Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No Problems Johnno (smith) :p

The dry stuff is not as intense in the mouth as a slice of a fresh one. you get all the juice from the fresh chilli that goes through your mouth.

In the pic of the 2 bottles of sauce above, i have had the 7 Pod sauce with 4 meals now and its only just hit the bottom of the neck. And it leaves you feeling like you ate a habanero. My other sauces that use 3 times the chilli or havanero heat dont last long at all and i can smear them like Tomatoe sauce.

Now the seeds are all open polinated but they should grow strait.

I find they like a nice big pot and i pot them in a mix of premium potting mix, about 20% peat moss, some blood and bone and a scoop of fire ash. THey go mad in that!

cheers

Collected the post this evening and discovered the packet of seeds.

Very generous Tony, not jusy a few seeds but dozens per variety. Even a plant killer like me will be able to grow at least 1 of these beasts.

The minute i opened the bubble-wrap i could smell the powder. Thats scary when you can smell a sealed packet.

Scary shit. Will wait till a few fellow chilli fans arrive at my place next weekend for a bbq and offer (with a warning) the powder around.

The minute i opened the bubble-wrap i could smell the powder. Thats scary when you can smell a sealed packet.
yup, the wife brought the mail in last night and before i even opened the envelope, i was getting ominous vibes from the contents :eek:
Even a plant killer like me will be able to grow at least 1 of these beasts.
dont worry mate, i usually have a healthy success rate with plants (except citrus for some reason). i am sure that within a few years, adelaide will be covered in 7 pods !!!!

thanks for the seeds Tony, very much appreciated. i will name my first born (chilli plant) in honour of your legendary work!

cheers
jon

+1 for the Thanks Tony. Received my special delivery yesterday also.

SWMBO thought they were panties in the mail :lol: , due to the bubble wrap I guess....?

They look good, and shall be planted in the coming months.

Thanks again!
Beers!

I've found a place to get some good dried chilies from as I couldn't find Chipotles anywhere in my local area. While I'd love to get some fresh habaneros, I'm limited for space to grow stuff (living in an apartment really does suck sometimes). My next best alternative is dried chilies, especially when it comes to Mexican & southern US cuisine.

If you do want some "different" chilies, or need a specific type, they can usually sort you out.

When I get a chance, I suppose I should post my recipe for my Chili Con Carne, which almost requires a beer to go with it.

Anyway, the place I grabbed my gear from was:

http://www.montereyfoods.com.au/

They are cool people, and will help out if there are any problems.

No problems folks :)

And i do want all of you to lick your finger, dip it in the bag and suck it clean................... It HAS to be done!

It wont kill you, just hurts a bit :)

The seeds should shoot..... there as fresh as they come. just plant them in either the coke bottle or chinese container i have described before and keep them in the mid 20"s. If they get too cold or too hot they can struggle to shoot.

Sortius.......... i have bought Chipotles from these people before and they are fantastic.......... both the people to deal with and the chipotles :) I have ground them to powder and used them in beef jerky marinaide............. yum :)

cheers

here are a few pics of the Chillis i have going ATM...... the very ones the seeds came from

7 Pod

7Podplant_apr.jpg

7podsapr1.jpg

7podsapr2.jpg

7podsapr.jpg

And the Devil Tongue. I lost a whole branch off this a couple weeks back with about 50 or 60 chillis on it. It gor wet and snapped of from the weight. It still has about 60% green chillis on it that are hard to see. Awsome!

DevilTongueApr.jpg

DevilTongueApr1.jpg

I wish I didnt live in a cold part of the country sometimes :(

All i can say tony is WOW! I dipped the pointly handle end of a dry teaspoon in adn licked it clean... burnt like a mofo! I then had to drive for the next 45 mins with my lips all red! Glad had a Dr. pepper. I didnt get onto the main road before it was gone! :icon_drool2:

I cant wait to plant these suckers.

recon we should wait till spring or we have enough time before winter to get these babies going?

recon we should wait till spring or we have enough time before winter to get these babies going?

In sleepy old Adelaide, I am hoping our winters are mild enough to plant anytime... I shall plant some this week and report back on progress...

Holy smokes tony, waht have you done to me.. i just ran downstiars and did your finger lick..... im going to be sorry for the next hour aint i!

Oh i stumbled across this interesting website when looking for this gif

http://www.hotchickswithdouchebags.com/ funy stuff!

My eyes, the goggles do nothing!!!!

7361da1d70dc41e8ceaf97257dd2d4df.gif

Having been to Tony's place...

Welcome to the house of pain... :icon_drool2:

Bhut they tatse awsome... :beerbang:

Save the seeds till spring

Id say end of august start getting them going. They are native to the west indies........ its always hot there. The devil TOngues are from africa..... same thing.

They wont grow in the winter.......... unless you live in north Qld.

I just went and did the licked finger test myself and the dry ones are less painfull than the freshies. get a small spoon full in your gob for the slice of fresh one experience. When you loose track of time from pain.... you know youve had a "7" experience.

cheers

Harvested today

Harvest1090426.jpg

Harvest3090426.jpg

DevilTongues090426.jpg

Pickled the Jal's.......... there just like the ones from the shops but better. Took me 15 Minutes from picking to having them in the jar.... too easy

PickledJals090426.jpg

cheers

50/50 vinigar/water
2 table spoons sea salt

slice up the Jals
bring the liquid and salt to the boil
chuck in the sliced Jals and return to boil
Boil for 20 seconds and remove from heat
spoon into jars
Top up with the liquid
put on lids nad rest upside down to steralise the lid

They esentialy no-chill(i) :) Steralise the inside of the jar and last for ages. I have some i did months back and still fine in the cupboard at room temp.

And they are so much better than the ones from the shops.

cheers

Tony you inspired me to do some more pickling so this is what I did.

Pile of green chillies (sliced)
3 cups white vinegar
3 cups water
2 tbspns sea salt

tspn each of Cinnamon, paprika, cumin seed, tumeric, fennel & 4 cloves.

I dry roasted the spices, then ground them and added to the boiling water/vinegar/salt. (smelt beautiful)

Put the chillies in the boiling mix for 20-30 secs and then spooned into jars and topped up.

Cheers
Steve

Next Harvest of Thai Siam, i'm going to-do up a Thai Fish Sauce/chilli condiment for rice and grilled meat dishes. Was awesome on the tables in Thailand everywhere.

Goes great with grilled pork. I'd like to use it as a base for Nam Jim (Fish Sauce, Garlic, Lime, Chilli Shallot, Palm sugar, tamarind) Dressing used for salads and grilled meats. I went to this awesome BBQ Chicken Restaurant in Bangkok (on Ratchadamnoen Nok Ave) before going to the MT Boxing nextdoor, We were the only westerners in the place... If anyone thinks 'Nando's' is the holy grail of chicken, they obvioulsy haven't lived.

We made pizza yesterday in the regular oven. This one shown here had 3/4 of the satchel of the dry 7 pod powder sprinkled over the top.

By time I had the first bite from the second piece of pizza (which was about ten minutes after eating the first piece) I reckon I was on a bit of a trip.

piz.JPG

Latest posts

Back