cascade & mosaic in smurto's ga?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would've thought it would have been larger, later additions? I thought 40 mins was basically bittering?

dry - hopping - just throw the pellets in?

Thx slc - anyone know if temp / fermentation practices affect hop aroma and flavour retention or loss?

Dry hop after most of the fermentation is complete, otherwise you will lose a most of the aroma from the fermentation process.

I have been dry hopping during the last 3 days of CC'ing. Seems to work well for me..

YMMV. Have a test and experiment further if required.

lael said:
Hey Taz.,

Fantastic! Widely loved. Although a lot of the fruity flavours coming out of the ferment didn't come through. Any suggestions anyone? (didn't dry hop at all).
Just thought i'd report back. Totally agree lael, excellent beer with the extra 20g of Mosaic dry hopped. This will be on one of my taps for a while to come!

cheers
Taz

Mosaic is a great hop. Seems to add a different fruitiness that compliments the citrus bite nicely.

Currently doing a rebrew of a beer with CTZ and Apollo for 'non-fruit' and then Mosiac, Citra, Belma, Amarillo and Cascade (which is new to the recipe) as fruity additions.

Great beer and SWMBO loves it.

I have been doing this for a while.I dry hop in the keg in a hop bag with Galaxy in one keg and mosaic in the other.Drop the bag in the keg just before cold crashing and leave it there. Sometimes bitter with magnum,whatever is here.All works well.
Just can't stuff up a DSGA.

I used to dry hop in the fermenter, but the dry hop aroma was always quite unstable it would last barely a month before disappearing from the bottles.

I now change to 0 min additions. After flame-out wait 10 mins then chuck the hops in for 20 mins before cooling/transfering whatever you heart desires.. though the aroma isn't as strong it does not seem to disappear like a dry hop.

Blitzer - that is interesting - is that kind of look doing a whirlpool addition? (same?)
Do you find it adds any flavour / bitterness? What temp do you reckon it is when you throw them in?

Lael, it's similar to a whirlpool style addition, basically a hot steep after flameout for a desired period of time, it adds flavour, aroma and bitterness, beersmith now includes a whirlpool/steep selection for hop additions.

I've tried it a couple times with IPAs and I thought it added extra levels of hop character, although you would have to probably use the technique with a recipe you were familiar with to gauge the effects properly.

Fairly similar to cube hopping when no-chilling. It does give you the isomerisation required, but given it drops a few degrees upon transfer, you get a shorter time at isomerisation temps - about the closest thing to a 10 min chilled addition in no-chill without going through other more time-consuming methods like Methode Argonaise.

Just did an inventory last night (because my spreadsheet I accidentally deleted on the home computer from drop box - yes I formulate at work), and found I'm almost out of Mosaic!

Better get ordering.

Back