Children And Binge Drinking

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not that its really directly related to the article, but my oldies have been buying me booze for parties etc since I was about 12. Yeah 3 longies for a 12 year old in a night is binge drinking, and I've binge drank a few times in my teen years, as im pretty sure nearly everyone has. I'm now 24 and I cant stand being maggot like that anymore, and have felt this way for quite a while - I'm drinking heavily if I have 3 beers in a night. Meanwhile, here are all my friends who werent allowed to drink till they were 18 still go out 3 nights a week intent on getting parro. I reckon introducing alcohol as something not so evil at a younge age would often prevent abuse later on...

Thanks RK. I *think* I might understand the system now!

A few years back i was researching anti-cancer drugs and the preliminary results showed that the drug i had developed had a 100% kill rate in a test tube.

I must have been sitting up too late too often - computing p-values for differential gene expression - and I completely misread that as

blah blah blah killed 100% of rats in a test tube

at which point I sat up and reread it. Still made me think of kittens in the airlock. Perhaps chasing the rats. :lol:

Binge drinking is more than three drinks a year under new guidelines isn't it?

It's a symptom of overpopulation.

There's too many people spending too much time at too many universities who all feel the need to give the country the benefit of their wisdom to justify the resources poured into their education, leading to competition amongst the academics for media attention which leads to a stupendously idiotic game of one-upmanship in the pursuit of the journo's interest, the ultimate winner of which will have their many-times-mutated-for-media-attention views broadcast to the public, who once again collectively roll their eyes and wonder what happened to the world they used to love.

The media have a lot to answer for.

Werenotleavingtillwereheaving.jpg

Perhaps the whole media arguement of a parent's influence on their child's future drinking patterns is not only inaccurate, but often completely wrong. Kids go through a rebellion stage, even if it's not a socially radical one. To many teens, their parent's lifestyle choices are gross. The idea of getting blind drunk, very messy, and with a deadly hangover the next day could be just the trick in making sure your kids don't abuse alcohol.

To illustrate an example of this theory, we recently had young guests from the UK stay at our place for a couple of weeks, newleywed relatives of SWMBO, both straight as a plumbob's twine. No alcohol, not even in desserts. No impure thoughts. They pray to their god vehemently. A Mormon god, no less. Guess what - one of them has a mother & stepdad that are chronic pot smokers.

The academic community, and the skewed media releases, fail to outline that tee-totalling abstince on a parent's part might be the culprit in leading to teen binge-drinking in kids.

You're arguing against environmental conditioning.

Ridiculous.

It keeps me off the streets late at night, so it must be good, hic

You're arguing against environmental conditioning.

Ridiculous.

Once again, Bum, I feel that the meaning behind your contribution is going to be lost on many readers.

On the subject of 'binge-drinking-teens' the concept of rebellious (?) youth evolution just won't sell newspapers. There's no shock value.

I suppose our local ferals who wander the streets causing mayhem and damage 'til the early hours of the morning would be the best judges of what and how to participate in this whole youth binge drinking culture...

Living close to the local park gives a rather unique view (ring side seats) to the nightly going's on but I've NEVER seen any of the combatants even look sideways at anything even remotely resembling 'alco-pops'.
The current weapons of choice around here seems to be large plastic bottles full of home mixed tonic with an occasional slab of cheap megaswill - good for pelting empties at the poor local bus drivers.

One of the local cops who turned up one night to investigate a person on property/attempted lead poisoning issue :ph34r: believed some of them were safer down the park brawling/drinking than at home which points to more of a social problem than an alcohol marketing issue.

25 years ago I was down at the same local park with the same skinned knuckles and knees but it was all 'in fun(?)' and we all had a healthy respect for local enforcement. Is this what's changed or is it the public's sensitivity heightened by the media's need to sell stories and boost ratings?

I doubt today is really any different to the past and will never be 'fixed' by political posturing.

Yes, but you do live on the Central Coast, where the feral/human ratio is different from many other parts of NSW. What you see is not necessarily indicative of the big picture.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Actually for many years it was second only to the Gold Coast for highest percentage of retired people...
Must be their fault. Got to blame somebody other than ourselves

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Actually for many years it was second only to the Gold Coast for highest percentage of retired people...
Must be their fault. Got to blame somebody other than ourselves

Not so long ago, the region was also known for very high youth illiteracy levels compared to the rest of the state. Or maybe that was propaganda from the big city.

Not that its really directly related to the article, but my oldies have been buying me booze for parties etc since I was about 12. Yeah 3 longies for a 12 year old in a night is binge drinking, and I've binge drank a few times in my teen years, as im pretty sure nearly everyone has. I'm now 24 and I cant stand being maggot like that anymore, and have felt this way for quite a while - I'm drinking heavily if I have 3 beers in a night. Meanwhile, here are all my friends who werent allowed to drink till they were 18 still go out 3 nights a week intent on getting parro. I reckon introducing alcohol as something not so evil at a younge age would often prevent abuse later on...

I'm pretty much in the same boat now. 23, finished uni last year and although I still get drunk from time to time, It's more from an overindulgence on good wine or imperial stout, etc, than a desire to get shit-canned. I'm actually dirty on myself whenever I do drink too much, because generally I'm a pretty boring drunk! I'm good value for an hour or so and then I just fall asleep... No staying power :eek:

Having to allay concerned mothers fears over their childrens runny noses/diarrhoea etc is also a bit of a deterrent to turning up for work hungover as well...

Yes, but you do live on the Central Coast, where the feral/human ratio is different from many other parts of NSW. What you see is not necessarily indicative of the big picture.
And it does make a ride back to epping on the Central Coast express train entertaining.
The amount of brown paper bags I see... ;)

Don't forget the "Red Cordial Kids" rampaging around the carriages.

Seriously, what is going on at the Central Coast ?

Latest posts

Back