Chilli Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a chilli lover from way back. Can't get enough of them.

Couple of years ago I made an APA and decided to drop some of the really small deadly hot chilli's into a couple of dozen bottles at bottling time.

There were no infections at all. I have to admit that I did not like it very much. I found that I did not taste the chilli in my mouth but got a chilli explosion in the stomach after it had been drunk.

Friends really liked it and wanted more.

I told them to brew their own. :lol:

cheers
johnno

ive got a recipe that suggests to simply chop up 5 chillis and put them into the fermenter and ferment as normal , its a simple recipe using only extract and dextrose...

Cant hurt mate, I'll be happy to suffer with ya even if it sucks!

Well the chili beer is under way , bit of a budget beer , coopers draught , brew enhancer #2 and 4 large hot chilis chopped up and added into the fermenter , started to ferment in about an hour , i hope its slows down a bit as the racking fermenter is occupied at present..

I brewed a Chilli Imperial IPA using all three methods outlined in Radical Brewing - Added 10 chillis (5 green, 5 red jalapeno) to the boil for 40 mins, added three firecrackers seeded and veined, sliced, to the secondary, and added a vodka chilli potion (vodka, 10 mild chillis, and a squeeze of lemon (rumoured to aid in chilli extraction) left for three weeks then filtered) to the bottling vessel alongside the carbonation sugar.

Approximately 7%, 60IBU, and an amazing flavour/aroma/warmth of chilli.

Only thing that worried me was that the chillis added to secondary floated around on top of the wort, preventing any kraesen from forming, possibly inhibiting secondary fermentation. And in retrospect my brewing practices were also a bit worrying. Still got down from 1.066 to 1.010 though.

I suppose it needn't be said that I'm a chilli maniac.

Latest posts

Back