Chill-zilla

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bloody hell Asher you look like your getting a top setup there. I like the "flame height is 8 inches part for the burners ! :eek:

You just need a PLC to automate it and you can sit back and watch it go! :)

What is the biggest brew you will be able to run? 50L?

Oh and is your recipe for your wheat beer you bought along to the brewers day out a secret? May have some temp control soon.

well done asher
love the whole set up.
and those burners...like wow gotta get me some of them.

more o/t coming up

cheers
big d

Jason,

the only secret to hefeweizen is fermentation controll...
I use the 30deg rule. - pitching temp + fermentation temp = 30deg

I pitch @ 12 deg to get a good lag phase (helps bring out the clove phenols from memory...)
then ferment at 18 deg.....

The recipe is simple:
50% Hoepfner Pils Malt
50% Hoepfner Wheat malt

16 IBU of Tettnanger (10 grams in the last ten minutes of boil)

single infusion mash @ 67 deg

WLP 300 yeast (very important!)

And thats it really....

Asher for now

Cheers Asher, should be getting a thermostat tomorrow, then I just have to build a collar for the chest freezer and low temp ferments should be the go.

Next question is who sells whitelabs in Perth, I think it's more expensive than wyeast but if its worth it then I don't mind the extra.

Need that yeast bank :p

Bloody excellent Asher and a top post.

You know, I am constantly amazed that someone in Australia has not gone to the States and sourced all this gear, at wholesale of course, and imported it for sale.
At the moment there is many hundreds of brew shops in Aus all selling basically the same stuff (I know some are slightly different and some actually have knowledge) but none have seemed to have gone down this path.
I assume that in the past the demand may not have been too high but things seem to be changing.
We all get stars in our eyes when we check out these web sites and if you consider the time it takes to source or make all this AG equipment there must be a market in Aus.
Just take the cf wort chiller for 109.00 US. If you look at the cost of buying a roll of copper pipe bending it up, putting fittings on it and silver soldering and possibly pressure testing it has got to be good value to import.( and you still have only an immersion chiller if you make one yourself).
I could go on and on but I guess some will get my drift.
Just my view.
B B B.

Whoa!
One nice looking set up happening there
How you get your kegs so nice and shiney

Jason,
If your lucky Malthouse in welshpool will have some (to go with the ESB wheat wort kits he sells). otherwise I get a couple mail ordered from ESB in sydney over winter and keep them going for a year or two before chucking out and getting a new strain....
WLP300 is quite different from the Wyeast strain and well worth the effort in getting hold of....
I'd give you a sample but have discarded it after the last brew and will be buying a new one this year. It seems to loose some of its character after a few generations (more than other strains anyway)

How to get shiny kegs.....
an afternoon with a few green kitchen scourers and some detergent brings them up brand new.... lots of elbo grease needed...

Asher for now...

and you end up with big arms batz :D

outa curiosity asher is your frame work stainless?

cheers
big d

Frame is made of 30X30X2 SHS (square hollow section) Galvanised
Welds done with 2mm general purpose mild steel rods. Then clear laquered joints to stop rusting...

Not sure how the Galv. will handle heat from burners, first brew will probably be toxic.. will make my octoberfest beer first up then to palm of to others so I dont poison myself....

Asher for now

thanks asher.it looked kinda shiny so i thought you went the whole hog and bought s/s shs.

cheers
big d

Latest posts

Back