Chill before bottle with s04?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louistoo

Reaction score
Hi brewcrew, I have an esb in the fv that has been stable at 1.016-18 for a few days. It's already really clear, so normally I'd take belt off now and let it get to ambient for 4-5 days using us05. Ambient now here in tas is pretty cold!
Anyway shoyld I chill it for a few days at our cold ambient temps or just bottle soonish at temp I finished it off with (23c). I know there should be lots of yeast about in it but gee it sure is clear looking now! What do you learned people think?
What I'm wondering is if after chilling will there be enough yeast to carbonate the beer. cheers

O.k silly me. Should have just google searched ahb back threads to discover the answer! :blink:

There's pretty well always enough yeast to carbonate after chilling it.

More importantly, what was the expected FG on that brew?

Recipe from Home brew beer by Greg Hughes had ~5kg grain including 230g crystal and 20g choc and 200g torr' wheat. Final gravity of 1.016 expected, which after taking a reading at 20c just now is what I seem to have. So finished I guess. Probably been there for about 3 days so time to take belt off you reckon?
Thanks Rocker

It sounds like it's finished then if you are getting a stable reading that is what the expected FG is, so I would say you can take the belt off yeah.

I only ask because S-04 has a reputation of slacking off towards the end of fermentation and not finishing the job. It can re-awaken in the bottles which can be an issue. I don't use it anymore for this reason, once was enough with the beer being overcarbonated and a couple of bottle grenades to boot. It's a shame because it went really well in my porter recipe apart from that issue.

Yeah I read about it's lazy nature finishing up so when the krausen died down I upped temp from 19 to about 23 on my temp controllor. Plastic strip on fv read 23 thermostat with probe taped to fv read 23 but on testing sample with reliable thermometer I got 17. I had to wrap everything in a towel though to get temp up so maybe that threw the readings out a bit. So cold here at the mo' even heat belt was struggling.

Back