Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah mate...... surgical gloves and safety glasses.

Was thinking of getting a condom and cutting the end off for when i went for a pee :p

Your not on my list for seeds Steve.

Want some?
**** thats funny :lol: :lol: I thought I had washed my hands carefully then went for a pee, goddamm did mister happy turn into mister angry!! so here's I wif me pants and jocks around one ankle, one knee up on the bathroom basin and scubbing away furiously with the soap!!
The wife walked in and surprised me, "honestly I burnt me bardi grub wif chilli sauce" says I, I'm still not sure she believes me :(

Cheers Steve.

This post is just for Tony as I know he likes to look at my boobs :D

**** thats funny :lol: :lol: I thought I had washed my hands carefully then went for a pee, goddamm did mister happy turn into mister angry!! so here's I wif me pants and jocks around one ankle, one knee up on the bathroom basin and scubbing away furiously with the soap!!
The wife walked in and surprised me, "honestly I burnt me bardi grub wif chilli sauce" says I, I'm still not sure she believes me :(

Cheers Steve.

I feel your pain brother! That routinely happens to me. After 15 years+ of growing and processing chillis you'd think I'd learn.

Observational point - Rocotos seem to give the WORST "hunan hand". Damn near have to dangle your junk in a ice bath!

Now, Hab burn on the other hand, I dont mind at all ( too much information....) B)

This post is just for Tony as I know he likes to look at my boobs :D

:D My spankin' sig was a bit much for the powers to be. The people of AHB loved it though!

Observational point - Rocotos seem to give the WORST "hunan hand".

I grew them last year and they have a slow creeping deep set heat. Never burnt myself with them but i can imagine. Heat is similar to the Bhuts but not as hot. I lost 95% of the crop to fruit fly! Bloody Queenslanders :angry:

I have since discovered a trap that has resulted in hundreds of dead flys and not one chilli with a grub in it! Will be growing them again next year.

cheers

Check out this 7 Pod. Very rare chilli and rumoured to be hotter than the Bhut Jalokia. I was sent the seeds form someone in Trinidad Tobago. They are preety much imposible to buy! I love how the bottom of them kind of recedes inside the base like a tail.

These are scary!

cheers

green7Pod.jpg

Yep, that little fella looks dangerous.

You need a non spanking avatar Tony :D

mmmm non spanking hey?

But i liked the spanking........ it jiggled.

Stu........ there will be seeds to share at this stage, but not many. Over 3 large plants there are only 5 chillis.

Pictures i have seen of these on the net have been the same. All the energy goes into a few thick fleshed drops of evil!

Lots of flowers now so should be more to come and i will be keeping them over the winter to get a big crop next year.

cheers

These came from the same pack of seeds but dont have the recessed look of the other plant. There are actually a few different shapes these grow in. Ithis one below...... the one above and one with golf ball sized chillis that are all pimpled and almost look like golf balls. I posted a ling a while back i think.

I have seeds for the later to grow next year and cant wait.

cheers

Here is one that has just ripened today so will know how hot they are soon.

FirstRed7Pod.jpg

Had a tasting session thisarvo.

First up was the ripe Devils Tongue. Cut a nice slice and chewed it up.

BANG! Instant punch in the throat! then the lips and front of the mouth was attacked. My tingue sizzled for a while and i drooled lots. Way hotter than a habanero. I can eat habs whole but a 5mm slice had me dancing. Great flavour. Tasted fruity with a lemon/spicy character. Great chilli packing a fantastic assult of heat and flavour.

Had a 15 min break and cut the ripe 7 Pod in half for a look. Lots of yellow placental tissue. smelt similar to the Bhuts but not as pungent. a bit more peppery if anything. Much thicker fleshed as well and lots of juice. That alone scared me!

sliced of a chunk and chewed it up. I handled the Bhuts ok......... this will be ok as well........ right?

WRONG!

Hoooooooooly Sheep Shit!

It took a good minuite to build. I got nothing at first.... for about 10 to 15 seconds and i thought, oh no, what have i done!

I drooled, and drooled, and drooled over the sink, non stop for about 5 minuites. I think the Bhut made me spit a few times.

I found myself shaking my legs around ,doing a bit of a pain dance. I withdrew into a better place and thought about a mouth full of icecream.

The heat seemed to soak into the flesh in my mouth and it just wouldnt let go. 10 minuites later i was red in the face, dripping sweat and kind of spaced out. I felt a bit woozy and happy if you know what i mean. and i was sober!

The most extreme chilli i have ever tried. And the scary looking ones are yet to ripen on another plant!

cheers

7PodWhole.jpg

7Podinhalf.jpg

If you look close at this shot, you can see the thick layer of red chilli flesh and then the inner layer of yellow placental tissue. Its yellow because its full of the stuff them make capcicum spray from! Evil stuff!

7Podaftertaste.jpg

Thats crazy! A lot more balls that me. I cry like a baby eating a normal hab
Cheers
Steve

bloody hell tony! your balls must be huge. love reading your chilli stories, biggups.

I ordered a pile of chilli seeds from http://thehippyseedcompany.com/ (the Aussie guy who does the taste tests)
I haven't planted the seeds yet, I'll post some photos here once I get some going. He was great to deal with, very quick and efficient with sending the seeds.
I was too scared to order any but he does sell the Naga seeds, if anyone is looking for them.
No affiliation, just a happy customer :)

Any body got a good chilli jam recipe?

Ingredients

500ml cider vinegar
250g brown sugar
250g raisins
4 or 5 shallots, finely chopped
1kg chillies, minced (cayenne works well, take the seeds out for chilli sooks. Mix and match different flavours like habs or red jalepenos etc)
2 Tbsp ginger, peeled and grated
4 cloves crushed garlic
2 tsp fish sauce

Method:

Bring vinegar and sugar to the boil.
Add raisins and cook to light caramel.
Add remaining ingredients and cook till soft.
Blend till a smooth puree is achieved.
Put in steralised jars.

Ingredients

500ml cider vinegar
250g brown sugar
250g raisins
4 or 5 shallots, finely chopped
1kg chillies, minced (cayenne works well, take the seeds out for chilli sooks. Mix and match different flavours like habs or red jalepenos etc)
2 Tbsp ginger, peeled and grated
4 cloves crushed garlic
2 tsp fish sauce

Method:

Bring vinegar and sugar to the boil.
Add raisins and cook to light caramel.
Add remaining ingredients and cook till soft.
Blend till a smooth puree is achieved.
Put in steralised jars.

thank you will try soon

Katie - are you wanting make jam (for your toast) or sauce for your dinner dishes?

For the jam i'd pick a favourite fruit like peaches for example and then work around that. Ive never made jam. I presume its just a case of boiling down and adding a bit of gelatine?

For the sauce its just a case of chucking everything in a pot and reducing it down and then whizzing it and bottling it.

Ive also got a question: Ive loads of green chillies and have been picking and freezing them. But when I use then the insides a pretty mushy and soggy. Can I preserve them in a jar of vinegar/salt? Any ideas?

Cheers
Steve

Back