Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Christ tony, those things look deadly. All ive got to brag about is a thai siam and an Anahiem that just wont die, they are the next best thing to a capsicum! i send them all away to my folks. So the may feel like chilli buffs! :D

GOt to get my hands on something decent soon. Maybe some organge habs.

Yeah mate the 7 Pods are very extreme. here are a couple of recent shots of what i have on the plants

7PodBulkclose.jpg

7PodPlant.jpg

As for Orange Habs............ they are good but there are far better varieties to grow. Orange habs are bunnings variety chillis.

Get your hands on some Fatalii seeds (yellow pointy african habanero) and some chocolate habs. Just as hot as the orange habs but they taste so much better and they look awsome!

If you PM me your postal details i will stick you on the seed list to be posted out once all the crops are in.

cheers

7 Pods look unreal.I gather they are not readily available in oz Tony.
Reckon i will get some Naga seeds from the Hippy chilli farm and see how we go next growing season.Is there an appropriate beer to go with these other than something very cold <_<

Cheers
Big D

These 7's are native to Trinidad Tobago in the west indies. I had someone there send me seeds from a plant they had growing in their garden. And no.... there not available if you want to buy them on the web. I have seen a couple sites listing them but they look more like habanero's..... shey should have very wrinkled skin.

They are smokin hot........ hotter than a Bhut Jalokia in the mouth. Actually they are past hot. They are ruthless! They are the only thing that has actually made me dance in true pain while i drooled and sweated for 10 min..... and i only had a slice of one. I eat whoile habs no problems and the great Bhut hurt but just made me spit a bit. The 7 was an extreme experience.

I will give a warning abouot Hippi seed co seeds....... Neil is a friend of mine and his seeds are great.......... i have some starting now to over winter, but be aware they are open polinated in his garden and may not be true strain.

I purchased my Bhut Jalokia seeds from a british on line seed shop that sourses their seeds fron the mexican chilli seed institute that has a reputation for reliable pure strain seeds. They cost a bit and took 3 months to get here but worth it for the real thing.

If you want seeds........ PM me your address and there will be seeds to come in a couple months for 7 Pods, Bhuts, Devil Tongues (rare variant of Fatalii) goatsweeds, and a no heat trinidad chilli called tobago seasoning that tastes like a habanero but has no heat like a capcicum

cheers

Hey Tony, I need some help. I'm trying to grow some seeds in a coke bottle with premium potting soil kept moist and warm but still no go after 3 weeks. Do the seeds need to be dried first? Or maybe those seeds are duds... :unsure:

How do you do it?

I used to use Premium potting mix for seed raising but have switched to a mixture of 50/50 beach sand/peat moss.

You can buy the sand and peat moss in small 2kg bags at bunnings. It holds the moisture well and wont compact alowing the seed sprout to bust out easily and the peat moss will provide a wonderful feast of nutrient for hte seedling plant before you plant it out.

these days i use 2 of the round plastic chinese containers like the fried rice comes in (the shape of a small planting pot.... not the rectangular ones)

I 8/10th's fill the botton one with the mix and plant 1 or 2 seeds in it at a depth of about 8 to 10mm.

I then place another contained on top to form a greenhouse type lid to hold in moisture and warmth. The soil needs to be gently wet till its just moist........ not sloppy. and bit of duct tape to spot the lid falling off works fine. No need to seal it airtight. As long as the condensation can run back into the base it will be fine.

I then sit it on a window cill where it gets afternoon sun but wont get too hot. During the night i move it away from the window and the top of the hot water system is a good option if the nights are getting cool. You want to keep the seeds around 25 to 30 deg and letting them dry out and watering the magain will change their temp all the time and not help things.

As soon as you have the sprouts out take the top off........ dont keep them covered up in the plastic for more than a day or 2 as when you do take off the lid they will shock and die.

once its been in there and growing for a couple weeks... i pot it out into some soil in a larger pot.

If they havnt sprouted you seeds could be duds, or they could be getting too cold at night or either drying out of too wet.

hope this helps

cheers

You Blokes are nearly as bad as the computer nerds...........Tabasco Sauce rools !!!!

cheers

Browndog

As soon as you have the sprouts out take the top off........ dont keep them covered up in the plastic for more than a day or 2 as when you do take off the lid they will shock and die.

cheers

ah ha! this happened to me i think! i had them in good position and they sprouted well enough. i thought they were going well under there so i left them for 2 or 3 weeks. they didnt seem to grow much so when i finally took the lids off they stayed the same for a week then all turned brown..

:( i got my seeds from chillibird and except for the nagas they pretty much all germinated, so i dont think they were crook seeds.

Tony,
You appear to have some awesomely powerful chillies there!
PM sent re: adding my name to the seed list. I like hot food, but you are almost scaring me with the descriptions given in previous posts..... almost!
Cheers!

I've got them on the window sill but I haven't taken them off at night. I reckon there might be a draught coming in.

I've got plenty of those plastic containers, now all I need is trip to Bunnings to get me some sand and peat moss.

Cheers Tony :beerbang:

You Blokes are nearly as bad as the computer nerds...........Tabasco Sauce rools !!!!

cheers

Browndog

:icon_vomit:

The VB of chilli sauce

Tony,
You appear to have some awesomely powerful chillies there!
PM sent re: adding my name to the seed list. I like hot food, but you are almost scaring me with the descriptions given in previous posts..... almost!
Cheers!

