Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wide eyed and legless said:
Mr Wibble are you in Tassie? I think it is possibly bottom end rot, which is generally a calcium deficiency or watering intermittently.
I chucked a bit of my brewing Calcium Carbonate at my Toms when I got a bit of rot (I thought it was blossom end rot, though. I've been wrong before....). It cleared up on the following fruit.

Yes was aware but wondered if white dog shit is just pure calcium, remember the outcry about the Chinese using human shit to fertilise crops, I thought that was no big deal, it was done in the UK before they got flushing toilets and apparently was a very good fertiliser. But when I go into the oncology unit and see them putting lines and IV bags to be taken away and burned at 2000 degrees C
I don't think it is such a good idea as it is not known what has gone through a persons system

If Mr Wibble is in Tassie which I thought he is there are no fruit fly.Bottom end rot.

grow12.jpg
I'm not in TAS (Lake Macquarie NSW), but the rot looks just like the photo.
Except it's occurring while they're still very green.

Guess I better get to watering.
I have to lug water down there in cans, as the hose doesn't reach.

Yes was aware but wondered if white dog shit is just pure calcium, remember the outcry about the Chinese using human shit to fertilise crops, I thought that was no big deal, it was done in the UK before they got flushing toilets and apparently was a very good fertiliser. But when I go into the oncology unit and see them putting lines and IV bags to be taken away and burned at 2000 degrees C
I don't think it is such a good idea as it is not known what has gone through a persons system
Human poo is awsome.

We used to pump our septic tank onto Orange trees when I was growing up. The ones fertilised from the septic had much better growth and fruit

Ducatiboy stu said:
Human poo is awsome.

We used to pump our septic tank onto Orange trees when I was growing up. The ones fertilised from the septic had much better growth and fruit
But the fruit tasted like shit

Mr Wibble said:
I'm not in TAS (Lake Macquarie NSW), but the rot looks just like the photo.
Except it's occurring while they're still very green.

Guess I better get to watering.
I have to lug water down there in cans, as the hose doesn't reach.
So your not one of the Wynyard Wibbles then, my mistake, they can start with the bottom end rot no matter if it is red ,green or yellow.

I would think ag lime would be cheaper to use than the food grade calcium carbonate for brewing but I guess if it's the only thing on hand at the time. Checking soil pH and liming the soil if too acidic is a good way to make sure there is enough calcium. I had some tomatoes last year that kept getting blossom end rot, eventually worked out I needed more calcium.

I lost a few capsicums and chillies due to fruit fly a few weeks back, sucks to get to the ripening stage just waiting for the right day to pick and then losing a heap of fruit. I started picking a bit earlier after that but I love the sweetness you get from letting them ripen fully on the plant.

Dont use no shit unless its from an animal who purely eats grass/vegetables. And to narrow that down i'd only be using horse or chicken manure on plants. Sheep, goats, alpaca's etc. eat weeds and tree's and their shit carries the seeds, so hello weed haven!!! Cow shit is ok, but gets processed more within, having 4 stomachs would do that i suppose.

If you do use poo, compost it first. Kills the weed seeds. And makes the nutrients more available to the plants.

Any commercial poo you buy will be composted.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Human poo is awsome.

Yeahhhh, kinda..
I'd say more the liquid in between the layers of scum and sludge is the good bit as its chockers full of nitrogen and phosphorus, which is two thirds of the NPK macro nutrient trilogy anyway.
Once the anaerobic bacteria has had a go at the solids it basically settles out to sludge, then gets separated by the baffles in the tank itself. So I suppose its fair to say you're pumping out a shit infusion.
If your bacteria cark it, you'll pop the lid and discover a 1500L pile of raw undigested shit and paper staring back at you. So go easy on the disinfectant and bleach. I think Starsan would present no probs unless you emptied the undiluted bottle directly into the tank itself, idopher I don't know. I tip mine on the grass just because.
If your brainless enough to empty paint, oil and thinners down the drain, keep it up, you deserve it anyway.
Just thought I'd throw that in.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Yeast cake aslo goes very well in septics
Doesn't yeast effect the BOD of a system. Only saying this because it's what water companies stress about with their treatment plants.
That and water above 40degC.

Organics is amazing. There are pioneers on this shit / subject. Super fast composting using bacteria's from the volcanic lines at the bottom of the ocean (how the fark did they come up with that). Composted into good fertilizer in ~ 24 hours using a special rotation machine.
Apparently approximately 1000kg of shit and food waste makes 100kg fertilizer. Organic! No worms either.
Sorry no link. Just listened to the geeks doing it. Cant remember there name darn it.
I wouldn't try it at home myself though.

I have been toying with the idea of extracting the oil from the chilies, but am at a loss to decide what I could do with the oil apart from making a super hot chili sauce or would the sauce only be as hot as its Scoville rating even if it is concentrated?

Airgead said:
Yeah. Not no fruit fly down there. . . Lucky bastards. I suppose they have to have something to make up for the fact that they live in Tassie.
You ever been here?
I would have thought a great deal of it would suit your lifestyle.

Pretty sure I get fruit flies in my beer glass from time to time. No I did not bring them with me.

Back