Cheap v expensive kits

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can learn words from all sorts of books, not just dictionaries.

"You" is being used in its plural form here due to the somewhat hypothetical context.

What's wrong with "one", cobber? Phil the Greek and Charlie use it all the time.

That'd make it a wee bit hard to twist the knife afterwards though, yeah?

You can learn words from all sorts of books, not just dictionaries."You" is being used in its plural form here due to the somewhat hypothetical contex
So how about we just agree that you are an arrogant **** who thinks that his word is law and I leave this web site so I never have to see another post of yours again.
Goodbye all it was nice to know you and I appreciate all the useful advice I got from all of you except for Bum who is a total wanker

I have witnessed my first AHB Internet spazz up.

arguing-internet-434x500.jpg

I pacifically went out of my way to halp.

i recently moved to all grain after being predominantly discerned with kit cans. while i mainly used coopers cans (international series mostly) with bits and pieces added, i noticed a huge difference when i tried a can of Blackrock Golden Ale. id always guaged my success as a brewer by how my friends and family rated my beers and it wasnt until the blackrock can did i ever get more than "thats not bad!". another thing i noticed was that the higher quality kit cans seemed to come to their best a lot faster than their cheaper equivelant did!
just my 2c

My shit 'n' kilo has completely failed, the first bottle seemed OK but after a week and a bit it's simply awful.

Tipped it, putting some beer in there instead.

Please internet .. never change! There is nothing quite so fun as forum fires ... anyway ... I have found the more expensive kits do produce a better beer, though at the moment I don't mind 'doing up' a cheap coopers kit with additions just to give me something to guzzle on whilst I collect my gear for all-grain.

My best Toucan used a Muntons Irish Stout and Morgans Dark Ale cans. Pity I drank the majority of them before they came on song.

Can't believe I missed all the excitement in this thread. Well played good sirs.

Robbo - Have you made Munton's Scottish style heavy ale? How did you go? Any enchancements? I have a can and 1kg of 50/50 dark/light DME.
Do you rehydrate the kit yeast before pitching? Any advice would be appreciated.
It was on my to do list but I never sem to get to it, too many other nice receipe ideas keep popping up. If I were, I'd add perhaps 250g of light crystal to improve the head retention and also make it a couple of litres less volume than Muntons suggest.

I've been basing a Coopers Pale clone on a basic Lager kit as read by one of the Coopers mods on the forum. FWIW i've done identical brews with white label Lager and the Aussie Pale Ale kit and not noticed any great difference.

My best brew is a toucan white label stout and dark ale...

Only way to really tell would be to do two identical brews with different cans and ferment at the same time/temp - and then blind test.

damoninja said:
This is what I've been doing, but I didn't want to knock the cheap shit without seeing if it was actually shit!

If I can figure a decent enough brew with the cheap kits I'll do it on occasion...
This was exactly my thinking when writing the OP. I'm enjoying the discussion though guys!

hughesyp said:
I have brewed plenty of these and they have become my "signature" beer, and the best according to my mates who have a tendency to drop in for a freshie out of the keg:

1 x Homebrand Draught can - (Yes thats right I said Homebrand. At about $8.30 a can you aint gunna get much cheaper)
1 x BE2 - You can use a BE1 if you really want to keep the cost down but come on people!
12 - 16G Galaxy hops - Steeped for abount 10 mins prior to cooling the wort
Add some Dex if you want it stronger!.

At about $13 for 23 litres I challenge anyone to make anything better for the price
My original attempt at an el cheapo ale was awful. So tomorrow I'm going to give this recipe a shot!

Latest posts

Back