Chilling a 'NO CHILL' cube - WOW

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bear09

Reaction score
Hi All,

So today I cubed up a double batch with the old man again and all went well. It was a hot day here in Melbourne and after Dad left with his cube I just could not help but look at my cube and wonder 'how could I expedite cooling you down?'.... Enter the brain wave....

After leaving the cube for about 45 mins to sanitise/pasteurise at 95 degrees + I simply picked up the cube and dropped it straight into the pool. It sank to the bottom and I left it on its side. I tossed it over gently every 20 mins. Low and behold, one hour goes by and that cube was below room temp ready to be dried off and stored. I couldnt believe it.

Now someone might shoot me down but I have confidence this will work for me as I did leave the cube for 45 mins FIRST before taking cooling action. For me this presents an exiting opportunity to chill the no chill and save a bucket load of water that is wasted when you coil chill.

Thoughts?

IMAG2478.jpg

thoughts: a well practiced routine going at least as far back as BBB's posts in 2011.

Messy if the cube fails though. Imagine explaining the the wife and kids why the pool has gone brown and you cannot swim.

My usual is this method using a starsaned cube. 20min for whirlpool after flameout then into cube. Fill 2 cubes and then give them a couple of minutes on each side. Into pool and dont touch until I remember to go and grab them. Has been working well for me for quite a while now.

I have learnt not to chill straight up and better to let it sit for a hour or 2 to ensure sterility..

SURELY someone's got a piccie of Yob trawling a rope of 20+ cubes around Idzy's pool to share at this point.....?

The irony is that it was 35C+ & no-one was game to actually go in the pool for fear of contracting something nasty & communicable, but everyone was happy to chill the cubes in it?? :huh: :icon_vomit:

I thought I did but can only find the upper level shot...

some.jpg

but rest assured, all of these and more went in..

Cubes.jpg

as did a few other items at various points...

Scoop.jpg

Hello,was advised by HBS that as soon as cubed,into swimming pool to cool down(no wort chiller/heat exchanger)the reasoning behind this was to stop hop oils being lost to excess heat
Just what I was told,made sense to me,Rob

Lager Bloke said:
Hello,was advised by HBS that as soon as cubed,into swimming pool to cool down(no wort chiller/heat exchanger)the reasoning behind this was to stop hop oils being lost to excess heat
Just what I was told,made sense to me,Rob
It depends what you're trying to achieve... Keeping the cube closer to boiling temps increases the bitterness, at slightly lower temps you are extracting more flavour/aroma and less bitterness.

I have used the pool to chill cubes I want to pitch within a day, typically wait at least 2 hours before dropping in the pool to ensure hop utilisation is consistent with my intended recipe.

Latest posts

Back