Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had 4 habaneros (seeds and all) sitting in a bottle of Bickfords lime cordial for 2 months. I use it as a mixer in the house cocktail but since this is the first time I've used habaneros (usually birds-eye) I thought I'd try one with just some soda water. Holy Christ! This is burning my face off.

It's pretty great.

Im going to chuck a couple 7 Pots into a bottle of vodka and let them soak for a couple months. I tried some chilli "moonshine" a friend made with home made 70% spirit and a couple of 7 Pots and habaneros and holy hell. It sets you on fire!

here is a pic of the last harvest i made on saturday

Left Rear: 7 Pots
Right Rear: Jalapinos
Front Left: Devil Tongues
Front Right: Bhut Jalokias.

Harvest0905301248x832.jpg

I also gave these and a heap of the red oned to Les a week or so ago.

DevilTongues090523.jpg

I will probably end up throwing some out.......... its just too much chilli..... even for me. I will dry a heap of them and have frozen a lot to use over the winter.

Its still a lot...... from just a few plants

cheers

Oh man! That looks amazing.

Careful with the chilli vodka. I tried a chilli wine once (think Stones but with chillies). The first taste was fantastic, hot as molten lava, but amazing none the less. So I downed the whole bottle and my guts hurt for days.

Nice harvest Tony!

Do you or anyone else know of an effective way to ward off possums? I planted a couple of chillies and many other plants on the weekend but by this morning possums had stripped bare everything but the rocket! I tried spraying chilli juice all over everything last night, but unfortunately it rained and ended up being no more than a tasty garnish...

Any advice would be much appreciated.

About the only thing i can think of is to build chicken wire cages over your plants.

About the only thing i can think of is to build chicken wire cages over your plants.

Yeah, from my frantic googling it seems that physical isolation is the only sure-fire method. Apparently there is no deterring a hungry possum. I think I'll try my luck with a sensor light and chilli/garlic spray before redecorating the balcony with chicken wire...

there is one other option but if you live in an apartment block, it may not work so well with the neighbours

Possum_Solution.jpg

there is one other option but if you live in an apartment block, it may not work so well with the neighbours

Heh, the thought had crossed my mind. It's actually illegal to kill a possum, unless it's in your roof and you take it to a vet to be put down...

oh bugger.......... shame. You can in NZ. They have the right idea.

Your not the first i have spoken to that has the problem of possums on the balcony.

Someone else on here has the same issue. He didnt want to cage them out and lost the lot.

oh bugger.......... shame. You can in NZ. They have the right idea.

Your not the first i have spoken to that has the problem of possums on the balcony.

Someone else on here has the same issue. He didnt want to cage them out and lost the lot.

Yeah, kiwis see possums the way we see cane toads. I just got back from NZ and the number of flat possums on the roads is amazing.

Bought a bottle of Vodka this arvo and made my Chilli Vodka.

This is going to be great next to the fire over winter....... with a bucket to drool into :)

I added 2 fresh 7 Pots and 2 Devil tongues strait off the bush. I cut out the seeds as i didnt want seeds floating around in there. They arent the hot bit anyway, as some think they are.

I shit myself when i shook it up and saw yellow drops of pure capsicum oil floating around.

They are slowly getting smaller and less abundent as they disolve into solution :unsure:

What have i done :huh: :eek:

cheers

Vodkawithchilli.jpg

Vodkawithchillioils.jpg

Just tried it.

WOW........ its hot!

Instant burn...... like an explosion in your mouth and throat.

heat like you ate a habanero and it burns for a good 10 min before dying off.

This will be a good party game i think.

Who can drink the most shots?

cheers

My missus made you proud last weekend Tony....

Picked all my chillies and she made a sweet chilli sauce that aint so sweet..

Homegrown Capsicums, Birds Eyes and Hab's.

All chopped up and left to cook for a couple of hours till it all reduced into a nice jam sorta 'ting.

had some on a roast lamb the other night and i dont even really dig hot food but this was to die for. Serious tastebud party stuff.

I would send you a tester but i know you would probably laugh at how "un" hot it probably is compared to your stuff.

Theres nothing like having a HOT chick in the kitchen :icon_cheers:

Sounds delicious mate!

I never laugh at anything with chilli in it. Its not all about how hot you can get it. YEah i make hot stuff but i enjoy mild stuff as well.

If it had Habs in it im sure it packed a serious punch.

cheers

Tony,

Love your dedication to all things hot. Had the opportunity to have a burger the other day. It is called the "Megadeath" burger. Now I like it hot, but this was bloody ridiculous. As was the cost. Very hot, I had to take a couple of breaks to get through it. As for cost $25. But for the experience worth it. I ordered it take away, but if you buy it in the pub, you get rubber gloves to wear and all the usual things to ease the heat.

After I had eaten, I washed my hands thoroughly and about an hour later scratched my eye. I certainly knew about it. Still hot fingers. Even after using hand wash to clean my hands. It also went through me like a dose of salts. Still hot at the last "drop" ;)

Cheers

HK

Tony, you are the chilli man.

I like the picture of the chilli's on the table with the girl (your daughter?) next to them.

the power in those chilli's would probably be enough kill a full grown human let alone a youngen.

It is like looking at tiger through the cage at the zoo.

When it comes to chilli, you certinaly do things by halves.

Latest posts

Back