Oh you eat a slice of ripe Bhut Jalokia or more so........ the mighty 7 and you will know pain! you will sink into another place. You will wish you had a bucket of icecream to push into your mouth. You will wish you never asked me for seeds B)

BUt you only live once.......... and should try everything....... twice :) just to make sure.

If your a true chilli head the heat becomes an addiction. Its pain that you can rest assured will do no damage. It hurts like a hot coal in your mouth but goes away with no side effects other than a big natural high of an endorphen rush!

:super:

cheers

Edit:

Devils Tonues they will be in the seed list

MatureDevilTongues.jpg

Just received some Tepin seeds in the mail. I think they have been mentioned here.
Storm just missed a try, damn
The sender says they are fiery hot, but you guys are probably the wrong ones to ask eh

Tony , you are crazy

Broncos, pffft

My brother has a tepin plant growing......... its more like a woody tree.

Gets lots of small round berry like chillis on it that are suposed to be very hot. I will let you know soon and may get a picture of it when im there next. Its a great looking chilli.

Aparently its the origional chilli.......... the one all others are derived from

an awsome choice!

Col from my local HBS gave me some little chillies this morning. They are apparently called black pearl. They are little round berry shaped chillies. About the size of a blueberry. They are black but apparently turn red. Some are half black and red. Anyone heard of them? Dying to have a nibble.
Cheers
Steve

I have a purple chilli that turns red when ripe. Only small like a fat birds eye and of average warmth

Well tonight was the night. We tried a 7 Pod from the plant pictured above.

I sliced it in half and we (my brother and i) both looked at it and went........ Awwwwwwwww F#$K! And the smell! Intense to say the least.

We started to get nervous. Started to doubt our courage when we saw the yellow oily inside of that red bell from hell.

But..... as per our un-writen agreement..... we grow it, we eat it!

IMG_5355.jpg

IMG_5357.jpg

IMG_5371.jpg

I slice off a good chunk each.... a nice thick slice, and in it goes.

Instantly we both realise we have done something we shouldnt have. Like the first moment you hit very cold water after diving and realise its too late...... you cant get out of it now......... your in!

it hit in a few seconds...... this kind of sting, and the flavour... very intense like a hadanero, similar to the slavinis reds i had last year but much stronger flavour, almost overpowering. Hell the smell of them made you wince away it was so strong.

after about 20 seconds it hit like a freight train. We were both in a lot of trouble. more trouble than i had ever experienced before. The 7's off the other plants were nothing! Tis one is the real deal. No cross polination, just pure evil.

Intense pain! Not just heat that makes you dance and drool......... PAIN! It overtakes your body. I ate a fair chunk of my Bhut's and you could eat them for breakfast on your toast after these.

we both darted around my garage, hoping to outrun the pain. My mouth went numb and felt strange like it had been scalded with hot water. I had sweat dripping off my nose and chin..... and oh jesus almighty..... i realised i had some stuck in my nasal passage. I went for the nearest beer but knocked it flying.... i was all woozy with pain. I knew it wouldnt help the pain but i just wanted the chunks out of my throat. Grabed my beer (knocked over mt brothers) and washed the nasties down with a mouthfull.

I lost track of time but maybe 5 min of pain that wouldnt let go and my brother goes....... Na, im gone..... and runs for the laundry to be rid of the fire in his belly. He returns saying its worse coming back up but is better off for the purge.

Me on the other hand. I start to feel all dizy and light headed. After 10 minuites The burn has subsided to about the burn you get from a habanero and now my guts are getting upset. My stomach starts to spasm wildly. Im having trouble keeping it down. I say with a stern voice to myself....... Im FINE! and my brother cracks up. He saw the funny side of it anyway.

some fun pics of the mahem that is eating 7 Pods

Mt brother in trouble

IMG_5362.jpg

My Brother after 10 min or so

IMG_5363.jpg

Me with my tummy doing back flips

IMG_5367.jpg

And me chasing little Bro off with my mash paddle as he tried to take more photoes of me

IMG_5368.jpg

cheers

PS.......... to all that are getting seeds from these, be warned. I dont recomend eating them raw. Will make awsome hot sauce but on their own they are nasty. Try them if you want.......... you only live once but be warned. They HURT!

You're a legend Tony! Great story and pics. What next? Is that the pinnacle?

Tony, looking inside that chilli was like looking into the jaws of a nasty and fatal ambush. You don't even need to eat it to know that this chilli is not mucking around.

:beerbang: Tony, Lord of the Chillies. Mate you're crazy :super:

You're a legend Tony! Great story and pics. What next? Is that the pinnacle?

Na i have seeds (from the same lady in Trinidad that sent me the 7 pod seeds) for the Trinidad Scorpion. Its very similar to the 7 but has a pointy tail out the bottom.

They are the only chilli that Neil (the utube chilli eating fella) has publicly said "dont do what i did"

The pain inflicted from these things is incredible. It was like an old mechanical alarm im my head going ding a ling a ling a ling.

My sence of taste was gone this morning, couldnt taste anything.

now to make a firey sauce with them.

cheers

Hope you kept my adress..

Cant imagine 10 acres of 7 pods and Bhutts growing at my front door..

Kepp them bloody roo's on their toes.. :D

Latest posts

Back