Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Airgead said:
Yeah. Not no fruit fly down there. . . Lucky bastards. I suppose they have to have something to make up for the fact that they live in Tassie.
You ever been here?
I would have thought a great deal of it would suit your lifestyle.

Pretty sure I get fruit flies in my beer glass from time to time. No I did not bring them with me.

I have been toying with the idea of extracting the oil from the chilies, but am at a loss to decide what I could do with the oil apart from making a super hot chili sauce or would the sauce only be as hot as its Scoville rating even if it is concentrated?
Your obviously dealing with too many scoville units like me. I give away a tiny jar that blows people away for a year.
99% Fresh bhut jolokia puree with just enough lemon and lime juice. Pressure canned in 125ml canning jars.
It captures that unique fresh flavour aroma bhut. Torturously hot for most people.

manticle said:
You ever been here?
I would have thought a great deal of it would suit your lifestyle.

Pretty sure I get fruit flies in my beer glass from time to time. No I did not bring them with me.
Actually I love Tassie. I'm just jealous.

But I didn't know about the fruit fly. I thought they didn't breed that far south.

I had in my mind they were one and the same but I believe you are correct. Vinegar flies they are.

wide eyed and legless said:
I have often wondered whether white dog shit would be good for the garden for adding calcium, just not game to try it.
Egg shells are your friend here...

Chilli overload at the moment again. Anyone in the area want some free? pm.

Choking depithing these I have to take a breather.

I'll call these Habanero Scorpions. Habanero Aroma with extra sting.

From my own kept seeds. This Habanero I'm quite sure is crossed with Trinidad Scorpion. That's a bit of a bummer really. They have that beautiful fruity Habanero aroma but its extreme. Maybe hotter than my Trinidad Scorpions. Most have the shapes more like Trinidad. Just depithing a few with face mask on and I cant deal with this coffing, its extreme. Oh well, anyhow.

Basic recipe to be canned and given away mostly. B)

Some big suckers too.

Danscraftbeer said:
Chilli overload at the moment again. Anyone in the area want some free? pm.
I read more about making the oil concentrate from chili which would end up almost pure capsaicin, I suppose it would only be good for pepper spray, but what you could do with the excess chili is make the oil and add the garlic and dilute it down for an effective bug killer for your plants for next summer.

I did, but the bloody things wouldn't germinate for me (I live in a cool/cold place). Maybe they were irradiated...?

I was wondering about this, I have 2 drying I will have a crack at growing them but not eating them, much sooner go 2 rounds with Anthony Joshua, bit of a coward when it comes to digesting something like those.

I just bought 10 Carolina Reaper seeds off ebay. Hopefully I can get them to germinate.

I had some jerky a mate made with these chillies, damn nice it was.

If you can't get the seeds to germinate I'll send you some Naga Morich seeds.... nice chillies that keep on giving.
Mine are now self seeding around the yard.

MWgZatS.jpg

I'll take you up on that offer, mate 'though FNQ is rather different to Kinglake in Vic.....

I'll shoot you a PM.

Ta!

Did a simple recipe last week and turned out to be the best sauce ive made.

Mix of..

Yellow 7 pod
Butch T
Chocolate douglah
Habs
7 pod chguanas
Garlic

Add all to jar. 1tsp salt and 1tsp sugar.

Fill with filtered water

Ferment for 1 week.

Blend.

Add .5 cup vinegar

Cook till half reduced

Blend again

Now put that Kamado to a good use and inject some of that sauce into a pork neck, leave overnight, then do a 20 hour pulled pork. ;-)

wide eyed and legless said:
Did anyone buy the Carolina Reaper when they were in Coles.?
They just appeared in my local so I have bought some, opened one up and stuck it in a pot.
Chillis seem to grow ok in my soil here. Plan is to leave in full sun, bring inside at night and water with tepid water and see if I can get some to sprout. Will also dry and save some seeds for next season.

Have successfully grown hab plants from coles fruit (and basic bird's eye, capsicum and tomatoes and a bunch of unrelated products) so I don't think irradiation is widespread - they rely on the convenience of available produce for busy lifestyles.

Funnily enough, I find growing my own veg is a massive daily timesaver.

Back