Cheapest fastest brewing beer for a young guy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
indica86 said:
Get Belle Saison and ferment @ ambient, she'll be rite maite!!!
:icon_offtopic: You *******! Now shut up & go & change your armour! :lol:

Memainmon: DON'T try this until you're WELL familiar with a lot of beer styles & know what you like to drink. He's having a lend of you....... 'Nuf said.

Nothing wrong with kit and kilo. If you have the technique and can keep it at a stable temperature, thats most of your battle won.

Woollies home brand kit draught $8.90
1 kilo of home brand sugar $1.98
kit yeast
mix to 23l and place FV in your laundry tub fill with cold water some large ice blocks or ice packs you freezed the night before, change ice packs or ad ice as needed to keep the temp down

Two and a half cartons for under $11

:icon_drool2:

er, sorry, I meant

:icon_vomit:

at the end of the day, (from my perspective) it's worth paying a little more for some quality ingredients, you cant turn a pile of shit into chocolate cake but you can make a chocolate cake shit (referring to even quality ingredients can be fucked up) but if the quality is there and you have the process, it's gunna be OK

:ph34r:

I tried a few coles cans.
simplest recipe below

One can coles draught
500g light malt extract
500g dex.
40g Amarillo hops

Bring to boil malt ex in ~5L water add hops and start timer, empty contents of tin into same pot. At 20min pour half into ferm. vessel and top up pot with boiled water from ketttle and mix well. Pour that into ferm. vessel and mix. top up with tap water to 23L and mix. sprinkle can yeast and any other open packets laying in brew cupboard( may omit that part). best fermented at at 18degC for 5 days then bottle or just drink straight. this will make beer as good as big company pale ale. Sub extract and dex for some mashed malt grain and you will be grinning ear to ear. then you will realise how easy AG is :)

Got this link in an email last night. Cheapest method for temp control I have seen.
If you dont think it will work, there are plenty of options off the shelf, for more money of course.
http://www.buyincoins.com/item/45040.html?sc_src=email_755989&sc_eh=9d69208f1d1388a61#.VNvR3-aUesQ
I paid $2.50 for my first fermentation fridge off ebay. It still works giving me 20L of delicious lager every two weeks.

Bribie G said:
If you can find Coopers original series Lager on special for $12 or less, just use two tins with one of the kit yeasts (it tends to froth a bit) and keep it as cool as possible .... wet towels whatever.
You'll get a far more tasty beer than using dextrose and fewer off flavours, and still ten bucks a slab equivalent.
Are the kit yeast included in the tins you mentioned or do you buy them seperate?

Get Coopers the home brand use inferior ingredients .Get 2 cans and use both yeasts in the first brew and save some yeast for second brew from the first.

+1 for spending a little extra coin to get a better product. Coopers have some good ingredients and some straight forward recipes on their site.

If you are looking to save a bit, why not look into reusing your yeast or re-culturing yeast from a coopers tallie (or other bottle fermented beer).

You could then buy a better yeast like US05, Notto etc for $5 and reuse it over 3 or 4 brews OR just buy a tallie for $5 and drink the beer and reuse the bottle yeast!

indica86 said:
Get Belle Saison and ferment @ ambient, she'll be rite maite!!!
MartinOC said:
Memainmon: DON'T try this until you're WELL familiar with a lot of beer styles & know what you like to drink. He's having a lend of you....... 'Nuf said.
Why? Because most of us have done it that way?

OP is looking for cheap piss, why not at least use a yeast that naturally ferments best (meaning less off flavours) at higher temps, rather than a yeast that ferments best at 18 degrees and throws heaps of horrible flavours into the beer when fermented hot?

I reckon a coles twocan fermented with a cheap saison yeast in the garage might serve his purpose just right.

Bribie G said:
If you can find Coopers original series Lager on special for $12 or less, just use two tins with one of the kit yeasts (it tends to froth a bit) and keep it as cool as possible .... wet towels whatever.
You'll get a far more tasty beer than using dextrose and fewer off flavours, and still ten bucks a slab equivalent.
How would one can compare to two? And I am going to rig up a bar fridge so I can easily control the temp, is the lower end temps always better? I've decided fastest isn't the way to go but i'm still trying to save money.

memainmon said:
How would one can compare to two? And I am going to rig up a bar fridge so I can easily control the temp, is the lower end temps always better? I've decided fastest isn't the way to go but i'm still trying to save money.
The second can is being used for it's sugar content (also the bitterness and malt flavours make some contributions to flavour) instead of adding a kilo of dextrose/sugar/dry malt
If you don't use a second can, you'll need to add a kilo of extra sugars

memainmon, what equipment do you have already?

My first brew from woolworths using coopers kit, brew enhancer 2, drops and caps cost about $25 for 23L. Is that too expensive?

Florian said:
Why? Because most of us have done it that way?

OP is looking for cheap piss, why not at least use a yeast that naturally ferments best (meaning less off flavours) at higher temps, rather than a yeast that ferments best at 18 degrees and throws heaps of horrible flavours into the beer when fermented hot?

I reckon a coles twocan fermented with a cheap saison yeast in the garage might serve his purpose just right.
Agreed. I knocked this up and just started drinking now. Must say that it is very good! All up around $50 for 23 litres and 6% ABV. Fermented at mid 20's.

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/84632-easy-saison/

1.7kg Blackrock Pale Ale
1.7kg Mangrove Jacks Bavarian Wheat
500g LDME
25g Saaz Hops
11g Belle Saison Yeast

Yob said:
:icon_drool2:

er, sorry, I meant

:icon_vomit:

at the end of the day, (from my perspective) it's worth paying a little more for some quality ingredients, you cant turn a pile of shit into chocolate cake but you can make a chocolate cake shit (referring to even quality ingredients can be fucked up) but if the quality is there and you have the process, it's gunna be OK
LOL yeah it will be below par but the OP did request cheap! Ive never brewed a woollies can but im sure id be able to get through it no problem and neither would broke uni students and it would probably resemble what they usually drink Tun Bitter or hammer and tongs so theyd love it even more.

memainmon said:
Are the kit yeast included in the tins you mentioned or do you buy them seperate?
The kit yeast isn't too bad, and as posted it's under the lid. Out of necessity I've recently done two AG brews with kit yeast and they turned out ok.. not the best but good quaffers.

Using two tins you get a more commercial tasting beer as opposed to a thinner more "cidery" brew that you often get with just one tin and a kilo of sugar or dextrose or something.

Pity you live in Geelong, the Aldi stores don't have liquor there yet. So you won't be able to chug Rivet Lager at a dollar a tin while you are waiting for your next brew :p

I've been a uni student and that meant for many occasions I couldn't drink anything except Fruity Lexia if I wanted to drink and eat lunch that week. $30/week was all I had to go by and home brew looked bloody good because it meant I could drink beer.
A group of blokes actually split the cost of a Coopers kit so they could afford it. We then did a brew off-campus (weren't allowed to brew) and donated empties to fill. I still remember my first sip actually... tasted cheap, and wasn't wine. Oh yeah.

Fermenting fridge? Additional hops? Controller? Pah, I was lucky enough to afford meals outside of summer. I can understand where OP is coming from and I'm impressed at the advice in this thread. Sadly some people can't pay more for quality so it's either low quality, or go without.

I say go with home brew and love it. I support the toucan Coopers lager.

Back