Chilli Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirty mac

Reaction score
I'm purely a kit brewer and was wondering if anyone knew firstly what type of beer you would use for a spicy chilli beer ie; lager, ale etc. and secondly would you use dried chillis or fresh. I take it you would add it when you are mixing up the wort etc. I guess I want to ask this question for any kind of additive, like cumin seeds, coriander seeds, orange zest, ginger.

(PS: Because I'm still learning I guess I have to understand what kind of beers would go well with what additives. I'm a chef so I'm pretty good at understanding flavours. Does anyone know of any good links of sites to explaining the tastes of different beers: ales, lagers etc)

:beerbang:

nice to meet someone that can spell coriander
best bet is to start using the search button up the top, then ask some more specific questions.
cheers

I'm purely a kit brewer and was wondering if anyone knew firstly what type of beer you would use for a spicy chilli beer ie; lager, ale etc. and secondly would you use dried chillis or fresh. I take it you would add it when you are mixing up the wort etc. I guess I want to ask this question for any kind of additive, like cumin seeds, coriander seeds, orange zest, ginger.

(PS: Because I'm still learning I guess I have to understand what kind of beers would go well with what additives. I'm a chef so I'm pretty good at understanding flavours. Does anyone know of any good links of sites to explaining the tastes of different beers)

When I was doing kits I used to put some chillis in almost every batch for a while. They actually work quite well with a lot of beers. The best ones are definitely the lagers or pale ales though.

The best one I did was with a Coopers Canadian Blonde kit. After that was the Coopers Bavarian Lager, which also worked well.

I used an easy method of simply adding a fresh chilli to each bottle at bottling.

I made on attempt at chillis in the wort but it didn't work out as well as I had hoped.

I've done a little bit of reading and most of the recipes I read suggested adding some at the end of the boil, just for 10 minutes or so.

Generally speaking most additives are added in this way, but that's a massive generalisation. There are exceptions and in many ways there are no rules...

I would just be a little scared of putting fresh chillis in the bottle as I'm not sure if youd be introducing a bug into the beer as the preservation mighten be strong enough. I might just try and Cutting up a few haberinos (hottest chilli in the world) and add while I'm filling up to correct volume.

RE: the coriander seeds would I just treat them the same as adding grain, ie boiling up the seeds for 20 then adding liquid?

I have put fresh chilli's (birdseye) picked straight off the bush, given them a quick rinse and popped them into the bottle when bottling. Didnt seem to have any ill effects from infections etc, and the other good thing is you dont have to dedicate a whole batch to being chilli.

Cheers

Yeah so did you get much kick from a whole one or is it good to slice it open first?

A whole one gives heaps of kick, I can only have one of them, but I make them for my brother in-law who is a chilli freak and he loves the stuff, he even gets the chilli out of the bottle and eats that.

A whole one gives heaps of kick, I can only have one of them, but I make them for my brother in-law who is a chilli freak and he loves the stuff, he even gets the chilli out of the bottle and eats that.

I'm also a bit worried about having a big night ol chilli beer which could be a little painful on the arse.

each to their own but I can't think of anything worse to put in a beer than chilli. although some might think that about strawberries!!

I just stick 1 or 2 habarnero's straight off the bush, sliced down the middle, into the bottle. Just spike one bottle per batch, and i usually save these brews for birthday parties etc. The best thing with habarnero's is that they have heaps of flavour up front, but it can take a minute for the heat to really come on. People tend to go 'thats not too bad', and take another guzzle before they really feel the blistering heat. There's nothing better than seeing your mates trying to act tough when you know they're really in pain. Then again some people tend to over react and think they need an ambulance.

As far as infections go i've never had one. Just a quick rinse under the tap and in they go.
One thing i've noticed is a reduction in carbonation & head retention due to the chilli oils.

If you want chilli in your beer but not the whole chillies,you can soak plenty of good hot chillies in a jar of Vodka.
This works really well,soak for a week or so then just tip it in your fermenter (strained)
You have no infection worries or carbonation hassles you can get with a chillies in the bottle.

Cheers
Batz....I Love Chillies !!

I dropped a few into bottles once.
Worked well.
Fire Water !!!!!!!!
No need for me to do it again :blink:

i reckon a heap of beers with a good beef vindaloo satisfies my lust for chilli and beer.

The effect you get also depends on the chilli used and the length of time in the bottle.

Habanero beers become fire water fast. I mean like one or two weeks.

As I said, I did this a lot and I personally liked Siam chillis the best, the long yellow Asian ones. Or red.

These also gave a nice flavour but most importantly as they aren't as hot as some it took longer for the beers to become liquid fire.

The Canadian Blonde with these was a very nice beer and made me wish I'd done more than the four that I did.

I didn't like them when they became too hot. That's when mates come in...

Tidalpete can make a chilli beer ! :blink:
Ask anyone at the Hinterlands first yeast swap

Batz

If you want chilli in your beer but not the whole chillies,you can soak plenty of good hot chillies in a jar of Vodka.
This works really well,soak for a week or so then just tip it in your fermenter (strained)
You have no infection worries or carbonation hassles you can get with a chillies in the bottle.

Cheers
Batz....I Love Chillies !!

Ditto :) I soak them in a pickle jar with Vodka or Gin [Gin works great..Yum] no one likes but me,but must be eaten with pickled eggs etc for full effect :blink: Curry does not 'cut-it' unless it is REAL curry with no meat.

has anyone tried adding the raw chillies (cut)into the fermenter rather than into the bottle after fermentation , have seen this on a recipe and wonder what it would be like , thinkin of makin it soon regardless, but has anyone else done it and how did it go ???

I have a porter on tap I added way too much vanilla extra to. To compensatve for this I addvied way too expresso coffee. Now I call it vanilla expresso porter. The expresso eactually has a kick.

well looks like im just gonna have to brew it and find out how it goes , will keep ya posted on the progress of it all

Back