Changing font beer labels

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris7

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am hoping to change the labels on my font to some of my own but am not entirely sure how to remove the old ones and do not want to risk damaging anything. Anybody familiar with the font or how to remove the badges at all?

Cheers,
Chris ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1416653497.331400.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1416653519.063463.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1416653533.333139.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1416653547.384633.jpg

Add Hammer to the VB and you will see instant improvement LOL

just kidding..... can you unscrew or remove the badges from your font? whats on the reverse side?

No screws from what I can see. When I take the fat lock adapters out etc. there appears as though there may be a grub screw or something like that but I am not really able to get to it. As it is also and illuminated font I dunno if the screw is for those. I'm not sure if it may be one where the badges are there for good.

make sure u have no beer conectected(or power just to be safe) and unscrew that screw u mentioned,,, at least this will tell you if that screw is what you thought it was or if it holds the badges on

Yeh I will give it another shot, as I said it's not easily accessible though. Will try and take a photo of it later too.

Cheers.

Tried to get a pic of the thing I thought was a grub screw. No good, it is the end of a screw, I thought it may take an Allen key. On the front I managed to get a flat head screwdriver in between the font and the badge holder and could see both the wires and the central point that seems to be holding it to the font. I have decided to just leave it as is unless I can get the pros to do it though as I think there must be a particular way it needs to be done. Regardless of the beer it advertises, it is a beautiful font and I don't really want to risk breaking it. Cheers for your help though mate.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1416690664.367676.jpg

They are definitely removable,for maintenance and change of decal.
Is there a manufacturers stamp on it,if so contact them,also try asking some one in the pub business ( take some pics with you ).
Their not a screw on are they?,they look to me to possibly be,thinking about ease of replacement and changing ,try unscrewing the decal base plate by turning it to the left.
Gently of course so as not to damage it.
Is there a screw underneath the decal base where the decal base and font join ?
..cheers....spog...
P.S. nice font.

Chris

This style of Font is made by Andale. The glass (Acrylic) is pressed in from the front. you'll need nerves of steel and a very small slotted screwdriver. Run a craft knife or scalpel blade between the metal rim and the glass first to try and break any seal. then go in at the bottom and prise it out. You will probably damage it by taking out a chunk but that makes it easier next time. its actually not to bad the first time is the worst though. It was so bad I needed a beer to calm my nerves.

Glass removed.jpg
Chip in glass.jpg

I recently refurbished my font with all new seals. Andale still carry stock of these parts. Except Brisbane I cleared them out LOL

I have a similar font that I am refurbishing and need some replacement decals.

Is Andale the only place to get them? I phoned them for a quote on them and couldn't believe how much they were considering they are just a round piece of plastic.

They may be a small round piece of plastic but they are the only ones to have them so they can charge a keg and half for them.

Yeah i thought that was the case.
I have sheets of pollycarb at work that I'm thinking of using. Just need a way of cutting a perfect circle out of them.

philln01 said:
Chris

This style of Font is made by Andale. The glass (Acrylic) is pressed in from the front. you'll need nerves of steel and a very small slotted screwdriver. Run a craft knife or scalpel blade between the metal rim and the glass first to try and break any seal. then go in at the bottom and prise it out. You will probably damage it by taking out a chunk but that makes it easier next time. its actually not to bad the first time is the worst though. It was so bad I needed a beer to calm my nerves.

attachicon.gif
Glass removed.jpg
attachicon.gif
Chip in glass.jpg

I recently refurbished my font with all new seals. Andale still carry stock of these parts. Except Brisbane I cleared them out LOL
Cheers, this seems to be the go. So is it if you remove the Acrylic dome you have to use a new one? Or can the dome be re-used? And does it just have adhesive that seals it? I want to give it a crack but I won't forgive myself if I screw it up haha

Once you remove the dome, depends on how much damage you do as to whether you need a new one.As you'll see from my photo i chipped the bottom of the lens but now i have an access point where i can lever it out next time. Once you have removed it the next task is to remove the stuck on label. I ha an old VB one that came off really easy but I've got another one that is proving impossible. DO NOT BE TEMPTED to use and solvents like nail varnish remover as that will turn the acrylic white and make it fit for the bin.

I cut my new badge about 1mm bigger and the thickness of the paper between the acrylic and the rim wedges it in place, no adhesive required.

Im still trying to remove the bonded label might try heat from a hairdryer next to melt the adhesive.

Good luck

Ah cool. Thanks again for the tips. Once I have decided on some new labels to make I will give it a whirl. Have you tried Orange Power instead of nail polish remover/acetone etc? I used Orange power for removing any sticky residue and it is fantastic, might be an option. When I do eventually change the labels I will post here.

philln01 said:
Chris

attachicon.gif
Glass removed.jpg
attachicon.gif
Chip in glass.jpg

Well bugger me, I was sure the font decals would be easily removed and replaced,thinking that the font wouldn't be a one off install considering the costs of fonts etc if a change was called for....buuutttt big breweries paying for tap space,hmm.

Spog, I too was hoping the same thing. But when you look at the font in person you can't see any easy way of doing it. I had wondered if it was the domes that needed to come off first. Gonna be a pain to do, but not having screws everywhere makes it much more aesthetically pleasing.

Another thing, how deep were your lens'? Mine are quite deep but on the Andale site I can only find the flat decal lens.

Latest posts

Back