Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
na..... its not to pour in with the meat to make curry, its a table sauce to pour on your steak, pork chop, lamb chop, chicken, tofu, whatever your eating.

I basicly do the same for a curry, making the sauce from scratch with a boned out lamb leg, only the sauce has a quota of vinigar in it to thin it down and also preserve it.

cheers

Mmmmmm i dont know about orange Bhuts. THere are several african habanero styled chillis that look like that. Bonda is a name that comes to me. Bhuts dont have a very fruity flavour. They are more earthy and melt the inside out of your mouth.

Speaking of Bhut Jalokias............. i made a big batch of Madrass curry sauce ,seeing as i had a glut of home grown tomatoes.

Toms on the left..... do you think i used enough Bhuts?

and 7 bottles of joy.

sauceinbottles.jpg

Tony - sauce looks awesome. Will try when I get fruit fly under control and get some hot chillis :( YUMM!

na..... its not to pour in with the meat to make curry, its a table sauce to pour on your steak, pork chop, lamb chop, chicken, tofu, whatever your eating.

I basicly do the same for a curry, making the sauce from scratch with a boned out lamb leg, only the sauce has a quota of vinigar in it to thin it down and also preserve it.

cheers

Looks bloody tasty mate
Cheers

I read somewhere about 'standing' the sauce while you have between simmering and bottling, kind of like a protein rest. This time I'm going for an overnighter.

Recipe is suchlike: (I, like some of the hardcore here, have made so many a sauces, a recipe is a list of ingredients only, there are no real measures any more)

Passionfruit puree -(two tins left of special)
Mint - regular and Vietnamese - shit loads of it (a cupped handfull when finely diced and I feel is not enough)
Habs - ferkin heaps of them, stems removed, seeds and flesh diced.
Reg Chillies - misc red and green long ones
Wine Vinegar - thought I had bough malt vinegar, but who cares :p
Sea salt - 2 big pinches
Pepper - ground, heavy splash of. Not fresh pepper to crack today.
Fruit juice - because I was being spiteful of the kids making a mess.
Apple - one diced. I could chop all day with a well balanced blade that is sharp as it is.

Tossed all in a 12l pot with about 100ml of water to simmer until mushy. Need to watch it though.

Laid to rest until morning, when I will blend it all and bottle. PET bottles are best with a 'pop-top' lid. Parents will have some spare from kiddy drinks. Great pressure valves. Then will re-heat and bottle, after allowing to cool in the PET.. No Chill for Life!!! :lol:

1109765.jpg

I read somewhere about 'standing' the sauce while you have between simmering and bottling, kind of like a protein rest. This time I'm going for an overnighter.

Recipe is suchlike: (I, like some of the hardcore here, have made so many a sauces, a recipe is a list of ingredients only, there are no real measures any more)

Passionfruit puree -(two tins left of special)
Mint - regular and Vietnamese - shit loads of it (a cupped handfull when finely diced and I feel is not enough)
Habs - ferkin heaps of them, stems removed, seeds and flesh diced.
Reg Chillies - misc red and green long ones
Wine Vinegar - thought I had bough malt vinegar, but who cares :p
Sea salt - 2 big pinches
Pepper - ground, heavy splash of. Not fresh pepper to crack today.
Fruit juice - because I was being spiteful of the kids making a mess.
Apple - one diced. I could chop all day with a well balanced blade that is sharp as it is.

Tossed all in a 12l pot with about 100ml of water to simmer until mushy. Need to watch it though.

Laid to rest until morning, when I will blend it all and bottle. PET bottles are best with a 'pop-top' lid. Parents will have some spare from kiddy drinks. Great pressure valves. Then will re-heat and bottle, after allowing to cool in the PET.. No Chill for Life!!! :lol:

1109765.jpg

That Rest In Peace sauce logo you have posted is the hottest thing I have ever tasted. 10++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++EXTREME

I basically do the same for a curry, making the sauce from scratch with a boned out lamb leg, only the sauce has a quota of vinigar in it to thin it down and also preserve it.

cheers

Hi Tony

I am hoping you might be able to help me with a problem with my superhots (Bhut Jolika, Trinidad Scorpion, Naga Morich & 7 Pot).
They are all dropping their flowers whilst the more normal variates are not having a problem producing chillies.
  • Whilst on holidays I had them in the veggie garden watered every day, I thought two much water so I moved them too a spot where they are watered twice a week. Still dropping flowers.
  • Tried to pollinate the flowers with my finger 2 to 3 times a week (one finger per strain). Still dropping flowers.
Very Frustrating, (first year growing these variates)

Cheers
Shonks

That Rest In Peace sauce logo you have posted is the hottest thing I have ever tasted. 10++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++EXTREME

I'm going to email them now Shonks... looks like they're in Aust :)

An SUPER HOT fruity sauce, REST IN PEACE is full of hot hot Bhut Jolokia - the official hottest chilli in the world, fresh Mango, banana, peach, 3 different honeys and spices, along with STUPIDLY HOT natural Habanero Extract.

