Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No idea about the chillies, but that kitchen looks like it is straight out of the 80's...

Looks like Long Cayenne I get stacks of them when grown outside grew some inside this year and only got a few, same with the capsicums inside 3or 4 on a plant outside 5 or 6, must be the wind helping pollinate the outdoors ones.

Anyone else had to deal with aphids this year?

Had to give my reapers a spray with some diluted dish soap, which made not only the aphids drop off but half the leaves too.

From what little reading I've done on the subject, I may have been slightly over-feeding my plants. Ooops.

Edit: Also, picked up a red habanero plant from the big green shed's clearance rack for $1. Score!

Bribie G said:
Can anyone identify these rottweilers?
Yep, as WEAL said, look like cayenne.

Also - is that Stanley Leasingham Moselle in the BG? Memories...

My Butch T, Carolina Reaper and Orange Habs have FINALLY started fruiting in the last week
The week long 45-47C days we had in the middle of summer hit them hard and they kept dropping the flowers
Looking good now though
Ycbq5Xd.jpg

x1DAdZF.jpg

The way to tell if they are D'Abol blood shillies is to dry them out. If the skin goes like red cellophane then you have blood chillies

So does the long cayenne get that cellophane feel to it due to the silica in the pod, reason I guessed the long cayenne was if it came up unaware to Bribie that would be the most common, and they can be pretty fierce.
How big do the Habs grow I have a load of White Habs but only as big as an acorn, should they be bigger?

I'm going to lactic ferment them and do a Sriracha sauce, should last me for over a year.

chilli long 3.jpg

That's a two litre jar.
I zapped the chillies, added salt, raw sugar and my own giant garlic, plus a dose of kefir culture (that I get from Country Brewer) and covered with a layer of EVOO to keep the air out.
(I'll blend that in when I bottle next week or so).

sri 2.jpg

Hey sp0rk if you can make it to Grafton I'll bring you and Stu a couple of samples.

I made the same with Lemon Aji ( I did give you boys some at Roches a few years back ), that was real nice, not overly hot, but nice citrus flavour to it

!kg Chilies ( mashed/smashed..not blended to an inch of its life )

1/4 cup salt

You can tell when its ready. Stops bubbling and the skins are broken down

My last Tabasco one took 6 weeks before it stopped bubbling

I think I remember the one Stu, was in the white mayo pail? Went well on my burger IIRC, bewdiful.

Bribie's trying to destroy our palates before judging at Grafton show!

RdeVjun said:
I think I remember the one Stu, was in the white mayo pail? Went well on my burger IIRC, bewdiful.

Bribie's trying to destroy our palates before judging at Grafton show!
Yep that was the one

I hade one made from Tabasco's and the other made with Lemon Aji. The lemon Aji one was fantastic on fish

I noticed the Wandin Chilli and Herb festival is on soon for anyone in Victoria that is interested. New phone. Can't figure out how to copy link.

Ha ha. Don't mind me. I've been driving past the sign every day this year on my way to work and thinking, " must let everyone know about that".

Nice big fat chillies this season. Some freaky above these sizes and shapes. This is some of what I have on tap into winter.
Some hold fruit almost to spring next season. B)
Left to Right.
Cayenne (It must be a cross breed its too big and fat)
Rocoto (yellow and red)
Jalapeno
50 cent coin
Trinidad Scorpions. (Dark two are Chocolate Trinidads. Lighter one is Butch T)
My cross breed Mungrel Bhut Jolokia.

Chilli 2017 0002.JPG

Chilli 2017 0003.JPG

A few pics from the last second gen plants i had.
I got smashes by fruit fly and just gave up in the end. Was sad really and now fully understand why they are such a pest.
Anyway i got a few ferments and dried chillies out of these.
I made a ferment just out of reapers and butch ts. Its the hottest ive had.

So the list includes

Butch t
Reaper
Monster naga
Choc scorp (the hippie sead co)
Yellow jonah 7

The list went on but sadly all taken by the fly.

1493290522224.jpg

1493290561426.jpg

1493290586243.jpg

1493290626577.jpg

1493290664897.jpg

1493290705806.jpg

Latest posts

Back