cheapest birko 40l urn I found

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kingy said:
Where did you guys get ya cake racks to go over the exposed element in these rigs. Me mate brought one, probly won't need one till after summer but be good to know anyway. Cheers
Local $2 would probably have what you are after.

Hi u mentioned using a ball valve with the birko where can one locate this item and what is the benefits of changing to ball valve?

Most good hardware stores or homebrew stores will have stainless ball valves. Check the sponsors above.
Advantage is being able to partially close the valve to slow down flow and also there are a variety of fittings like elbows and nipples so you can slip your hoses onto. You don't have to fit one, but it does help.

Kingy said:
Where did you guys get ya cake racks to go over the exposed element in these rigs. Me mate brought one, probly won't need one till after summer but be good to know anyway. Cheers
Kitchen shops have roasting racks, which are quite good for this.

Rays outdoors have circular racks good for urns. Usually located near the cast iron pots/Dutch ovens.

Help me justify an urn purchase and go urn biab. How much do y'all generally pay for a 20l batch? Obviously depends on recipe... For camparison sake, kit batches usually cost me around 40-45 bucks with a decent yeast and good hop additions.

I'm loving my Crown urn, did a 2 hour boil on the weekend, very vigorous with no cutting out. Found the concealed element cover was about half covered with scorched malt when I'd finished, easily removed this with a SS scourer. The tap is very robust. Picked it up new for $150, I know someone though.

Alex.Tas said:
Help me justify an urn purchase and go urn biab. How much do y'all generally pay for a 20l batch? Obviously depends on recipe... For camparison sake, kit batches usually cost me around 40-45 bucks with a decent yeast and good hop additions.

Kingy said:
I Can brew grain beers for around $12 a carton. Or $25 for the ingredients for a single batch. (Not including gas or power which is bigger all.
but grain beer that cheap would be bulk buying and maybe owning the mill etc.... it's a slippery slope going all grain the setup costs are a fair few $$$$

you could lower you kit costs by reusing yeast and bulk buying hops ?

I all grain mostly BIAB and it is very nice and you have lots more options for recipes once you have the kit

Alex.Tas said:
I can do a BIAB for about $25 a batch, but I own a grain mill and buy grain by the sack. So unless you want to commit to buying that fruit, you won't justify it solely on cost.

However, have a taste of an all grain beer and let that decide. If you think that is where you want to go, then get the urn and have a crack. If you think there's only marginal difference between the two, stay where you

Urns hold their resale value so getting rid of one will be pretty easy for only a small loss.

Alternatively, get a Big W pot and follow the "All grain for $30" thread. Minimal outlay and gives an appreciation for how BIAB works.

I buy ingredients per batch and probably end up at around $40 per 23L batch, but that is less if I reuse yeast and/or have a simple hop bill (obvs no different from extract in this respect).
But, and this is a big but, the quality of the beer and the enjoyment of the process is greatly enhanced, so for me it's very much worth it. Being able to control the inputs and process of the mash is worth the effort in my opinion. I've never heard a brewer say they regretted going AG.

It's still going to be cheaper than a set of golf clubs!

curved roasting rack.jpg

from kitchen shops, curved roasting rack SS

If you have a mill and buy grain by the sack it can work out at around $2.50 a kilo average.
Add some spec grains and hops and reuse yeast, you can brew AG for less than $20 a brew.

The lager brew that I won a gong with in the Nationals would have set me back $18 for ingredients assuming I will re use the Wyeast three times at least.

Plus a dollar for the boil.

hmm good points. Sounds like the consensus is that its generally not a great deal cheaper unless you have access to good quality bulk grain. I haven't tried any home brewed AG beers though so maybe thats a reason enough it itself to give it a crack.

The taste should be the number 1 reason to change. The $$$ may be a bit cheaper in AG, the effort is a lot more. I guess it's a hobby that hopefully you will enjoy, so maybe time should not be a tangible figure.

Latest posts

Back