Cheapest adjunct

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've become a real fan of golden syrup to lighten body in British style beers. Not the cheapest, but I'm convinced it adds to the aroma.

CSR golden syrup or Lyles Golden syrup?
They're 2 very different beasts.

Fwiw, I did a taste comparison between the CSR GS and DarkCandi Amber Syrup (from the 2016 December Vic swap, http://www.darkcandi.com/am.html) and they're surprisingly similar. Definitely not the same, some elements are different; but still fairly similar.

Can't answer the OP though because the main adjunct I use is belgian syrup and that ain't cheap

$12 for a 500mL bottle aint cheap? How much of it do you use in a single brew?

OT, but there is a brewery in Chicago that makes a truffle infused pilsner. Retails for $120 for a long neck. They use Australian Black Truffles @ $2.50/g or $2500/kg. Which has me a little stumped. Now I've tried Australian truffles and truffles in France and Italy and the latter ones are way more fragrant/potent than Aussie truffles. Not to mention a heck of a lot cheaper. Italians pile it onto a 15 euro pasta. I would be happy to give it a crack at making a beer like this, but not for the price & quality of Aussie truffles.

https://concreteplayground.com/melb...n-truffle-beer-to-be-served-in-new-york-city/

Last edited:
I've become a real fan of golden syrup to lighten body in British style beers. Not the cheapest, but I'm convinced it adds to the aroma.
Golden syrup is that invert sugar.

CSR golden syrup or Lyles Golden syrup?
They're 2 very different beasts.

Fwiw, I did a taste comparison between the CSR GS and DarkCandi Amber Syrup (from the 2016 December Vic swap, http://www.darkcandi.com/am.html) and they're surprisingly similar. Definitely not the same, some elements are different; but still fairly similar.

I much prefer the Lyle's. If you can find the Bundaberg golden syrup it's far superior to the CSR, IMHO. Seems to be hard to find these days though.

EDIT: I have this project in the back of my mind to try making a Golden Syrup Wine.

Last edited:
I prefer my beers to be all malt but I have thrown some raw sugar into a couple of English bitters which have turned out well. I suppose I could just get a similar effect by mashing lower. I'm curious to try some golden syrup in one though. Other than that I don't use adjuncts, it's all malted barley.

I'm have just put down a brew using, for the first time, a Swiss dry malt extract. (from Beerbelly in SA).
Anyone know much about this "Swiss" malt?

I prefer my beers to be all malt but I have thrown some raw sugar into a couple of English bitters which have turned out well. I suppose I could just get a similar effect by mashing lower.
Originally, I thought much the same too but after much experimentation (FWIW, cubed TTL variant #80 yesterday) I've concluded its just not the same. The character is different and the sugar, around half a kilo in ~25L, has an important part to play in the flavour spectrum, palate sensation and other characteristics, much the way Bribie related above.

I'm amazed that the mere suggestion of adjunct pricing analysis even raised an eyebrow given the quantities used routinely both in amateur and commercial spheres. It is the individual's own choice, their own preference and expectation- cost is one factor, ease of integration and also inherent character are others, while each of us our own acceptable limits but as related above, achieving the objective without the adjunct has proved fruitless.

Completely disagree with the bollocking delivered to the OP. It was quite a shameful display really- expressing an opposing viewpoint within the amateur debating society is one thing but noxious abuse is another altogether and should not be tolerated in a mature forum.

Originally, I thought much the same too but after much experimentation (FWIW, cubed TTL variant #80 yesterday) I've concluded its just not the same. The character is different and the sugar, around half a kilo in ~25L, has an important part to play in the flavour spectrum, palate sensation and other characteristics, much the way Bribie related above.
That makes sense. I can't decide whether I like the recipe better with the sugar in it or just with more malt to make up those gravity points. I like both variants so I just brew it how I feel like it at the time. I will try one with some golden syrup too at some stage.

That makes sense. I can't decide whether I like the recipe better with the sugar in it or just with more malt to make up those gravity points. I like both variants so I just brew it how I feel like it at the time. I will try one with some golden syrup too at some stage.
Yes, WRT Golden Syrup, I'd do the same, by all means give it a whirl- I meant to note that earlier. AFAIK, its not cheap though!

On the character from both variants- an additional confounding layer of complexity is our occasional change in preference!

After a number of reports objecting to some aspects in this thread, I've sanitised it with some minor editing, although LRG was quite happy to leave it as it was.

Let's keep the thread on topic on adjuncts, whether cheap arse or not.

Back