cherries in beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nvs-brews

Reaction score
Ive been working on a experimental brew for nearly a year now.
Finally starting to taste the way i want.
Its currently sitting in 2 oak barrels (1x15L, 1x 4L)..
Now i have some cherries i want to add but i am not really after the sweetness.
I brew a lot of cider and know that on fermentation of my ciders that they tart as they go.
Do you think its best to ferment my cherries separately and blend later with the beer to get a more tart/sour taste?

Cherries won't add sweetness. They'll add cherry tartness. I'd add them, but if you're fermenting in oak barrels You may end up with brettanomyces in the barrels. Personally I'd purposely add brett to those barrels but that's me. Up to you mate. Let us know how you go

These beers have been fermented months ago.. These are blends of blends.. Think it is a blend of about 10+ I kegged a few months back and left.. Just a week ago I went from the kegs into the barrels.
The beer itself is mildly soured (from 1 of the blends).
So my options were to ferment the cherries OR just add get the juice from them and add that back into a "secondary" once the beer has reached optimum time in the barrel..
Or??
What do you think??

image.jpg

image.jpg

Boil cherries, mash, add juice to secondary, allow a week to ferment the added sugar then bottle.

my 2 bobs worth.

Sorry admin/mods..
Much more appropriate thread to post under!

yum beer said:
Boil cherries, mash, add juice to secondary, allow a week to ferment the added sugar then bottle.

my 2 bobs worth.
dont boiled the cherries unless you want a jam like flavour.
juice them and chemically sterilise if you must.

Back