way to go.

PS: I am definitely not against patronizing foreign businesses for quality and innovation. But for the mean mean thing of pure cost!!! Then ppl ask why we don't have any good beers on tap at the pubs.

Get off the gear

I'm with BYB... gunna grab me a nice cold beer from the Outlaw Brewery (non Chinese Hopped ;) I wasn't a good enough brewer apparently) and watch the monorail action from far far away.

My only advice to those tempted by $14-15 per kilo is "YOU GET EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAY FOR".

Chappo Out!

I'm with BYB... gunna grab me a nice cold beer from the Outlaw Brewery (non Chinese Hopped ;) I wasn't a good enough brewer apparently) and watch the monorail action from far far away.

My only advice to those tempted by $14-15 per kilo is "YOU GET EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAY FOR".

Chappo Out!

Hoping that the hop buy won't be total disaster,

wishing I'd heard about last year's 'action' to see what had gone before.......

time will tell now........

I'm sure there is absolutely nothing to worry about...

train%20wreck.jpg

:lol: :lol:

Mmmmmm beer! :rolleyes:

Bloke I've got some Chinese SAAZ you are welcome to if you want to critique before you commit :)
I arrived at the conclusion that my brewing time is too precious to waste on potentially second rate ingredients and to be stuck with a batch of second rate beer.
Feel free to PM me and I'll gladly give it to you :)
Cheers
Doug

$15/kg is cheap but is it good value given the quality?

I'll stick to importing from the US - good prices, good service, top notch hops.

I've still got over a kilo of the shit, cascade and saaz. I brewed one beer from it and it tasted like crap, harsh bitterness that totally over powered any flavour. More than happy to give it away if someone wants to pick it up or send me satchel to load up and mail to them.

I could not be stuffed cleaning and brewing for 6 hours, then more time fermenting and kegging only to have shit beer. I was not angry as 90% of the time you get what you pay and i was happy to take the risk. For some reason i dont want to throw them out, so any takers? I am sure the better brewers can make beautiful beer.

Cheap, flavour, bitterness. You can pick two.

This actually really angers me, the nerve of that prick.

I've registered at that forum so that I can let people know I'm happy to give my hops away for free to them.

I suggest others do the same.

Sure, why don't we all buy Chinese hops. I suppose given the extra demand they will happily step up production and supply all our HBS. Our farmers can go back to growing POR for the big breweries and we can pretty much (eventually) kiss goodbye to any sort of innovation and fresh produce growers locally.

I'm not old enough to remember how good/big the aircraft industry in this country was but right now it's SHIT. Well, we can just keep shipping more jobs and talents out of here and live on the dole when there isn't any work left here that requires an ounce of brains. The miners will pull us through right?!

Way to go.

PS: I am definitely not against patronizing foreign businesses for quality and innovation. But for the mean mean thing of pure cost!!! Then ppl ask why we don't have any good beers on tap at the pubs.

Supply and demand, my friend...you've only got Australia to thank for the things that you are complaining about above!

Cheap, flavour, bitterness. You can pick two.

If only I could pick 'cheap' and 'flavour', I'd happily use Northern Brewer for the bittering component. Unfortunately, the general consensus was that the Chinese hops had very little flavour. In the case of the Chinese hops, you could pick two, as long as those two were 'cheap' and 'bitterness'.

Supply and demand, my friend...you've only got Australia to thank for the things that you are complaining about above!
IK.... and only australians can even try to fix it :shrug: There is a saying, charity starts at home. You (me, anyone) need to look at how we treat ourselves before we expect others to be fair dinkum to us. I don't resent foreign sellers, they have to do what is right for themselves. Doesn't mean its good for us (doesn't have to be).

Phew, non rant over :) happy brewing +++ Happy fathers day to all you fathers.

I'm sure there is absolutely nothing to worry about...

train%20wreck.jpg

:lol: :lol:

Mmmmmm beer! :rolleyes:

Oh uncle chap chap good to see you're alive.

Cheers

Paul

Then ppl ask why we don't have any good beers on tap at the pubs.

My local has Tsing Tao on tap. It's delicious.

I'm coming round to your place and I'm gonna smash every item in your house that's Made in China. If I can't find anything, you're off the hook. :D

Check your clothing labels first.

How are you going to smash his shirt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back