This sauce is NOT for the faint hearted or inexperienced!

Rated at over 2 million on the Scoville Heat Scale, it has a burn far above what any single chilli pod can achieve!

Can't find a chilli sauce hot enough? Look no further! This blazing hot beauty won 'The Hottest Chilli Product' of the huge 2010 Araluen Chilli Festival, over many well known super-hot sauce companies, including the famous 'Blair's Death Sauces'!!

Damn that sauce looks good Tony, its making my mouth water.

Every year I say that I'm going to try making a sauce but it just doesn't seem to happen

Hi Tony

I am hoping you might be able to help me with a problem with my superhots (Bhut Jolika, Trinidad Scorpion, Naga Morich & 7 Pot).
They are all dropping their flowers whilst the more normal variates are not having a problem producing chillies.
  • Whilst on holidays I had them in the veggie garden watered every day, I thought two much water so I moved them too a spot where they are watered twice a week. Still dropping flowers.
  • Tried to pollinate the flowers with my finger 2 to 3 times a week (one finger per strain). Still dropping flowers.
Very Frustrating, (first year growing these variates)

Cheers
Shonks

yeah i have had this issue before but never put a bead on what it may be. I have some theorys though

Firstly i would check the soil pH.... make sure its running at the correct range of around 6.5 to 7. If the pH is wrong, the plant will have trouble taking up nutrients and may dropping flowers because it cant support the fruit, so it just looks after itsself. A bit like any living thing on earth..... self preservation comes first.

Also try some liquid fertaliser once or twice a week. I use a nitrogen righ one when the plants are growing but switch to seasol which has no nitrogen when they start to set flowers. THis encourages fruit generation over plant groath. GIve em a bit of nitrogen but cut them right back.

Do thay ger lots of sun? I cook mine till they wilt every day in the heat of my concrete pool yard and they fruit like mad.

cheers

hope this helps a bit.

I'm going to email them now Shonks... looks like they're in Aust :)

Hi Incider

Perth based, Scorpion Chilli is there sister company,
link
http://www.scorpionchilli.com.au/awards.html

The hottest sauce I've ever had, 1/4" teaspoon (sauce only) smokes me. The biggest effort I've witnessed is 1 teaspoon (sauce only), very nasty.
I suspect it has extract in it but you do get to taste the sauce for about 10 seconds before you forget about the taste, Very addictive.

It's about $35 fo a bottle, Not a bad price price to smoke your mates ;)
(A word of caution this shit is hot!!!!)

Cheers
Shonks

yeah i have had this issue before but never put a bead on what it may be. I have some theorys though

Firstly i would check the soil pH.... make sure its running at the correct range of around 6.5 to 7. If the pH is wrong, the plant will have trouble taking up nutrients and may dropping flowers because it cant support the fruit, so it just looks after itsself. A bit like any living thing on earth..... self preservation comes first.

Also try some liquid fertaliser once or twice a week. I use a nitrogen righ one when the plants are growing but switch to seasol which has no nitrogen when they start to set flowers. THis encourages fruit generation over plant groath. GIve em a bit of nitrogen but cut them right back.

Do thay ger lots of sun? I cook mine till they wilt every day in the heat of my concrete pool yard and they fruit like mad.

cheers

hope this helps a bit.

Cheers mate

I will measure the PH as I made my own concoction of potting mix (blood & bone, sheep manure & good quality veggie potting mix), I might have over done it.
I have also been using a liquid fertilizer called Chili Focus.
They get full afternoon sun.

The plants are only about 400mm high in there first fruiting season, They may go better as the mature and we get more constant hot weather.
If I get them to fruit I'll post some very proud photos
Thanks for your help.

Cheers
Shonks :icon_cheers:

ahhhhh there is is.......... 400 mm high

They are babies and will drop flowers.

