Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had lots of trouble with seeds from Chillibird. Not growing to what they were suposed to.

For seeds, give this fella a try. He is in Oz and is a dead set mega chilli head like me......... he has a passion for them, not just an online shop!

http://www.chilliseedbank.com.au/

Check out the Picture of the 7 Pot's....... :)
Cheers, thanks Tony. I'll have a look.

Tony, some great pics there on the latest batch of sauces.

Do you have any issues with the sauces going off? Or does the potent chilli negate the need for sterilising measures?

Do you boil the bottles in water once filled?

Looks great though! Cheers!

It doesnt last long enough to go off mate :)

Its about 40% vinigar and a good hit of salt and a 10 min boil before bottling stops it going off.

Ive kept it in the cupboard for month and month and its fine.

Will last longer in the fridge but like i said........ it doesnt lase long.

I put it on everything, had a good thick lashing of the new Madras sauce last night on a steak sandwhich and it was fantastic.

I usually boil the bottles before bottling bur if they are clean i dont bother. The sauce goes in at about 90+ deg so no different to no chill in my book

cheers

Some great sauce there Tony. Specially the Indian madras one. Going to have to give that a blast as im nearly out of sauce. With the jerky sauce please can you do step by step photos of that procedure as well?
Cheers
Steve

Edit....even if the jars look clean I reckon always stick them in a pot of boiling water with the lids.

+1 for me as well cant wait to plant the seeds i got from you there tony.

With the jerky sauce please can you do step by step photos of that procedure as well?
Cheers
Steve

Mate...... it is so simple its not funny. I pretty much did do a stap by step.

Just chuck in all the ingredients, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 min to soften it all and steralise.

then blend and bottle.

cheers

PS....... its just JERK ;)

I put my bottled tomatoe chilli sauce in the oven for about 20 mins @ 120-130*c with the lid on, and it vacume sealed it. :icon_cheers:

Mate...... it is so simple its not funny. I pretty much did do a stap by step.

Just chuck in all the ingredients, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 min to soften it all and steralise.

then blend and bottle.

cheers

PS....... its just JERK ;)

Oh right o - I thought the sauce was for making jerky. I know how to do the sauce.
No worries
Steve

Jerk is a jamaken way of cooking. Usually involves BBQ'ing chicken marinated in hot HOT chilli and christmas type spices.

Yummy :)

If it doesnt burn the skin on your face....... its not hot enough!

cheers

Loving the sauce recipes Tony.

I've been making a jerk 'paste' for a while now to marinade chicken/pork in for bbqing - lovingly called ringburner.

Similar to yours altho no doubt not even close on the heat factor ya crazy *******! Always thought i should thin it out to a sauce.

Why do you use xanthum gum as opposed to corn flour?

Indian sauces now too.

I'm still convinced you need to setup an online sauce shop. I'd buy them!

Mmmmm ringburner :icon_drool2: ... that's what you can bring to the case swap!

Loving the sauce recipes Tony.

I've been making a jerk 'paste' for a while now to marinade chicken/pork in for bbqing - lovingly called ringburner.

Similar to yours altho no doubt not even close on the heat factor ya crazy *******! Always thought i should thin it out to a sauce.

Why do you use xanthum gum as opposed to corn flour?

Indian sauces now too.

I'm still convinced you need to setup an online sauce shop. I'd buy them!

The xanthan gum is just the right tool for the job. Like the difference between brewing yeast and baking yeast in your beer.

I know a fella in Qld that used to make a bit of sauce out the back of his fast food shop for their customers. He started selling it on ebay and is now turning it into a dedicated buisness.

He uses the Xanthan gum and believe me.......... the sauces are world class. He took out best hot sauce in the word on an online hot sauce comp held by a massive hot chilli forum i frequent. It was his jerk sauce that won it and my devil tongues i grow are seeds he sent me from the chilli's he used in the sauce.

He sells small bottles of the jerk sauce on ebay for $15 each and mine is identical..... perhaps a touch more spice but not much different. In the photo i have about the equivelent of $70 worth of sauce and thats not including the indian sauce :)

I dont have time though.

cheers

I may be new to Aus, but haven't hung around...

Got the following off Neil from TheHippySeed Company... Check out his !!!

Corno di Torro Rosso*
Bhut Jolokia*
Chocolate Habanero (Congo Black)
THSC Savina
Dorset Naga
Bih Jolokia
Anaheim*
Tabasco (couldn't wait 4 years... not in the dirt yet!!)
Asian Birds Eye
Pusa Jwala
Aji Lemon*
Medusa

* in the ground... - well actually, still on the jiffy pads (- it's still a bit nippy if you're a chilli)...

Thanks for listening... :icon_cheers:

...and he's promised the first fruits of the latest 'Trinidad Scorpion'... which seems like a contender for Naga's burning crown... we'll see...

Last edited by a moderator:
I know not directly chilli related.
A tip I have picked up with jerk cooking meat on a bbq is to throw whole dried pimentos on the hot coals and place the cover on to infuse with the spice smoke. I have been planning to do this with a beer-can style bbq chicken.

That fella i was telling you about that got making nice sauce. He has made sauce with scorpions in it and held a Chicken wing challenge recently in QLD with wings coated in the white hot sauce.

here is the video link. CHeck the chick in the crowds reaction when she touched a little drop on her tonge :)

I have Trinidad Scorpion seeds direct from Trinidad Tobago to grow next season.

I have not tried one but i have eaten 7Pots, Bhut Jalokias and Dorset Nagas. The Bhuts are the guiness world record holders and i got pure strain seeds from over seas. They aint a pinch on the 7 Pot. And the scorpion is suposed to be nastier.

Its not so much the heat level, its the way they burn. Bhe bhut burns like a ******* but dies off fairly quickly.

The 7 Pots melt you moouth, tongue, throat and guts for aout 1/2 hour.

Cant wait to get the scorpions going.

cheers

Oh, here is the video link

http://www.facebook.com/ext/share.php?sid=...UwFx&ref=mf

Great recipes and pics Tony.Ones i will put into practice.
Out of curiosity have you ever made a slightly less hot sauce that can be used to marinade steaks or chicken wings/drum sticks.? If so can you post your recipe.

Cheers
Big D

:unsure: Ummmmmm

No i dont think i have Big D. I like it HOT :)

Mate just use the recipes above and add chillli to taste. They still come out the same but heat will vary.

The Jerk sauce would be awsome to marinate in! Great on prawns too!

cheers

Cheers Tony.I never thought of prawns with the sauce.Now youve got me thinking outside of the square. ;)

Cheers
Big D

Back