Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mate mince one of these up fresh and mix it into your snags and you will save a fortune on gas.

Just sit them on the plate and they will cook themselves :)

I found a hab plant about a foot high with 5 green pods on it today. No where near any of my other chillies. Score! :D

haha nice one tony, i suggest a liberal application of icecubes to the cornhole if you decide to visit the toilet today.. i would probably hold it for as many days as possible! hahah

Thats too funny Tony......you are crazy!
Cheers
Steve

My brother has a tepin plant growing......... its more like a woody tree.

Gets lots of small round berry like chillis on it that are suposed to be very hot. I will let you know soon and may get a picture of it when im there next. Its a great looking chilli.

Aparently its the origional chilli.......... the one all others are derived from

an awsome choice!

Cool. I will sow some and get them going over winter in the greenhouse. That should give them a kickstart for next spring.

I am never going to try a 7 pod after your episode :p
Orange hab was the hottest thing I ever put in my mouth and that was enough

Those look awesome... and really businesslike. I've never seen anything like that.

You're a brave man, Tony. Brave, brave man. So's your missus for coming closer than five metres after that lot. ;)

Cheers - Fermented.

I think I've finally found a solution to my brushtail possum problem... he's going to think again about eating my capsicums when I've got some 7 Pots growing!

I had a great day with Chilli today.

Made 2 batches of Chilli sauce........ one a pineapple based Jamaken style Jerk Sauce. Its hot and spicy flavoured with christmas style spices. I used Devil Tongues and last years Chocolate Habs i found in the freezer. It came out awsome!

The other used 7 Pods......... in a suace i have called "7 TEARS OF PAIN"

ITs tomatoe based with evil 7's, some onion and garlic and a bit of smoked paprika. Im suprised the glass bottle hasnt melted yet. A drop on the finger gives about the same burn as biting into a habanero! :super:

When you see the pic below you will know why. HTe yellow droplets inside the chilli are drops of pure capcicum oil.

Most chillis have a few thin white strips of placental issue that hold the seeds........ and the heat (oil)

As you can see..... these are completly lined with placental tussue and have so much oil its pooling in sticky yellow drops of pain. I was pulling seeds from these with tweezers wearing gloves and just looking at that oil made my hands shake with a bit of both fear and excitement B)

Some pics..... here is the inside of the 7 pod

Insidethe7Pod800x579.jpg

The harvet of 7's from today...... heaps more to come!

7PodHarvest1248x832.jpg

And the sauces. I labeled the 7 tears apropriatly.

7TearsandJerkSauce549x824-1.jpg

cheers

Magnificent stuff Tony. I used to grow the plain orange habs, chocolates and red savina but found the seeds of my beauties were not viable and didn't grow when I tried to get the next generation.

Does anyone know where I can get viable seeds for a range of chillies, including habs?

I see the orange habs in the shops here, the chinese seem to like them and there are a lot of people from the sub-continent here too, but I don't trust the seeds from store bought ones either.

So can anyone give me a heads up, seeds or even better seedlings in my local area of Hurstville, but am willing to go to markets etc to find some. We are checking out Fairfield markets today,

Cheerz Wabster.

Both sauces came out fantastic. I had some of the 7 tears of pain tonight on a steak and bloody hell. Felt like i bit into a habanero when i finnished. left most facial orifices leaking and dribbling.

great stuff :)

cheers

Mate those 7's look pure evil (something the devil would have on his weetbix in a morning)!

Does anyone have any tips on preserving chillies...i.e. in vinegar?

I have hundreds of green chillies that are just on the turn (they are ripe and starting to turn red). I already have a freezer full of them whole. I would like to preserve them in vinegar, in jars. Ive read a few sites so I know the basics of how to do it but was just wondering if there is anything else I could put in the jars? Garlic, spices etc? Any suggestions? I am drying a few to harvest the seeds for next year.

I also have hundreds of the little red birds eye chillies (thanks oldy) which are just starting to turn red (they were planted late)....hope they hurry up before the frosts come :eek:(

What can I do with them all?

Cheers
Steve

I used to preserve them in vinigar but the heat and flavour leaches out into the vinigar and there just not the same.

Invest in a Food dehydrator and dry them. Once they are crispy i gring them in a spice grinder to powder and put it in jars ect......... you have some of the result.

You can then fit about 100 chillis into one jam jar!

Still just as hot and much easier to use in you food!

cheers

For all those on the seed list...... the seeds are packed up and the wife will post them off tommorow if she gets a chance.

I have included a small bag of dry ground 7 Pod and it should be treated with respect!

alig_respectnew.jpg

For all those on the seed list...... the seeds are packed up and the wife will post them off tommorow if she gets a chance.

I have included a small bag of dry ground 7 Pod and it should be treated with respect!

:beerbang:

Cheers Tony - want a few quid in return?
Cheers
Steve

I used to preserve them in vinigar but the heat and flavour leaches out into the vinigar and there just not the same.

Just had a thought.....you could use this vinegar in the vindaloo instead of plain vinegar :icon_drool2:

Cheers
Steve

From the ABC News (http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/04/11/2540819.htm) -

Indian woman downs 51 chillies in red-hot record

Posted Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:32am AEST

An Indian woman is hoping to enter the record books as the world's 'hottest' woman after munching 51 fiery chillies in two minutes, organisers of the feat said.

Anandita Dutta Tamuly, 26, chewed her way through the chillies before an audience late Thursday (local time) in India's north-east.

She consumed the chillies in the company of British celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay, who was producing a television show on food and anchoring the event in Jorhat, 300 kilometres east of Assam's main city of Guwahati.

"In two minutes, Anandita gobbled 51 red-hot chillies without batting an eyelid or shedding a tear, and also smeared seeds of 25 chillies into her eyes in one minute," Atul Lahkar, a chef who organised the show, said.

The chillies are known locally as bhut jolokia and are a staple of local diet in Assam. They are recognised by Guinness World Records as the world's hottest chilli pepper.

Guinness World Records had "asked us to provide them with a recording of the feat supervised by someone responsible. We asked Ramsay to be the adjudicator," said Diganta Saikia, another coordinator.

Ms Tamuly said she became hooked on hot peppers when she was five-years-old.

"I had a sore tongue and my mother applied a chilli paste to cure the infection. After that I developed a penchant for chillies," Ms Tamuly said.

Never having eaten a Bhut let alone smeared the seeds from 25 of them in my eyes I can't say whether this is physically possible or not but if it is we are all officially pussies.

Big thank you to Tony. :super: :super: :super:

WooHoo! Got my seeds toady and am looking forward to growing some of these.

The ground 7 pod is dynamite! As Tony says, treat with respect.

I wet the end of my finger and put about 4 match heads of the powder on my finger. Once in my mouth there was an explosion of heat so intense it was amazing. That was 25 minutes ago and I can still feel the heat.

No way am I eating one of these whole. I'm a chicken, I know.

cheers'
johnno

Latest posts

Back