As they get bigger and it gets hotter thay will stick some fruit. These varieties can be very temprimental if you dont have a good hot muggy environment and lots of sun.

Im gunna take some pics of mine on the weekend.......... Im really a bit worried by the anount of fruit i have coming on, i think i over did it on the plants.

There will be some serious amounts of chilli powder getting made.

cheers

ahhhhh there is is.......... 400 mm high

They are babies and will drop flowers.

As they get bigger and it gets hotter thay will stick some fruit. These varieties can be very temprimental if you dont have a good hot muggy environment and lots of sun.

Im gunna take some pics of mine on the weekend.......... Im really a bit worried by the anount of fruit i have coming on, i think i over did it on the plants.

There will be some serious amounts of chilli powder getting made.

cheers
Cheers mate, that is good news.
If you do end up with too much fruit you could always make a super hot chilli extract. ;)

Cheers
Shonks

Ok....... proud parent time :)

First up, my Bih Jalokia, closely related to the Bhut Jalokia, this is the true Assam variety from India. Also known as the Assam Bhut Jalokia. I have tried to grow these for years not and i finally got a plant to grow..... and isnt it doing well.

BihJalokia.jpg

BihJalokiapods1.jpg

Thai Super Hot. Lots of fruit on this one.

ThaiSuperHot-1.jpg

Thai Hot...... only a little plant but has millions of little fire bombs on it. You bite one off and it just explodes with a great heat in your mouth.

ThaiHot.jpg

I have 3 of these growing..... The Naga Morich Raja Mirch. These things are suposed to be massivly hot and im looking (nervously) forward to a red one to try. In the second picture you can see how spikey the chilli is :eek:

RajaMirchNagaMorichPod1.jpg

RajaMirchNagaMorichPod2.jpg

My 7 Pod..... enjoying its 3rd year. Im planning on tea-bagging some flowers to get pure strain seeds from them. I did this last year but lost the seeds. These are the hottest nastiest chillies i have ever come across. They make Bhut Jalokias look like fury kittens! Im gunna send a couple to Neil who does the chilli reviews on youtube..... see what he thinks.

TH7Pod1.jpg

TH7Pod2.jpg

TH7Pod3.jpg

Trinidad Scorpions are growing as well

TrinidadScorpion-2.jpg

I have others growing as well but will save them for another time :)

cheers

you are a true chilli tragick Tony, god bless you. I hope we get to meet at an AHB doo one day.

cheers

Browndog

one day mate.......... one day!

It must be done!

The brew food AND the beer would make an excellent day out if/when you get to a swap :D

Ok....... proud parent time :)

First up, my Bih Jalokia, closely related to the Bhut Jalokia, this is the true Assam variety from India. Also known as the Assam Bhut Jalokia. I have tried to grow these for years not and i finally got a plant to grow..... and isnt it doing well.

BihJalokia.jpg

BihJalokiapods1.jpg

Thai Super Hot. Lots of fruit on this one.

ThaiSuperHot-1.jpg

Thai Hot...... only a little plant but has millions of little fire bombs on it. You bite one off and it just explodes with a great heat in your mouth.

ThaiHot.jpg

I have 3 of these growing..... The Naga Morich Raja Mirch. These things are suposed to be massivly hot and im looking (nervously) forward to a red one to try. In the second picture you can see how spikey the chilli is :eek:

RajaMirchNagaMorichPod1.jpg

RajaMirchNagaMorichPod2.jpg

My 7 Pod..... enjoying its 3rd year. Im planning on tea-bagging some flowers to get pure strain seeds from them. I did this last year but lost the seeds. These are the hottest nastiest chillies i have ever come across. They make Bhut Jalokias look like fury kittens! Im gunna send a couple to Neil who does the chilli reviews on youtube..... see what he thinks.

TH7Pod1.jpg

TH7Pod2.jpg

TH7Pod3.jpg

Trinidad Scorpions are growing as well

TrinidadScorpion-2.jpg

I have others growing as well but will save them for another time :)

cheers

They look great mate. I think you have got a world of pain ahead of you after sighting your photos. I recon you are right on the money about the orange chillies you identified earlier in the thread, "Bonda Ma Jacques". They seem to match discriptions, photos I found on the net & they look like the same chillies Neil reviewed (he thinks they are pretty good). I can send you some seeds if you are intrested.
Have a good Xmas and all the best for the New Year.

Cheers
Shonks

Back