Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carolina Reaper, bought from Coles, you will need a heat pad and propagator to get them to germinate in the Southern states.
IMG_0451.jpg

edc3Lyh.jpg

Making an arse burning fermented naga sauce from the harvest..

Been a bit warm up here, the nagas are loving it. Self seeding everywhere.

Wow indica86. They look so juicy and tropical. Its friggen lager ferment temps down here in Vic. Still I just picked the last weather torn late survivors though like Habs, Bhuts, etc.
Otherwise its the cold climate chillies remaining like Rocoto, Thai Birdseye, cayenne, Twilight numix rainbow. I have to say they are determined survivors in this nasty colds at the moment.

The original plant is daft.
Planted in 2011. Still going.

Pity I can't get habs to do that. I may have to put some actual effort in, although the orange hab under the bananas seems to still be okay.

I get big frosts here in winter, i cover my chilli's all winter with a breathable cloth. The orange hab is the only chilli i recommend to people, its a survivor, always produces mass fruit, comes back every year, even after sub-zero temps in winter, and will germinate from its own seed with no effort. Other chilli's die on my over winter, or come back poorly with buggerall to nil fruit.

shaunous said:
and will germinate from its own seed with no effort.
REALLY? I cannot for the life of me germinate one of those fuckers from seed. Can you post me some of yours? I"ll send you some Nagas in return.

Orange Habs? Yeh sure. Think I got my original seeds from Stu? Sound right Stu?

shaunous said:
I get big frosts here in winter, i cover my chilli's all winter with a breathable cloth. The orange hab is the only chilli i recommend to people, its a survivor, always produces mass fruit, comes back every year, even after sub-zero temps in winter, and will germinate from its own seed with no effort. Other chilli's die on my over winter, or come back poorly with buggerall to nil fruit.
That's interesting. My experience with them the Habanero are big yielding but later fruiters that supply from late summer into winter but they are the most likely to die in late winter unless nurtured in a special way to keep them warmer. Without special attention I've got 2 seasons out of Habs at the most. 3 seasons from Bhuts (I've lost the true strain now).
The lasters are the colder climate breeds like Roccoto, Thai Birdseye, Cayenne, Numix Twilight Rainbow, and my own accidental crossbreeds that you get from harvesting your own seeds. Its a lucky draw to what you might get cross pollinated with the original chilli that you saved seeds from and it will be more acclimatized to your location.
Note: Roccoto will not cross pollinate with anything other than another Roccoto.

shaunous said:
My Trin Scorp is about 3yrs in the ground.

It looks narly

true that too for my Trinidad. Its so nasty hot I don't really need it so I've given it total neglect.
Yet it must be reaching its 5th birthday this coming season.

Before everyone busts a nut growing chillies from seed...it aint that simple

You need WARM soil, and expect to wait for 4 weeks before you see seedlings

Best method is to get pods full of seed and let the pod rot, just like tomatoe's

or soak them in miltons solution for and hour, helps break down the seed membrane

A propagator and a heat mat and you will be able to start any seed off, best thing to do with last seasons plants is cut them back and they should make it through winter.

I trimmed mine back early winter but with the warm days here they didn't exactly go dormant. Still lost one or two but probly from drying out in the pots as much as the cold temps.

Almost time to plant more. And way overdue to have a go at fermenting the huge bag of scorpions I have in the freezer.

1469753661788.jpg

Hi all.

My Devils Tongues and Fatalii seeds all have failed to germinate after multiple tries ...sigh. I assume my 7 pots and Bhuts are the same now. I had a dozen of each saved from a few years back but they are just too old I guess. Any fellow brewers and chilli heads have some I can liberate from you?

I will obviously pay any costs etc and a bottle of my sauce in return that I make from the harvest when I make a batch from them.

Cheers!

PM me I'll post some nagas down.
Mine self seed all over the place.

Was in Bunnings today. They had heaps of hot chillies, lots of habanero, and another 2 or 3 varieties, some that claimed to be the hottest in the world. I'm not willing to eat any of them so didn't purchase.
That was at the kingsgrove store in Sydney

Ducatiboy stu said:
Before everyone busts a nut growing chillies from seed...it aint that simple

You need WARM soil, and expect to wait for 4 weeks before you see seedlings

Best method is to get pods full of seed and let the pod rot, just like tomatoe's

or soak them in miltons solution for and hour, helps break down the seed membrane
6 days at 30C constant using the ferment fridge and got loads of chillis to germinate in standard potting mix in seedling trays. Jalapeños, orange and choc habs. Also perfect conditions for germinating eggplant and capsicum seeds. Use another fridge for the other vegies at 24C. It's a great feeling growing all your vegies from seed. Allows me to grow a much wider range of heirlooms rather than what bunnings etc think i should be growing.

Boondie seeds ftw (no affiliation).

Latest posts

Back