Children And Binge Drinking

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahh, the media. Don't you just love it?

I have had a lot to do with Deakin University (SWMBO has a first class honours degree and a Masters from said establishment and I have accompanied her down there on many occasions) and I would have to say that many of the academic staff there are a bit pooncy and totally up themselves. I think it's a combination of inferiority complex because they couldn't get jobs at Sandstone universities and that they are forced to spend their careers in rather depressing areas such as Geelong and Burwood (although the small Warrnambool campus is nice apparently). If this learned professor is anything like a few professors and doctors I met there then his head is definitely so far up himself he can see daylight. Maybe he should get himself off to the Bended Elbow in Yarra st. and drown his sorrows.

I would have to say that many of the academic staff there are a bit pooncy and totally up themselves. I think it's a combination of inferiority complex because they couldn't get jobs at Sandstone universities and that they are forced to spend their careers in rather depressing areas such as Geelong and Burwood (although the small Warrnambool campus is nice apparently).

No, I think that sums up academia generally. Some fields are worse than others, and there are some notable exceptions (before my academic HBing mates read this!)

I have had a lot to do with Deakin University (SWMBO has a first class honours degree and a Masters from said establishment and I have accompanied her down there on many occasions) and I would have to say that many of the academic staff there are a bit pooncy and totally up themselves. I think it's a combination of inferiority complex because they couldn't get jobs at Sandstone universities and that they are forced to spend their careers in rather depressing areas such as Geelong and Burwood (although the small Warrnambool campus is nice apparently). If this learned professor is anything like a few professors and doctors I met there then his head is definitely so far up himself he can see daylight. Maybe he should get himself off to the Bended Elbow in Yarra st. and drown his sorrows.

Lovely. <_<

When reading media releases about "scientific findings" you really have to critically analyse it.

Evidence showed this [drinking at home] increased the likelihood of teenagers going on to drink more alcohol more frequently.

Note the lack of numbers quoted here, this suggests to me the numbers may not be significant. Also, does drinking more frequently relate well to binge drinking? 1-2 drinks a day is better than 7-14 drinks in one day, once a week. These may be things the article's author did not consider before writing this. Without critical thinking this sounds pretty damning!

This is just one example. I'm sure if the Professor wrote the news article it wouldn't be as exciting, nor seem as damning as the article suggests.

Interesting it also does not seem to consider the socio/enviromental aspects to which teenagers are introduced to alcohol. The article seems to assume that all teenagers, regardless of any other factors, are automatically going to become binge drinkers.

:ph34r: I believe the follow-up research from this professor is to claim with 100% certainty that raspberry flavoured vodka cruisers are directly 100% responsible for teenage pregnancies (and not just in girls as the previous indicators would leave you to believe!).

Cheers SJ

On topic, the comments in the reader's feedback section make a valid point that in many parts of the world (and I know this is the case in France, especially rural France) drinking is a family affair accompanying meals and children start sampling wines etc at a young age, with no binge drinking problems in those regions. However in the UK binge drinking is common and always has been, there are cultural similarities between the UK and Australia with pub drinking, restricted opening hours in the past and traditions such as the 'shout' all contributing to a tradition of heavy consumption in the evenings and weekends.

Growing up in the UK we didn't drink at home but I couldn't wait till I was old enough and by the age of 17 my buddies and I would be regularly paralytic at weekends, mostly on cheap sherry or apricot wine, and areas of Newcastle such as the Bigg Market area were the worst place in Europe on a Saturday Night with pools of vomit, dead bodies in alleys etc. Ah the good old days. :)

Hey JamesCraig you aren't at Armidale by any chance? Did some studies there - philosophy lecturers there are definitely NOT up themselves :icon_cheers:

Protz has some interesting comments:

http://www.beer-pages.com/protz/features/demon-beer.htm

Ah yeah. And what do you do for a living?

You may want to consider the news cycle and how it relates to the scientific community.

(Seems unfortunately closer to the truth than I'd like)
phd051809s.gif

And there you go Bribie, you've linked drinking patterns to something other than simply tasting alcohol. You've quite nicely identified cultural differences in the way children are introcuded to alcohol and hence a different attitude results.

Might be time to sew some brown vinyl elbow patches onto an old blazer and sign up for academia somewhere!

Cheers SJ

You may want to consider the news cycle and how it relates to the scientific community.

[iaaamg]http://www.phdcomics.com/comics/archive/phd051809s.gif[/img]

This illustrates my point exactly.

Ah, quality journalism again, a few quick soundbites and then leave it up for 'serious discussion' by AdelaideNow readers. Unfortunately this type of filler for the online and print media is on the rise, with opinion pieces and sensationalist articles becoming more and more prevalent. No wonder people are leaving Murdoch products in droves, perhaps they are seeking some actual 'news' instead of the drivel that is being put out....

No figures are quoted, no links given to the research to check on the validity of the claims being made. I don't think that it is so much the fault of the Professors as the 'reporters' whose reports are continually being homogenised and blended, and 'dumbed down' by assuming that the reading public are too stupid or lazy to actually form a considered opinion based on facts presented before them.

:End of Rant:

Crundle

Interesting it also does not seem to consider the socio/enviromental aspects to which teenagers are introduced to alcohol. The article seems to assume that all teenagers, regardless of any other factors, are automatically going to become binge drinkers.

Bingo! The ARTICLE, written by a journalist, is the problem.

:ph34r: I believe the follow-up research from this professor WILL HAVE JOURNALISTS CLAIMING with 100% certainty that raspberry flavoured vodka cruisers are directly 100% responsible for teenage pregnancies (and not just in girls as the previous indicators would leave you to believe!).

Fixed.

Ah yeah. And what do you do for a living?

phd051809s.gif

Bingo.

None of my research has ever made it to the media without first going via the media liaison officer, then a journalist until it looks nothing like the boring, scientific papers i publish.

A few years back i was researching anti-cancer drugs and the preliminary results showed that the drug i had developed had a 100% kill rate in a test tube.

Released to the media it would have read something like - Monash researcher has found the cure for cancer.

Not all us scientists/academics are up ourselves Bribie! Some of us are normal drunks like the rest of ya :lol:

But his message that teens should be banned from drinking until they are 18 will be difficult for parents to sell to their children, Federal Opposition families spokesman Tony Abbott said.

I thought it would be a cold day in hell when I agree with Tony Abbott.

Hey JamesCraig you aren't at Armidale by any chance? Did some studies there - philosophy lecturers there are definitely NOT up themselves :icon_cheers:

Yes Bribie, Im in Armidale, and a UNE alumnus.

I do have to admit that the UNE crowd of academics is generally a good lot. Again, it varies from department to department, and Im going to name names!

Havent had much to do with the philosophers really. Ive had a couple of beers with some of them over the years for sure, but nothing more.

Now that just smacks of anti-intellectualism, which is fine just not very clever.

..And a little insulting to those of us who may just be academics who happen to work at Deakin.

Latest posts

Back